Forums are back in action! ×

One year in

Raev

9/20/13 I had a physical and weighed in at 241lbs at 6'4".  My good cholesterol was low, though my bad was on the high end of acceptable. Glucose was a little high, though not yet dangerously so. I was tired of being out of shape and tired of having to buy new pants.  I was tired of being tired.  I was tired of having a pelvic tilt.  I didn't want my health to start suffering.  I was tired of making excuses. 

I knew of NF but hadn't really invested a lot of time into it.  Well, I started to after the physical.  I started asking a ton of questions, even though I was embarrassed to be so clueless about it all.  I didn't even know what it was that I didn't know!  People helped me, tremendously.  El Exercisto, Gainsdalf, Rooks, Waldo and many others opened my eyes and helped point me in the right direction.  To each person, I am deeply grateful. 

I started with diet.  Then on December 28th I started SL5x5 with an empty bar.  I kept going, kept asking questions, kept trying to get through one more day.  I kept reading the awesome articles posted by Steve and Staci.

Today, I'm still not in the shape I want to be.  It took me a decade to get in as poor shape as I had though, so I know one year isn't going to fix it all.  However, as of yesterdays physical I stood at 215lbs.  My good cholesterol was at 40 (an improvement).  My bad was at 101 (an improvement). My glucose was down.  I've lost numerous inches off of my belt line.  I'm stronger than I have been since my early 20s, if not ever. 

The numbers don't lie.  I'm healthier.  I'm stronger. 

The best parts for me is that in March my wife saw the progress I was making and even though she's a skinny little thing (5'4", 125lbs) she decided to start lifting and now goes to the gym with me three times a week. 

Even better is my teenage daughter, who over the weekend came and sat down with me and told me that she had goals.  We discussed her goals, her motivations and long term desires and using what I've learned here I was able to help her identify what she had to do to reach her goals.  I was able to better educate my child and help arm her with information that will help lead a long, healthy life - thanks to NF.

So, I'm excited.  I'm grateful.  I felt the need to share.

• Like 10

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Way to go Raev. That's such a huge improvement. Keep on chuggging and you'll get where you want to be. You're damn far down the path as it is.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf