Forums are back in action! ×

[Pathfinder] Journeys.

Bronan listens to the goblin and nods his understadning, then after Flo speaks, look to her. "If I am not, then I shall join Brodin in the Halls Valsalvialla when I fall, should my show of might be deemed worthy."

With that, he stands and hefts his sacks and club back to his shoulders, beginning to head back up the path to the room with the fountain, quite content that he would be able to kick the door down after all.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Rowan smiles and nods when he hears that the sword has yet to be found. "I shall search for the sword and if found will wield the weapon to slay this dragon." Rowan pulls out his sword a bit to make sure it is loose in the scabbard. Rowan has heard enough and begins to move toward the other area of the cave with Bronan. 

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Bacon lets out a sigh of relief. "Finally. This was getting more boring than my grandfather's stories. I hope raiding a Wizard's tomb will be more exciting. If I'm lucky, I might find a magical relic or two. Not interested in swords though, you guys can fight it out about who gets to wield it." With that, he dismisses the goblins and goes back the way the group arrived here, expecting Bronan to kick down the door.

Lvl 65 Multitasker

The group exits the room heading back the way they came. They pass the fountain and stand before the door. 

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Bronan stands before the door, and after checking to make sure everyone is behind him and ready to breach the room (but more importantly to watch him  breach the door), he raises his leg and thunderous thigh and throws a mighty kick to bust through.

OOC: I don't know what the check is to break down the door in pathfinder, whether it be a stength check or an attack roll with my strength modifier. You have my character sheet, feel free to roll for me.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Bronan kicks the door down with the might of his legs. Shooting the door out of its frame with such force that it launches into the room. It is a long hall lined with statues on each side. At the far end upon a pedestal an object glows brightly. The group takes a few steps down what remains of the hallway before the room. As the last of the group enters the room a loud sound can be heard, like the shifting of earth. Bacon is the first to turn around and notice that the door has dissappeared. Suddenly Fire begins to erupt from the mouths of the statues nearest the glowing object. After a few seconds the next statue shoots forth flame. With only a few seconds left the group must think fast or be burned alive.

Bacon sees a glowing message upon the ground before him, it reads "Welcomed guests need not fear the flame." It appears that no one else in the group can see it however, as they all search for some means of escaping this grizzly fate.

The are no visible exits. 

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

"Heyheyheyheyheydon'tpanicnownobodypanicthere'sawayoutofthis!There'sthisglowingmagicalwritingdownherethatI'mnotsureyoucanreadthatsayswelcomedguestsneednotfeartheflamesowecanharmlesslypassthroughifwearewelcomenowIknowkickingthedoorinisnotexactlythewayofwelcomeguestsbutthefountainoutsidealsosaidsomethingaboutdrinkingfromthereandbeingwelcomesomaybetossingthatpennyinwasgoodbutIwassmartenoughtosavesomewaterinavialI'mnotsureifitstillretainsitsmagicalqualitiesorifit'llbeenoughforallofusbutit'sprobablyourbestbetrightnowsohaveagulp!"

In a mix of excitement and panic, Bacon whips out the vial he filled with water from the fountain when they first entered the room and passes it around, hoping it'll be enough to do the trick.

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Flo is not disappointed in Bronan's feat of power. She nods her head in approval as she walks into the hallway with the others.

The loud noise is not reassuring. She twists quickly, but the door is already a memory. The light in the room changes and she turns to see flames? Yes, flames shooting out of the statues that line the sides of the hall. They keep catching fire and coming closer with no sign of it slowing or stopping. Flo tries to spot a dead or burnt goblin in the hallway. Did the fancy goblin make it passed this? If so, how?

Bacon is screaming something as if he knows something. How could he? Wait? Fire. Water.

"The fountain! The water - " Dang, it's still on the other side of the now absent door. She shakes her head, trying to help herself think as Bacon has made some decision.

She turns to see Bacon thrusting a vial at people. "Is that fountain water? Fantastic! Bacon you're a genius. Everyone, drink up, quickly!" She grabs a quick slug off the vial as it gets handed to her.

She passes it the another and then turns to see if there are any openings behind the statues or maybe the ceiling. Maybe even the floor. Flo's mind keeps racing. She can't think quickly enough. Her water skins can't possibly be enough to douse a fire like this, even just on the last two statues here. She still reaches for one. This is wildly shocking. Nothing to do but wait? Can that be right?  Ready to lend a hand, or something, she looks to the others and wonders what they have in mind.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Just a reminder the water was taken from the fountain before the coin was thrown in. Only Bacon drank from the fountain after it was activated. 

Rowan states "good job with your feat of strength Bronan look what you got us into now..." Rowan realized that bacon got the water before the coin was thrown in and began glowing. "Hey the fire is at face level let's roll under it"

(OOC)If the fire is only coming out of the statues' faces and no where else rowan rolls under the fire safely. If this is not the case let us know and I will think of something else.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Rowan states "good job with your feat of strength Bronan look what you got us into now..." Rowan realized that bacon got the water before the coin was thrown in and began glowing. "Hey the fire is at face level let's roll under it"

(OOC)If the fire is only coming out of the statues' faces and no where else rowan rolls under the fire safely. If this is not the case let us know and I will think of something else.

The fire covers the floor, there is no going underneath it.

Flo looks about the room, seeing no exits. However the eyes of the statues appear to be glowing the same strange hue as that of the object at the far end of the room.

The fire now engulfs 25% of the room.

Willing to test his assumption, Bacon moves closer to the fire shooting out from one of the statues and stretches out a tiny arm to see if he feels the warmth and if he is protected from the flames. If that works, he won't wait for the others to return the vial, but instead take a deep breath and dash across the room to grab the glowing object, hoping this move will somehow deactivate the statues.

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Flo hears some of the boys trying different things, but she's certain there's a trap. What test doesn't have an answer? Why go through all this trouble  when you may as well have just thrown a fireball down the hall at us? So, what could be....

Flo can't find trap doors or concealed ones either. She watches as the statues become activated, gaining more ground, coming closer. The statues? Why statues and not arrow holes or something? She tracks her eyes along the nearest statue and if seemingly safe, she runs her hands along it. When she reaches the face area, she notices the glow of the eyes.

Such a beautiful color, now associated with my possible doom. Or? She recalls the color of the item at the end of the hall when they first came in. It was similar. Very. She goes with a hunch and pulls a pick from her kit and digs out an eye, and then the other. Assuming I can even get this out? Okay stone, give up your treasure like the nice statue you are.

She calls back behind her, "Try to get the eyes out of the other statue, Bronan. Just beat it, if you have to." I'll collect the eyes later. If the eyes are even remotely valuable, they'd be worth keeping.

She maneuvers as best she can to dislodge the eyes. How many do I need to do? Oh wait! She runs down to the statute nearest to the fire, that's not lit. Changes her mind and goes to the second closest and begins to pry the eyes out.

(disable device: 15 first eye, 27 second eye - will repeat on eyes on the next statue if safe: 11 first eye, 27 second eye)

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Bronan watches as the flames comes alive and drops his sack, taking a wide stance and ready to move. Bu to where!? Looking behind him, the door was gone, so he takes up his shield to protect at least one side from the flame. When Rowan speaks to him harshly, he seriously begins considering taking hold of he who doesn't even lift and using him as a shield for the other side. These thoughts are dashed when Flo starts on about the eyes. Bronan nods, takes up his warhammer, and follows her. Once she picks a statues to pry the eyes from, he takes the one across from it and mightily swings at its head, looking to simply crush and destroy whatever is making the flames, and create a section of the hallway free from the fire.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Flo and Bronan move to the statues as Bacon musters all of his courage and charges into the inferno. The group is surprised and impressed by his courage.

As they lose sight of Bacon in the flame Bronan and Flo attempt to destroy the statues. Flo manages to pry the eyes of out one statue, while Bronan unceremoniously crushes its twin across the room with his club. This however seems to increase the speed at which the flames started spitting forth from the statues. It reaches them before they are able to destroy any more. They are stuck at the entrance, all hope lies on Bacon as the heat begins to get overwhelming and oxygen becomes scarce.

As Bacon moves through the fire he can't help but shiver at the strange sensations the flames have upon his skin. While there is no heat he can still feel the impact of the flames running across his body. He could not help but shiver as he saw a vision of his skin going up in flame. Despite his fears he pushed on. He finally reached the end of the hall and went up the pedestal. He reached up and began to tug on the stone. It slowly pulled away from its housing. As it finally fell free the room instantly grew silent. The flames seemed to vanish. Bacon held the stone, he could feel power coursing through it.

• Like 1

Ah. That's one. Flo pockets the eyepiece and starts on the next. It pops loose and she pockets this one as well. She peers over to Bronan and his already destroyed statue. "Nicely done, Fellow." She grins and heads to the next statue, but is stalled immediately as the flames have sped up and are threatening her skin. "Bronan, get back!" She retreats from where she came and tries to find and share what little air remains.

Bacon? The heat of the flames is hard to bear so what of Bacon? He seemed so sure of his course. But this? She searches the flames for him. She sends a prayer to the Ones Who Know. No sooner does she get her eyes adjusted to the light and heat, then it all disappears. No flames!

One little prayer can make this happen? Why have I not prayed before?! She smiles to herself and looks further down the hall. Her eyes flick to the podium at the far side and her smile widens as she spots Bacon standing with the strange object in his hands. "Bacon! You marvelous man you. Well done!"

She pulls out an eyepiece and appraises it. If this is worth anything, I should grab the ones from the rubble, if I can find them.

(Appraise -- 14)

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Later On

When the flame disappears, Bronan goes about getting his mace and shield tucked back away. As he does this, he looks over to Rowan. When he speaks, his voice is casual, yet his eyes are piercing. "Speak to me like that again little one, and I shall rip your tongue out and wear it as a charm."

He moves over to where Rowan stands, eyes him up and down, then bends and picks up his belongings before joining Bacon at the pedestal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625

The way they came re-appears. As well it appears a new exit has formed to the right of the pedestal. Bacon still stands atop the pedestal, seemingly fascinated by the power held within the stone.

As flo attempts to discern the eyes from the statue they crack and crumble in her hands. 

"I...uh," Bacon struggles to find the right words as he stares into the stone. The sensation of power from it is both fascinating and terrifying. He feels drawn to it, but instinctively something kicks like a mule inside him and he manages to pull his gaze off the item. Casually, he slips it into his pockets and resumes a less hunched pose, checking his clothes for any apparent burn marks or holes. "Right, well, that does it, this Bacon ain't getting sizzled today, hah! Good thinking there, whoever was it that tossed the coin in the fountain. Shall we move on?"

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Flo frowns a bit as the eye piece crumbles. Too bad, this would have been an interesting research item for someone I'm sure. She delicately wipes the dust from her hands and tosses the other piece from her pocket to the floor. She watches Bacon and thinks she saw him pocket the item, but can't be sure. She puts that thought away for future conversation with the clever one and waves him on as he starts back toward them.

Inside the fountain room, magic has been busy again. A door appears where once was none discernable by Flo. She peeks into the fountain quickly to see if anything has changes since the fire incident and then heads toward the door to do her thing and make sure the way was safe for her and her friends.

-----------------------------------

(perception (Bacon's actions) 18)

(perception (fountain changes) 17)

(trap finding 21)

(disable device 17)

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Flo notices that the fountain is no longer glowing.

Bronan waits by the door leading on, looking only slightly impatient to get going.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Rowan was inspired by the courage of Bacon. "quite an excellent job there!" Rowan brushes off Bronan's threat, but thinks to himself I dont doubt that he could....

guess we are going back the way we came.  "Bronan no one is doubting your strength, but seeing as there are likely more dastardly traps ahead could we proceed with a touch more caution and save the feats of strength for killing that which needs killing?"  

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Bronan looks to Rowan and Flo goes about her business. "How about I throw your body limp body down all future hallways first?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625