Forums are back in action! ×

Can't wait to begin

Hi everyone,

My name is Steve, but my friends call me Stig (hence the forum handle). This was my mother's pet name for me when I was younger as she said that my bedroom was always a pig sty and used to call me Stig of the Dump!

Apologies first of all to the guild leaders and mods as I got a little carried away with myself, posting my first 6-week challenge here...

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/48238-1-challenge-for-the-stig/

... unfortunately my eyes saw the new challenge from 14th and my brain associated that with May rather than April so I seem to have jumped the gun.

So what is my story?

I have been on and off a high protein, low carb, low sugar diet for a number months now but cannot seem to stick to it.

I am a soccer referee in the UK so during the season officiate on at least 2 games per week (usually on a weekend). I have 2 dogs that I take out for walks for a minimum of 30 minutes per day (sometimes longer) either in a morning or on an evening after work. My girlfriend does the opposing walk.

I am 6' 6" tall and weigh 14st 9lbs (205 lbs in US) and my target weight is 13st 7lbs (189 lbs). It is my hope that this will assist me to move at ease around the soccer field and assist with injury prevention.

Having read a lot of the information on here, I am going to have a go at the Paleo Diet. I work (sat on my backside) for 8 hours a day, so movement is limited.

That being said, I now use a 95cm gym ball as a chair, park my car a short walk away and try and take a 30 minute round trip walk for lunch.

I am not signed up to a monthly subscription to a gym, but I do have pay-as-you-go access. I would really like to hit the free-weights but I don't have any idea how to use them correctly or what to do, and I am a little worried about going to the gym and embarrassing myself by using them incorrectly.

So to summarise:

I am struggling with a consistent approach to my diet and I am struggling with introducing myself to the free-weights at the gym.

Can't wait to chat to other like-minded people and can't wait to get started.

Having checked the guild's, I think my first port of call will be the Adventurer's, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

post-29314-0-24999800-1400506064_thumb.j

• Like 1

Level 2 - Caveman

Str: - 6 Dex: - 1 Sta: - 1 Con: - 2 Wis: - 3 Cha: - 2

Current Challenge: Building the Den

'Sup yo, Mir from chat. Thought I'd pop in and say hi.

Don't forget about Stronglifts and Starting Strength. I'd highly recommend barbell training. It's my favorite.

Regarding the diet, the best one is the one you stick with. I'd also recommend signing up for a calorie tracking website if you haven't already, to make sure you're getting the right levels of nutrition for your goals.  

Welcome to the Rebellion!

• Like 1

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Adventurer's is always a good place to start.  Check out the free resources page, you'll find some workouts that don't require weights as well as a guide to healthy eating.  Good luck

Thanks Lareleye, I have already read through some of those. Credit to Steve and the Community for put this up for free for all to see and use.

'Sup yo, Mir from chat. Thought I'd pop in and say hi.

Don't forget about Stronglifts and Starting Strength. I'd highly recommend barbell training. It's my favorite.

Regarding the diet, the best one is the one you stick with. I'd also recommend signing up for a calorie tracking website if you haven't already, to make sure you're getting the right levels of nutrition for your goals.  

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Thanks for replying Mir, it is great to put a chat handle to a forum handle :-) [is this the Internet equivalent of face to a name?!] I will certainly do some more reading around the Stronglifts and Starting Strength book.

I've just been reading ElDiablo's blog about bodyweight training which also appeals to me.

With regards to the diet, as I mentioned in the chat, I have started the Paleo diet (supplemented with a Protein Shake and Supergreens per day) this week and so far it is going well. I did overdo it in day 1 by consuming just over 600 calories but for some reason I was not hungry. The day after I felt lightheaded during my walk at dinner and it wasn't until I had eaten that I felt better.

I'm not sure if anyone else suffers from anxiety, but when I don't feel "right" I sometimes get the symptoms (sweaty palms, increased heart rate, breathlessness etc.), but this is something that I have learned to overcome by mind over matter for a number of years.

With regards to the calorie tracking, I am using MyFitnessPal - username: stiggypop - if anyone would like to add me (especially your Paleo-ians to keep me on track) then please do so, it would be most welcome.

Thanks for the friendly welcome, I look forward to my stay.

Level 2 - Caveman

Nice! I'll for sure add you (if I remember).

So, people who start paleo a lot of times consume way more protein and fats than carbs, and those (especially fat) tend to have a satiating effect. Probably the reason you weren't hungry. You'll get used to it, I promise!! :D

• Like 1

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

First week on the Paleo is up and since my last weight in, many moons ago I am now at 14 st 7lbs (203 lbs) so minus two.

I have a sneaky suspicion that I have had a loss of more than 2 lbs over the week as I pretty much ate lots of junk after the original weigh in, but when I get weighed again at the end of this week I will have a better idea of actual weight lost.

As promised, here are some more details... 

Starter photo:

post-29314-0-24999800-1400506064_thumb.j

Starter measurements:

I hope that I have taken these correctly!...

Neck - 16"

Chest - 40"

Waist - 34.5"

Hips - 38"

Thigh - 23.5"

Calf - 15"

Level 2 - Caveman

Just had another weigh in and lost 3lbs this week so I now sit smack on the 200lbs mark.

I have a gym tour booked today and if it is good then I plan on starting weight training the week after next as I am away with work next week.

So, I just need to get my head around what I should and should not be eating then hammer the gym.

Happy days indeed. Exciting times.

Level 2 - Caveman

Actually, if you're new to challenges and want to do the 6-week challenges (next one starts June 2nd), you'd start in the Level 1 group:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/352-level-1-rebels/ for a shake down tour before joining with one of the other guilds.

Adventurers is always a good place for people working on their diet, but if you're interested in free-weights, the Warriors might be better able to coach you. 

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Actually, if you're new to challenges and want to do the 6-week challenges (next one starts June 2nd), you'd start in the Level 1 group: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/352-level-1-rebels/ for a shake down tour before joining with one of the other guilds.

Adventurers is always a good place for people working on their diet, but if you're interested in free-weights, the Warriors might be better able to coach you.

Thanks Chris. I am definitely going to join the next 6 weeks challenge on 2nd June.

My goals will be around eating the right foods and the right amount of calories (tracked with MFP), getting a good understanding of weight and creating a starter program (tracked with Fitness Buddy) and keeping moving (tracked with FitBit).

The good news is that I have just got back from the gym tour and signed away for the next 14 months (2 months free for paying annually) so the commitment has been made.

I am more worried about the weights than anything else at the moment so I think that once I have completed the Rebel challenge I will opt for the Warriors initially and see how things go.

That being said, my first thought was the Adventurers, but I am also intending in getting a lot more flexible and doing at least 1 weekly Pilates class which probably sits with another guild.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

• Like 1

Level 2 - Caveman

Well, I went to my first group gym class in years today... BOOT CAMP!

This consisted of 13 exercises around the room that you did one at a time for 1 minute each.... TWICE.

We then finished off with a 4 minute Abs circuit (4 x 1 minute exercises) and then did the same again for 30 seconds instead of a minute.

Boy did I sweat!

At least it drilled home that my upper body and core leaves a lot to be desired so I definitely look forward to working these areas through.

The spa was a nice little treat afterwards :-)

Onwards and upwards.

Level 2 - Caveman

Did bodyattack (aerobics) and bodypump (weights to music) today. I had a weigh in when I got the gym and I now stand at another 3lbs less than last week (197 lbs).

I start the serious strength training next week. We are going for low weight / high repetitions to start with to shock the body and get it used to things before lifting heavier.

There will be 6 sessions in total per week training single body parts, i.e. Monday - back, Tuesday - chest, Wednesday - legs, Thursday - arms, Friday - shoulders. Then I need to find somewhere to get a dedicated abs session in.

Should be good, apart from the early starts and early bedtimes :-)

Level 2 - Caveman