Forums are back in action! ×

Time to break out of the shell

Hello, I've been lurking on the site for a while now and finally decided it was time to take the leap.  I've tried lots of other diets before, you name it I've most likely done it, but I want this to be a lifestyle change and not just a diet.  I could use all the help I could get to stick with it, because honestly, I have a bad habit of throwing in the towel because of how embarrassed I get when I fail.

I'm still peeking around the site and I like the whole guild idea, and after reading the link about what class are you, I suppose my best bet would be warrior.  My username is also the name of my main toon in WoW, and she's a big tank.  Literally.  I'm a member of an RP community on my server and she's pretty much who I wish I could be.  Strong, confident, loyal and will stampede your butt if you mess with her guild family.  Unfortunately I'm not a Tauren, heck I don't think I can even lift her axe.  I want so bad to be her, though.

I've been testing the waters this week with a Paleo type of eating, and I want to delve further.  I'm hoping by joining a community like this (by the Nerds, for the Nerds) that I can turn myself into a better me.  My guild in game helped my character get to where she is now, and maybe the idea of a lifestyle guild can help me do the same.

For the Horde!

Ruuki 
Aspiring Tauren Adventurer

(who dreams of being a Warrior)

Str : 0 | Dex : 0 | Sta : 0 | Con : 0 | Wis : 0 | Cha : 0

Welcome, Ruuki!  Glad to see you come out of lurking!

This is an awesome place full of a lot of great people.  I'd be glad to chat at you (as a relative newbie myself) anytime about any topic related to fitness/nutrition!  I'm no Warrior, but I've been upping my strength training recently (the pain.... ow........ the pain...), so maybe we can even discuss that!

What are your plans?  Are you thinking to join the 6 week challenge?  Still plenty of time to get in on it as it just started Monday.  Why not start leveling up... right now!

What's your current diet and activity level like?  What would you like to work on improving first?

And if you want to be a Tauren, then why not?  Plenty of people picking races from all over the place around here~ ;)

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I'm going read the 6 week challenge now, if it's not too late I'll probably try and stick myself in it.  Right now I'm trying just lean meat and lots of veggies and fruit, but it's been hard giving up sugar.  I've already switched from coffee (which I normally drink with tons of sugar and creamer) to pomegranate green tea with just a little honey, and I'm weaning myself off the grains rather than quit cold turkey.  

I'm very sedentary unfortunately, I work a desk job and it's an hour drive to and from work.  By the time I get home I'm so stressed from the drive and mentally fried from work that I never feel like doing anything.  I'd like to be more active, and I need to get my blood pressure under control, preferably without the meds I'm on for it, plus drop at least 100 pounds.  I miss how strong I used to be before a back surgery and a major car accident threw things way the heck out of balance.

Ruuki 

Definitely plenty of time to join in - just structure your goals appropriately.  It's a super tool for motivation, in my opinion!

Sugar is hard.  :moody:

I work a desk job too - my saving grace is that we have a gym on my work campus which I can use at lunchtime.  I'm going to assume you probably don't have access to a resource like that?  Can you go walking at lunch?  I'm always really tired by evening as well, but awful at getting up early - working out in the middle of the day has been a life-saver...

If you're okay with getting up a bit early though, maybe fit in a brief bodyweight strength workout before your shower/breakfast, then take a walk at lunch?

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Unfortunately the entire time I'm at work I'm glued to my desk.  I work for a tiny construction company, so more often than not I'm the only one in the office and if the boss calls and I don't pick up the phone I get in trouble.  I was considering getting up earlier and maybe starting with yoga at home before I head off, and when it's a lull at work doing some things like lunges and squats.

I went read up for the challenges and I signed up! I'm hoping my goals are sensible enough though.

Ruuki 

Welcome to the forum!

I understand how tiring work can make you feel. What about your days off? Can you fit anything in then? Or leave the house ten minutes early and go for a quick walk before heading off? It isn't easy but there are ways to start out.

But well done on making changes to your diet, keep up the good work! :)

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Welcome to the forum!

I understand how tiring work can make you feel. What about your days off? Can you fit anything in then? Or leave the house ten minutes early and go for a quick walk before heading off? It isn't easy but there are ways to start out.

But well done on making changes to your diet, keep up the good work! :)

I can definitely work something in on my days off, and I might try the walking as well as the yoga in the morning, maybe on alternating days.  I need to wake up earlier to cook proper breakfasts anyway.

Ruuki