Forums are back in action! ×

[Pathfinder] Journeys.

After narrowly escaping the flames the group continues through the door that was revealed after the fires settle. As they pass through the door they see that the pathway within is covered in large webbing. From floor to ceiling.

The group moves to the center of the room. There are numerous large objects suspended from the webbing. Some have limbs hanging out from them. A pathway can be seen ahead, through a thin wall of webbing.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

"This is just incredible. The things this sorcerer did to keep something safe is over the top or I am misjudging what we might find."

Flo checks out the webbing as they move to the center of the room.

"First fire from statues and then this? Hum... How delicate do you think the webbing is? Is it just me or is our cave maker giving up hints as to how to solve this riddle? I was thinking fire would work much better than weapons and my glorious skin and precious clothes. What say ye?"

Flo checks out the subjects suspended and tries to discern where the spider or spiders might actually be, if any.

"Does this webbing move on it's own? Or do we have to touch it or try to get through it first? So many things I don't know about webs."

(Perception to detect spiders/aggressors to the party: 22)

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

"Of course. Spiders. Why did it have to be spiders?" Bacon thinks to himself. Creepy little crawlers were never good news and were not always "little". He had heard tales of goblins and other creatures that were actually using them as mounts. And then, there were the dark elves...

Enough of that. Pull yourself together. "Uhm, folks? Anybody got a torch we could use to burn a path through the webbing? I rely on my magical light so I didn't bring any" he smiles at the rest of the group. Until he gets an answer, Bacon casts Mage Armor on himself just in case.

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Bronan immediately drops his sack and sticks his shield arm through the straps of his shield as they walk into the room of webs. In his other hand he takes up his warhammer. The only reason for this amount of webs and creatures being caught in it that he could think of was that it was the lair of some sort of giant spider from children's nightmares, nightmares birthed from the stories that older kids tell around campfires at night to scare their younger brethren.

Turning in circles and scanning all corners of the room, Bronan replies to Littlebro when he asks about torches. "Not I little man, I too brought only sunrods. I do have flint and steel in my right belt pouch however, if anyone has something else to set alight as kindling."

He then motions with his warhammer to the arms and legs sticking out of the suspended objects above. "Do you think it's smart to burn the webbing with those there? They couldn't possibly be alive, could they? I'm all for burning it all and taking the chance if we have to, but it might be smarter to get them down and see first, mayhap they'll repay us for releasing them."

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Armed with extra confidence (after getting armored with extra magic), Bacon adopts a scholarly tune as he answers Bronan's question. "As a matter of fact, I do. For starters, spiders usually feel the slightest move of their webs, it alerts them to the presence of potential prey, meaning they're coming anyway, so we might as well frighten and confuse them, gaining the upper hand. Second, if the webs start burning, anyone still alive and trapped in them will probably be able to escape or at least drop to the ground before getting crisped alive. That is, IF there's anyone that  the spiders have left alive there to marinade. Third and most important -and definately not because I am a handler of arcane powers- but setting things on fire and watching them burn is significantly badass."

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Bad Ass? Flo dismisses it as a local to Bacon's world joke. But why promote asses over stallions, she didn't understand at all.

"I say we start the fire, see how said spiders react, light the webbing somewhere, and then see what gives up there. Unless someone has an idea how to cut the webbing without getting our weapons stuck? An arrow won't do much good. A sword would likely only get one good swing in. And the massive thing Bronan carries would... well, I don't really know as I've never seen such a contraption before. Bronan, you were the one who wanted to ensure their safety if possible, do you know how you wanted to do that? I've never dealt with spiders the size that could make this so I'm flummoxed." 

She checks her belongings, not remembering, for a torch or something to light afire. 

The Way

Better Now than Later On

OOC: Mr DM, how high up are said bundles of limbs?

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The bundles are hanging within reach of average sized members of the group.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Flo comes up amazingly short in her search for torches. Damn Elven eyes! Oh you don't need a torch you can see really good like!

"I got a loaf of bread, does that help," Flo throws out the line with a grin. She looks at Bronan who seems to be judging the height to the held ones. "Hum. Can some of us fend of the what-ever-it-is, while the others get these people down? Ya know, these are probably the townies that came to try and do what we're now trying to do. Plus the Gnome's brother I would guess. I suppose sacrificing them might not be in our favor."

The Way

Better Now than Later On

"As much as you may enjoy that I have no qualms nor reason to fight with you. I being it up in an attempt to avoid needles risk so that one as your self can prove your strength in a fight against this dragon. "

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Ya know, these are probably the townies that came to try and do what we're now trying to do. Plus the Gnome's brother I would guess.

Bacon's eyes flare up after a moment of confusion. "GOBLIN'S! GOBLIN'S BROTHER!" he shouts. "HOW COULD YOU EVER POSSIBLY CONFUSE GOBLINS AND GNOMES?!? THEY'RE FILTHY AND GREEN AND SMELL AND EAT RATS FOR DINNER! MAYBE THE ONES WE MET CAN TALK AND ARE A BIT MORE CIVILIZED, BUT YOU CAN'T CONFUSE THEM WITH GNOMES, THAT'S CRAZY! I HOPE THIS WAS A SLIP OF THE TONGUE, OTHERWISE I DEMAND A FULL APOLOGY FOR THE INSULT!"

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Bronan looks one of the bundles over, looking for a spot that will likely have a hollow spot beneath the surface. As he investigates the bundle, he replies to Rowan distractedly. "That is good then, because I would crush you like a twice bodyweight widowmaker squat set. I welcome your help so that I might fight this dragon as fresh as possible."

Once he finds a spot that he thinks might be hollow, Bronan reaches up and pokes the sac with his warhammer to test it. If he does feel the spot beneath is hollow, he'll try to whack a hole in the sac, starting off by tapping it lightly and building the strength of his swings as needed as long as he doesn't think he'll hurt whatever is within it too bad.

If the warhammer sticks when he pokes the spot, he'll use that stickyness to try to either tear that section of the sac off, or if it proves stronger than that, to pull the whole thing down. If it supports his bodyweight to the point where as he pulls on the warhammer it pulls him off the ground, then he will look around for someone to start firing arrows at or otherwise cutting whatever bonds are attaching it to the ceiling.

He does all of this while still looking around, expecting the tapping of its web to draw some sort of huge spider that is lurking somewhere out of sight.

500 / 330 / 625

As Bacon berates Flo for her error Rowan and Bronan seem to be applying themselves to furthering their progress. After coming to what appeared to be a moderate level of mutual respect, Bronan begins to poke and prod at the nearest bundle. 

The entire group expects spiders to appear at some point, so they grow eerily quite as Bronan begins to gently probe with his weapon. Suddenly the bundle begins to twist and contort, then one by one all of the bundles in the room begin to squirm, originating from the one Bronan had touched.

Everyone takes a step back, Bronan pulls his weapon away with minimal effort. And suddenly from all of the bundles spiders nearly a foot wide begin to burst forth from their nests. Bronan manages to see what appears to be the half eaten corpse of a goblin within before he reacts to the threat.

I am going to try something slightly different here, please follow the instructions below.

Please make a reflex save to dodge/squash the spiders that are attacking you. You must pass with a roll of 10.

If you fail the roll you must make a fortitude saving throw of 14. 

If you fail that you are poisoned before you manage to kill the spider/spiders upon you.

You may determine how your character acts/reacts based on your own personal results.

• Like 1

I rolled a 13.

Once the sacks start to move rowan quickly spins to his right while pulling out his hand axe from his belt and drinks the axe into the head of the first spider as he finishes his spin. As the first spider dies rowan looks around to see if some of our less armored friends need help.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

"Do you mean to presume, Bacon, that I said that on purpose? I mean, really how -- ah!" A spider jumps past Flo's left breast and she reacts, barely, in time to avoid it's cling. "Later, Bacon! Later!" She crushes the spider under her right foot, with a resounding smack.

While she pulls herself into a spin to get an idea of how many of these spiders there are, she keeps her body loose and ready. Okay, spiders, you have my attention. She stays light on her feet, ready.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Bronan whips his head back just in time (d20+0=11) as a spider jumps out at his head, whipping is warhammer up as it passes and splattering it aginst the ceiling. He looks over to Bacon and shrugs "Nothing inside is alive, have at it my little pyro friend.".

Bronan will containue to stomp spider with his boots and smash them with his hammer until they're all done for. Once the spiders are all dead, he begins looking through the sacks of half eaten goblin to see if there is anything of interest salvagable (equipment, money, etc.).

500 / 330 / 625

"Yuck!" shrieks Bacon, as he hops back. Seeing the spider making a move on Flo alerted him enough to avoid the swarm coming down the webs. Hopping around on both legs to stomp on as many of them as possible, he shouts "CAN WE GO NOW BEFORE THEIR MOM SHOWS UP?" hysterically to the rest of the group

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Rowan dodges spiders as he puts his Habs axe away and grabs his great sword. He then begins to cut great swaths of Web away so the group can move pay the seemingly endless group of spiders. "We should be able to get out this way.

If I need to roll anything to do this let me know.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

As Rowan begins swinging his greatsword the rest of the group dispatches the remaining spiders.

Suddenly all grows silent, and all that can be heard is Rowan swinging away, and he too stops shortly after realizing that all the smaller spiders had been dispatched.

Please roll a d20 and add your perception stat to it. Please open the appropriate spoiler tag AFTER completing the roll.

Roll equals greater or equal to 18

A large spider descends from above. Its fangs drip with venom. It attempts to take the group by surprise.

You have avoided the surprise attack, but some may have not. You can attack or move this turn but not both. You only have a split second to react. Please post what you will do right away, and then what you will do once you can move freely after the first turn. Please also post your initiative.

Rolled less than an 18

Before you know it a large spider is upon you. You can only hope that someone else in the group noticed the spider. Its fangs are dripping with venom as it lunges to attack, and you have no time to react.

You have been surprise attacked. You cannot attack this first round. Please still roll for initiative and post what you will do once you can attack in the next round.

OOC: perception 15 and initiative 2. Initiative is killing me here.

Bronan doesn't see the spider coming, but when he does, a grin lights up his face. Finally something that will actually offer some resistance to his hammer! He gleefully charges in swinging. (Armed with warhammer, heavy spiked medium shield, no armor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625

Flo spots movement above her as the significantly larger spider slips down close enough for a fight. She yells out a warning, but is unsure if it reaches anyone in time. The spider draws the vast majority of her attention. Her fist strikes out at the spider, searching for contact.

Occ:

18 for surprise roll

Int roll: 21

Att: 18

Dam: 3 nonlethal

The Way

Better Now than Later On

19 for perception and 16 for initiative. Rowan heaves his great sword in an attempt to hit the spider as it is trying to get the jump on him.

Attack 9. As soon as rowan begins his swing he notices that his feet were not properly planted and is likely going to miss the attack.

If successful damage 11.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Total of 15 for Perception and 7 for Initiative

Priority is to get away from the spider while avoiding any attacks (a.k.a. withdrawing). If there's a clear path to the other side of where the rest of the group is standing, Bacon will get there so they can flank the monster, otherwise he'll retreat behind the others. If he has a clear shot with his crossbow, he'll take it, but if that's impossible due to others involved in melee with the target and getting in the line of fire, he'll switch to his longspear, use reach to keep a safe distance and use the aid another action to facilitate the attacks of the others, whoever seems to be needing that help the most

Lvl 65 Multitasker