Forums are back in action! ×

Game Exercise

Not sure where else to put this but were all nerds here. Some of us (Like me) are gamers and I'm a completionist or super competitive and I told my friends I could beat them at any game. One of them pulled out Just Dance 4 and not only did she kick my ass but I was sweating, like, more than a 3 mile jog on a hot Texas Day soaking wet sweating. I kind of dismissed most fitness video games because lets be honest, controlling the connect is aggravating and those Wiimotes aren't really measuring anything (Never had a playstation) I don't feel that tired from it but I almost slipped on a puddle so I'm doing something XD

Anyways, what are your guys' thoughts on the Fitness Video Game Genre?

Life Level 0 Half Orc

Exp to Next Level

0%
0%

Fit Level 0 Adventurer

| STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 |

Upcoming Challange: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48060-allen-titan-less-allen-more-titan/

"They need something to look up to. Having something nice to look at is just a bonus"

Hi, I actually research video games ...

It depends upon the game.  We've seen the dance games (Dance Dance Revolution for instance) adopted by some schools for gym class - you can measure intensity my heart rate, and those games usually get kids moving and sweating enough to count as exercise.

A lot of the other games are not particularly useful.  I haven't seen any studies on the Wii yoga or balance games, but I do know that they challenge me. 

I'm a big fan of doing whatever will get you moving on a regular basis.  If competitive dancing is that magic thing for you ... do it.

• Like 3

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I heart the Just Dance games.  We play them quite a bit, especially on family holidays.

Wii fit is a great way to get moving if you're used to being a couch vegetable.  I wouldn't call it a fitness program or a workout routine, but it's a lot healthier than sitting on a cushion.

Their great for getting you up and moving, especially for couch vegetables (like Shortgorilla), older people, and people with a injury or an issue that keeps them from doing a more harder workout. But as for a more in depth workout, it's a bit hit and miss

Catching them all from my iPad using tapatalk

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Pretty much what shortstuff said. I know I used to work up a mad sweat when I was in the DDR craze, but the fitness games are good for the most basic of things. I know my grandpa used some wii fitness games and party games for rehab after he had heart surgery. For a post-op heart surgery guy in his mid-eighties it was wonder to hep him recover (and he has been mildly addicted to wii bowling since).

Questing!

Current / 1