Forums are back in action! ×

Ran a 5k

Background - 35 years old, 215 pounds, 6'4 of good intentions and zero follow-through.

So, I registered here with lofty goals and great intentions back in December of 2013.  I started power lifting, absolutely loved it, and then two things happened:

First, a military-related back injury flared up and landed me in the hospital

Second, I got laid off from my job.

As you can imagine, this put a damper on my mood, I lapsed into semi-depression, and I started eating poorly again.  I started drinking sugary drinks again, stopped eating clean, and generally made bad choices.

Three weeks ago, I was playing with my (now 2 year old) daughter, and realized I was breathing heavily.

While playing with a 20 pound toddler.

I was mortified.  My wife has had three children, and is still an avid runner with a 5'4, 102 pound perfect body that you would never GUESS was a baby-making factory.  Talk about giving me, the retired-military-combat-medic-wanna-be-powerlifter-former-karate-teacher an inferiority complex!

So I got off my ass.  I started doing the bodyweight program, since I'm afraid of messing up my back again.  If I can get past the fear, I'll be going back into Starting Strength.  But, I started running.  I work in Centennial Park in Nashville, in a large corporate complex, and the park is an amazing place to go for a run.  I started running old Army PT drills, which are oddly similar to the C25K program in retrospect, just with more yelling.

3 weeks later, yesterday, I ran a full 3.2 (slightly over 5k!) miles, nonstop.  I feel fantastic.  I'm down 7 pounds, I gave up sugar again, and I'm making my own lunches and dinners rather than "one last fast food trip" every day.

So, I'm patting myself on the back.  I have a long, long way to go to the svelte, combat-ready body I once had...but I know that with the right discipline and motivation, I can be the first man in my family to maintain a healthy lifestyle into my middle years and beyond.

• Like 3

Adams-Sensei; 4th Dan, Shotokan Karate

Level 0 Human Monk/Dad

Str: 0 - Dex: 0 - Sta: 0 - Con: 0 - Wis: 0, Cha: 0

Awaiting first challenge!

Good work, fella! Hey, you're a scout and you didn't even know it!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I really want to do a Color Run, we have them on occasion here in Nashville.  I think it'd be a trip to dress the whole family in white, cover the strollers and run with the kiddos.

I'll probably do an official 5k soon, but I'm going to keep on training for now.  My end-goal at this point would be to be able to sign up with the wife for a full marathon sometime next year!

Well, that, and to not be overweight anymore.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human Monk/Dad

Update - still running, still losing weight!

Weight loss:

6/20 - 230

8/15 - 215

10/16 - 202!.  Goal weight is undetermined and ultimately pointless as it'll change constantly when I add power lifting back in.

Registered for a Spartan 5k in 2015...lots more work to do!

Level 0 Human Monk/Dad