Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everybody!

I'm a slightly overweight college student looking for motivation to be more healthy, but I don't really know where to start. My sleep schedule is entirely FUBAR, my eating habits are questionable at best, and the idea of going to a gym with other people to exercise sets off all my DO NOT WANT social anxiety issues.

Speaking of: is there anyone who can give me advice on exercise as part of treatment for anxiety and/or depression?

Thanks!

Newbie Hobbit 

Battle Log | Challenge: The Hobbit-Hole Rebellion

{she/her/hers pronouns, please}

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about CREATING yourself.

{to find is to come upon something either accidentally or by effort, but to create is to bring into existence or produce by sheer will}" --Unknown

Hobbiton to Rivendell: 8.5mi of 458mi

1.9%
1.9%

Walking to Mordor {1779mi}:

0.5%
0.5%

Hello!!  We can certainly work on setting healthy habits without making you go to the gym!!  Although, I might ask you to think about sports and other non-traditional ways of moving  that are good exercise.  If you're having fun, you may not experience anxiety.

Exercise is absolutely a good part of a treatment plan for anxiety and depression.  Even moderate walking (especially outside) has been shown to help sufferers of depression. But whatever will get your endorphins flowing will work.   We have a whole support group here for people who battle depression (and related issues) - it's the Black Dog Tamers. 

BUT ... before I give you the link to the BDT ... right now we have someone who is struggling a lot.  It's a potential triggering situation if you are also feeling down right now.  So if you're depressed, come back and see us in a day or so and send me a message (envelope in the upper right).  Link to the group is here.

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Thanks for the invite {and the warning}!

I'm actually pretty okay right now {at a functional baseline anxiety level}, so I'm going to go ahead and check out the Black Dog Tamers.

Newbie Hobbit 

{to find is to come upon something either accidentally or by effort, but to create is to bring into existence or produce by sheer will}" --Unknown

1.9%
1.9%

0.5%
0.5%

Hi everybody!

I'm a slightly overweight college student looking for motivation to be more healthy, but I don't really know where to start. My sleep schedule is entirely FUBAR, my eating habits are questionable at best, and the idea of going to a gym with other people to exercise sets off all my DO NOT WANT social anxiety issues.

Speaking of: is there anyone who can give me advice on exercise as part of treatment for anxiety and/or depression?

Thanks!

Welcome! 

Glad to have you here. One of my current goals is using exercise as a part of my treatment plan for my anxiety and depression, happy to help you out if I can. My suggestion would be to start small. Really small. As an example, I've been focusing on moving my body in a way I enjoy everyday for the past week to work up to participating in the next challenge. Moving everyday is really great for your mood, even if its just a little bit!

Don`t worry about making a ton of changes all at once. Pick one and start small! It`s also really important to remember to celebrate your victories. 

I've been working through the beginner body weight challenge in my backyard, might be a good option for you. No gym or audience required! Although my current audience includes two dogs who like to play along when I`m trying to do lunges :) 

• Like 1

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Thanks for the support!

I've been telling myself that daily walks would be good, if only to build a habit of exercise. My dogs are big fans of this option! The idea of a walk also being good for them is encouragement to follow through on it. Also, you're right, the beginner body weight workout does look like a good starting point for me on actual workouts. 

Newbie Hobbit 

1.9%
1.9%

0.5%
0.5%