Forums are back in action! ×

What's your own personal motto

And its meaning. Can relate to anything in life or about life itself. What simple, small thing do you tell yourself that keeps you focused and motivated?

Mine is

"Worry about yourself"-(People tell me this is my catchphrase)

It helps to remind me not to compare myself to other people and do what I need to do, not what others think I should do. The less I worry about this girl is making these grades, this guy is making this money and getting the girl who makes the grades, this old man can bench my extended family etc, the better I start to feel about myself.

• Like 1

"You have to get over it sometime, might aswell start now."

Read it in a book once, I think the meaning is clear. Time spent feeling sorry for yourself is time wasted.

I also firmly believe in this one: "If you're fighting fair, you're doing it wrong".

Only to be followed in a real fight of course, a contest is totally different.

• Like 4

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves"

(Matthew 10:16). (I'm not a Christian, but I'm very fond of this verse)

"This too shall pass"

(Persian Sufi poets, apparently...)

• Like 2

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves"

(Matthew 10:16). (I'm not a Christian, but I'm very fond of this verse)

"This too shall pass"

(Persian Sufi poets, apparently...)

Mine is also "This too shall pass."

Unless I'm feeling feisty. Then it's "vag up."

• Like 7

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I was actually just thinking about having one, and I haven't decided yet. But I know it has gotten something to do with perseverance. I really believe it´s the key to success, no matter what area of life you´re thinking of. There are so many people not willing to go the extra mile, and I want to go that extra mile, I want to be that person who pushes himself harder and harder and at the exe reaches his full potential.

• Like 2

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

I was actually just thinking about having one, and I haven't decided yet. But I know it has gotten something to do with perseverance. I really believe it´s the key to success, no matter what area of life you´re thinking of. There are so many people not willing to go the extra mile, and I want to go that extra mile, I want to be that person who pushes himself harder and harder and at the exe reaches his full potential.

Yea I used to be that kind of person that wasn't willing to even go the regular mile much less the extra. Takes time to shake off but nothing worth having comes easy I guess.

One of my mentors said one I liked along those lines: "There's never any traffic when you go the extra mile"

As for me, I have 2 that I kinda switch between: 

1) "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you".  I apply this to everything, not just lifting, changing "it" to whatever noun fits best at the time.  

2) "I don't stop when I'm tired.  I stop when I'm done".  Pretty self-explanatory I think.  

• Like 4

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

"It doesn't matter how you feel about it - you do what needs to be done."

This motto was first begun in my family in relation to mine and my sister's natural aversion to household and barnyard chores. I have carried it with me through virtually every aspect of my life; from completing homework, to paying bills on time, to conducting car maintenance, to working out.

Unsurprisingly, I have found that abiding by this motto has resulted in an easily scheduled life with clear free times (when the Army doesn't interfere, obviously) and far fewer incidents of (remarkably common) self-sabotage. It's genius, really!

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

"Why not?"

Pretty much I always ask myself this question when faced with doing something I'm not certain/afraid of doing. It usually ends with me doing whatever it is.

The majority of the time it is exactly this^

Otherwise, it tends to be along the lines of "Just shut up and do it." It works for pretty much anything, really.

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

"It doesn't matter how you feel about it - you do what needs to be done."

This motto was first begun in my family in relation to mine and my sister's natural aversion to household and barnyard chores. I have carried it with me through virtually every aspect of my life; from completing homework, to paying bills on time, to conducting car maintenance, to working out.

Unsurprisingly, I have found that abiding by this motto has resulted in an easily scheduled life with clear free times (when the Army doesn't interfere, obviously) and far fewer incidents of (remarkably common) self-sabotage. It's genius, really!

I like this.  Even moreso if it gets you doing your own car maintenance!  But that's just me probably.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

"Go big or go home!"

It's pretty simple but since I'm a simple person it's perfect for me :D 

I think if I bother doing something I'm going to do it with a blast! And have fun while doing it! Of course sometimes this fails and can cause trouble but in my opinion it's worth it  :pirate:

• Like 3

Human

Level: 1

STR: 2 | DEX: 0 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

A few of mine...

"Whether it kills you or not, it's gonna end sometime"

"If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun"

"There no sense in worrying, you can either change it or you can't."

"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive"

• Like 4

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

"This is the hardest thing I have ever done, but not the hardest thing I will ever do."  From the Voyager Outward Bound School's book of quotes.

• Like 4

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

As cynic as it sounds, "Trust no one but yourself".

I'm also beginning to use "Why not?" when I'm scared to do something. It's a surprisingly encouraging thought.

• Like 2

Level 0 Medusa Assassin
STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Current Challenge:

The Map

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"Win the Day" and "Make a mistake? Ok. Go out there and make a play" - both taken from Chip Kelly's Oregon squads. They're kind of intertwined. I study leaders as a hobby and Chip Kelly reminds myself of me, even though he's a serious East Coast grinder and I'm a carefree West Coaster.

"Make a play" helps recover from mistakes. Workout not as good as you'd have liked? Ok, go and make a play by knocking out some pushups at home. Eat more than you meant to at work? Ok, go and make a play by having a light dinner.

"Win the Day" is kind of the long-term extension of "make a play". Focus on breaking your goals into 24 hour chunks, and focus on meeting your 24-hour goals. Whether that be a certain # of calories, going to the gym, studying, whatever. Need to spend 3 hours studying and hit the gym? Ok, that's your criteria for winning the day. Do that, and then the rest of the day is "you time", to spend gaming or netflixing or whatever you'd like.

• Like 1

I seem to say "relax" often enough for it to be a personal motto. Also, "we are people first, and labels second."

"Semper Tuam Naturam Sequere" is my family motto, which I also say where needed. "Always be true to your nature."

• Like 1

Ketsurou

Level 0 Lycan

Probationer Assassin

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Training Assignments: #1

"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you're afraid. Everything is Choice." -- Daniel Ilabaca, Choose Not To Fall.

Choose not to fall. Be victorious, one choice at a time. 

"We are all the protagonists of our own life story,

so be the hero that you want to be."

Primary Mission: Lose 64lbs.

7.8%
7.8%

Secondary Mission: Drop 3 Pant Sizes.

25%
25%

For fitness stuff, I have 2.

1. "A moment on the lips, forever on the hips."  For when I really want to snack on something, especially later in the evening.

2. "F*ck 'em."  Because I am basically surrounded by people who think I'm an idiot for trying to eat right and get fit and constantly deride my need for any of that silly health nonsense. (Being skinny fat, no one saw me as needing to 'health up'). This is my response to their skepticism, hostility, and nay-saying.

3. (Bonus!) "God, please grant me paitience because if you give me strength, I'm going to punch somebody." I say this to myself several times every day. It's oddly liberating.

• Like 4

Battle Log
Challenge Log
I made a mistake.