Forums are back in action! ×

So when your sweet old Texas grandmother says that you need to lose some weight, it's probably time to shed some pounds.  But I'm not going to tell my family.  I've tried such things in the past and given up on them.  But hopefully this time I can find something from within to let me do it this time.  I hope by the time I see her next year to give her a real surprise.

My goals are to lose weight firstly.  Then I would like to put weight back on in the form of muscle secondly.  I've always wanted to get a tattoo, but I'm not really happy with my "canvas" at the moment.  So after I get some arms I'm proud of I would love to get the Straw Hats symbol from One Piece.

That's where I'm at, and that's where I need to go.  Now to figure out how to get there.

• Like 1

Level 0 Halfling Adventurer

STR: 0 DEX: 0 STA: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Hi, Erik!! 

Ok, one year (?) to get fit and make her eat her words??  You can do it.  

The first thing is to think about what empty calories you can shed from your diet ..... things with a lot of sugar like pop and sweet tea would be good to eliminate if you can. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Yeah, I do live beside a gas station that sells fountain pop for .59.  Fortunately they do have unsweetened tea for when I want my fountain drink fix.  I'm also going to be dropping bread/pasta/rice from my diet to see how that works.

I was also able to acquire a treadmill that I can plonk down in front of my tv for my Netflix time.  I'm also going to be trying to do some more excer-gaming with the PS3 motion controllers.  Finally I'm going to try to fit in a gym membership into my limited budget.  Alas I can't go to the local gym that I really really want to join (they have an Olympic sized swimming pool) due to them being really really expensive and only being open during the times that I work.  But if I get the new job I'm going for, I would be able to solve both problems.

Looking at the character system here I think I would really like to eventually be a Warrior.  But realistically I should probably focus on being a Adventurer first to drop my weight and build up my endurance.  But I'm completely a halfling, short and thick about the middle.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  But that is my course of action at the current time.

You don't need a gym to get started. Check out the BBWW it's a great workout that you can do at home and you only need something heavy to pick up once. Fixing up your diet, a little running on the treadmill, and alternate days with the BBWW and you will be slimming down in no time flat. There are a ton of success stories floating around out here on NF but I personally lost 52 lbs in 10 months and I only eat semi healthy-ish, refuse to give up my cheese, ice cream, and wife's cookies. But the key is to build them into your calorie counts for the day.

Oh yeah and welcome to the rebellion. 

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Don't try and to do too much too fast.  I'd recommend going with virtualmonkey's suggestion and try out some body weight workouts before heading to the gym as it sounds like money and time might be a little tight for you.  Body weight stuff is simple, easy to do, and can be done anywhere (mostly).  It should make it easier to stick with it.  Get started with a solid routine of maybe 2-3 times per week and stick to it for a couple months. 

Also, for your diet, I'd recommend making small changes in your diet (like sub in 1 glass of water for a soda per day) to start with rather then just cold turkey giving up grains.  Unless you have some amazing willpower, drastic changes are just bound to make you hate life and revert back to old habits.  Start small, and stay small.  Keep making those small changes once a month, and suddenly in a year, you've made 12 changes that add up to a lot. 

Welcome to NF!  Hope you stick around.

• Like 1

Don't try and to do too much too fast.  I'd recommend going with virtualmonkey's suggestion and try out some body weight workouts before heading to the gym as it sounds like money and time might be a little tight for you.  Body weight stuff is simple, easy to do, and can be done anywhere (mostly).  It should make it easier to stick with it.  Get started with a solid routine of maybe 2-3 times per week and stick to it for a couple months. 

Also, for your diet, I'd recommend making small changes in your diet (like sub in 1 glass of water for a soda per day) to start with rather then just cold turkey giving up grains.  Unless you have some amazing willpower, drastic changes are just bound to make you hate life and revert back to old habits.  Start small, and stay small.  Keep making those small changes once a month, and suddenly in a year, you've made 12 changes that add up to a lot. 

Welcome to NF!  Hope you stick around.

I'm pretty intrigued by the paleo diet I have to say.  It is a diet that would satisfy my meat tooth while increasing the veggies my body sorely needs.  On the up side I've been eating a lot of asparagus the last few days.  I love asparagus.  the only issue is asparagus pee. :P

• Like 1

If you think it'll work for you that, that's awesome.  Go for it.  I would just say for the first few months allow yourself a few grains here and there to "satisfy" any cravings you have.

I do have cravings for grains, unfortunately they are chemically induced. The medication I'm on for anxiety makes me crave carbs like it were nicotine. It's part of the reason I'm in this weight predicament in the first place.