Forums are back in action! ×

I can't think of a title. Hi.

Hi everybody!

Well, I'm here because I seem to be growing into sizes I never thought I would see (and never wanted to see, to be honest). I've always been big, spending the majority of my adult life at 5'9" and 250 pounds, only fluctuating a couple pounds at most in either direction. However, spending some time at a university got me up to 274, and then I worked my way down to 226. I enjoyed the weight loss, and even though I was still large, it felt like a big difference. I wasn't really active, but I wasn't sedentary, either. When I was down to 226, I was at my lowest weight since I was 17.

Flash forward about four years from the university life. I'm now 31, and my scale is either lying to me, or I'm now tipping 285lbs. I don't think my scale would lie to me, we have a rather good relationship.

I'm starting to notice more difficulties in the activities I do, and not wanting to do nearly as many physical activities as I used to. In college, I used to be an avid swing dancer. These days, I can't find the motivation to get back on the floor.

So, I suppose I'm here to lose weight, regain some agility I've lost over the years, and build stamina (I never had much stamina on the dance floor to begin with, two dances and I was done).

Sorry, I don't feel like this is a good introduction. I've never been good at them. Also, I probably should've been asleep hours ago. Oh well. Thanks for reading!

balesom

Race: Gray Elf | Class: Assassin

Level 2 | Str: 1 / Dex: 2 / Sta: 2 / Con: 2 / Wis: 2 / Cha: 2

Current Challenge: None.

Past Challenges: #1 #2

PVP Challenges: No Soda (started 10/30/14 | restarted 3/8/16)

Main Quest: Lose 21.5 pounds (Start: 281.5 | Current: 276.5 | Goal: 260)

On Hiatus... sorry.

No Soda Challenge: 365 days | Total: 493 days (October 30, 2014 - March 7, 2016)

Ended due to stomach flu, drank 7up to settle stomach (and it didn't work!).

100%
100%

Hi!

I think this introduction is just fine. Only thing: I couldn't figure out your gender from this post (not that it really matters). Even your height could go either way. If you don't want the internet to know for some reason that's fine of course, but I was curious.

Anyway, welcome! Do you have a game plan? 

Weight loss: 73 kg -> 65 kg or less. Current weight: 68.9 kg

51.25%
51.25%

Level 0 Human - Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Battle log, ChallengeMember of the SKULLCRUSHERS

Welcome balesom! Great introduction and sounds like you have solid motivation. I'll second Bonsai's question, do you have a plan or quantifiable goal? You may want to poke at the 6 week challenge stuff, the next one starts on Sept. 15.

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Oh dear God, did I actually write that intro? No more forums for me when sleepy, official new rule.

I'm a male, and I forgot that I didn't upload a picture before my first post. My quantifiable goal is to reach 190 pounds. Right now it seems intimidating to hear that number applied to me, though. As for a plan on how to get there, I currently do not have one.

balesom

On Hiatus... sorry.

No Soda Challenge: 365 days | Total: 493 days (October 30, 2014 - March 7, 2016)

100%
100%

190 seems like a reasonable goal for someone your height.

I know it's all daunting when you start but joining NF is a great way to get on the right track. Lots of articles full of awesome info and really cool supportive peeps to keep you motivated!

A plan is always a very good start.

Setting up some short term physical or diet related goals can help. :)

• Like 1

LEVEL 2 | HALF DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 1

Hi I am about your height and I started at about 300 lbs. I am now down to 188. It takes time but is totally do able.

Focus on these 3 things at first.

Eat less of known meals than you did the last time. EX: Last time I had chicken wings I had 20, this time I will only have 18. etc

Eat slower and drink a lot of water (I shoot for at least 3 liters a day)

Start doing some sort of activity every day. Even if its parking farther away when you go to the grocery store. Every little bit helps.

Focus on making small changes every week and progressing that way. Slow changes will lead you to lasting changes. It took me about a year to lose 100 lbs (That was about 3 years ago).

Feel free to message me with any questions.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I'd agree with cn3wton. The key is to have a long-term goal but have a lot of short-term "milestones" in-between. Small, progressive, and permanent changes ensure success. Take the stairs 2 out of 5 days and work your way up. If you get coffee or lunch breaks, skip eating a lot, grab a snack and go walking/jogging. Not enough to sweat necessarily but enough to get your metabolism worked up a bit. Vary what you do each time. I started biking to work - used public transport or even my car part of the way - until I could do the whole distance on my bike. Then I varied my routes. I was fortunate that I don't live in a very high-traffic area that is also relatively flat but maybe something similar might work for you. I even tried walking/jogging a similar distance a few times. Not really a marathon but think of it as urban exploration a la Walking Dead except more boring and no zombies... wow that makes it sound very unappealing yet I liked it. Discovered new sights and places each time. Best is when there's some sweet beer at the end. Friends along for the ride/walk also is a big incentive.

Thank you, everyone. I've been thinking about it, and I think I may have some plans worked out. First, as of today, I've started the 30-Day Yoga Challenge. Second, I'm going to either walk or bicycle three days a week, weather permitting (I get hot easily and don't do well in hotter weather).

cn3wton, I don't necessarily eat a lot, per se. It's that what I eat tends to be higher in calories. And I did have boneless wings yesterday for breakfast/lunch, which I found the calorie count online last night and it wasn't pretty. Probably 800 calories for those alone. On a good day, I drink nearly a gallon of water, but I've been having a lot of bad days lately (read: Dr Pepper).

senobdec, unfortunately, me stepping outside is enough to make me sweat, at least until the end of September - mid-October when it starts cooling down. I wouldn't mind the sweating, but I'm a substitute teacher and the students don't want to be around me when I've been sweating about as much as I don't want to be around them when they've been sweating. And I live in a town that's so small, I can probably draw the entire street system from memory of being on them. But we do have a few lakes/dams in the area that have the water levels low, which make for good exploration. I used to do that years ago during the last drought, and might go do that again. Thanks for the idea.

balesom

On Hiatus... sorry.

100%
100%