Forums are back in action! ×

What nerdy/crazy/weird stuff do you do?

I agree completely, but the basic stuff seems to be universal, I may need to prepare for a hurricane as opposed to tornadoes, but everyone needs water.

That's true, but my point is that having a bag full of stuff is only a small part of preparedness.   Barfly's list is excellent and comprehensive, especially in the context of search and rescue, but until you've thought through your situation, there's no way of knowing if that's what you need.  Yes, you need water, but depending on your situation, it might make the most sense to keep a few gallons handy, have any of several purification systems, or just drink it as you find it.  You might be in a situation where you should be thinking about hunkering down instead of bugging out.  You might be in a situation where "preparedness" means watching the tropical forecast and booking rooms at a motel 100 miles away before you need anything like Barfly's bag.

• Like 2

Zombies ain't getting me!

(but if they did, I'd eat your brain first :love_heart: )

That is by far the strangest compliment I've ever received. Thank you! :D

I'm surprised you haven't listed flares on there, what with you being search and rescue and all...

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

That's true, but my point is that having a bag full of stuff is only a small part of preparedness.   Barfly's list is excellent and comprehensive, especially in the context of search and rescue, but until you've thought through your situation, there's no way of knowing if that's what you need.  Yes, you need water, but depending on your situation, it might make the most sense to keep a few gallons handy, have any of several purification systems, or just drink it as you find it.  You might be in a situation where you should be thinking about hunkering down instead of bugging out.  You might be in a situation where "preparedness" means watching the tropical forecast and booking rooms at a motel 100 miles away before you need anything like Barfly's bag.

I agree with this, and regarding something like water, I would do all three. I'd have water stored, but also filter and purification options, Barfly's list gives me an idea of what filter/purification options work... as well as the rest on that list. I know there's more I would need given my location, Barfly is simply a starting point created by someone who has been there.

The fire danger is too high here in California.

What about something like this... http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/emergency-strobe/9-in-1-super-bright-led-safety-flare/1317/

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I'll go over it from memory for now, I'll double check when I can get out to the car this afternoon.

Wow!  Great list!  Many thanks.

I'm one of those who needs to think a little differently.  Living in a major city, I don't have to worry as much about shelter since there's likely to be a building I can use, but I do need to worry more about human encounters, broken glass, fires, and the like.  And water, of course.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm one of those who needs to think a little differently.  Living in a major city, I don't have to worry as much about shelter since there's likely to be a building I can use, but I do need to worry more about human encounters, broken glass, fires, and the like.  And water, of course.  

The problem with water in a major city is that I'd be extremely hesitant to drink anything other than bottled water, no matter how much I purified it.  I mean, I guess drinking from an urban stream beats dying from thirst, but not by much.  So really, you're looking at hoarding bottled water.  Unless your house is underwater and/or on fire, your best plan is probably to stay inside with your food and water and wait until rescuse services get there.  If your house is underwater or on fire, you're probably not taking more than a gallon of water with you, which is on the low end of what you need, but enough to survive several (thirsty) days if you ration it.  At that point, as you say, potential chaos around you becomes the biggest problem.  If I lived in a major city, I'd at least consider putting a handgun in my BOB.

Of course, this assumes that you're trapped in a city in the aftermath of some disaster, which is a horrible place to be.  I know you can't head for the hills every time the river starts to rise, but when you think about something like Katrina or Sandy, there was plenty of warning, and you'd much rather be the guy who got out while the getting was good than the guy who ended up on his roof after the levee broke (I know that some people didn't have that option due to poverty or infirmity).  If you find yourself in a situation where your BOB matters, that means you've already burned through every other contingency plan and your buffer for survival is down to what you can grab on your way out the door and carry on your back.  There may be situations where that's unavoidable, but I'd put more thought into how to avoid needing a BOB than into packing one.

• Like 2

There are a couple more places you can get water from in the city most psople don't think about, particularly the back of toilet tanks and hot water heaters. A 50 gallon water heater could supply water for a pretty decent period of times, times how many heaters are in close by proximity, there is the potential for alot of untapped water resources.

Also you can pee in a bottle and distill it with some plastic wrap..but that seems like a last ditch type of effort.

There are a couple more places you can get water from in the city most psople don't think about, particularly the back of toilet tanks and hot water heaters. A 50 gallon water heater could supply water for a pretty decent period of times, times how many heaters are in close by proximity, there is the potential for alot of untapped water resources.

Also you can pee in a bottle and distill it with some plastic wrap..but that seems like a last ditch type of effort.

All good points, though I'd put toilet tanks and hot water heaters almost as low as urban streams on my list of things I want to drink from.  If it's life or death, it's a good thing to keep in mind, though.  But really, just go down to the store, drop $10-20 on gallon jugs of water, stick them in your closet, and forget about them.  It's the easiest thing in the world to do, and it covers your most pressing need in 90% of emergency situations.  And even if you're forced out of your house, you can grab a jug or two on your way out.

Wow!  Great list!  Many thanks.

I know what I'm doing in case of a major disaster... heading for Oramac's house! :-)

Seriously, the biggest disasters we have to worry about here are heavy storms/ flooding, tornadoes, or earthquake.  Storms we can see coming, and prepare for.  But if the New Madrid decides to wake up one day, we're gonna be hurting real bad...

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

All good points, though I'd put toilet tanks and hot water heaters almost as low as urban streams on my list of things I want to drink from. If it's life or death, it's a good thing to keep in mind, though. But really, just go down to the store, drop $10-20 on gallon jugs of water, stick them in your closet, and forget about them. It's the easiest thing in the world to do, and it covers your most pressing need in 90% of emergency situations. And even if you're forced out of your house, you can grab a jug or two on your way out.

Yeah the water heater water would not be very pleasant to drink, it would be running straight across the sediment as it drained out but it would so in a pinch.

If people want to be really frugal with water storage, they can use empty 2 liter soda bottles, fill em with tap water, put a couple drops of bleach in and stick them in a dark closet. They last quite a long time, just empty and refill every couple years if not needed.

I know what I'm doing in case of a major disaster... heading for Oramac's house! :-)

Seriously, the biggest disasters we have to worry about here are heavy storms/ flooding, tornadoes, or earthquake.  Storms we can see coming, and prepare for.  But if the New Madrid decides to wake up one day, we're gonna be hurting real bad...

New Madrid Fault, eh?  Hell, you're only about 2-3 hours away from me.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I've only just started watching the walking dead tv series & now I'm freaking myself out reading all these doomsday/survival comments =/

LOL... It's just preparing for the worst, while hoping for the best... :-)

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

How am I supposed to prepare for a zombie apocalypse!? I'm not worried about natural disasters but the thought of zombies freaks the crap outa me hahaha..

Move to Alaska. Meat freezes in the winter. You have like six months to freely smash every one out in the open.

• Like 1

How am I supposed to prepare for a zombie apocalypse!? I'm not worried about natural disasters but the thought of zombies freaks the crap outa me hahaha..

Move to an island, build a moat full of sharks, Alaska like Machete said, 3 foot spikes protruding from your house walls, flamethrowers, there's more... but that's a start. :-)

My first challenge

I can't see anyone else has mentioned it, but if you're looking at survivalism, try reading Emergency! by Neil Strauss. I tend to think that living in the UK we would be even more stuffed come the Zompocalypse because the country is smaller and not to mention there aren't many guns*. But then I suppose they survived the end of 28 Days Later by hiding in the Lake District so maybe there's hope for us yet.

*I'm 100% pro gun control

• Like 1

Move to an island, build a moat full of sharks, Alaska like Machete said, 3 foot spikes protruding from your house walls, flamethrowers, there's more... but that's a start. :-)

LOL... but crocs can climb out if you're not careful.

It wouldn't matter if the moat was filled with crocs, I'm pretty sure I'd build like a castle or something and then the 3 foot spikes would probably stop them aswell. And crocs would be easier to catch than sharks.. haha.

Anyone want to donate to my fund so I can buy an Island?!

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2

Move to Alaska. Meat freezes in the winter. You have like six months to freely smash every one out in the open.

But the coldddddd.. it would be sooo coldd. I'm not used to that anymore living in Australia haha.

Egg, Level 1

Dragon, Adventurer

| STR 2 | DEX 0 | STA 1 | CON 0 | WIS 7 | CHA 0

1 2