Forums are back in action! ×

A Monk walks into the bar

So hi.

I'm a gamer girl, a cartoonist, a martial arts admirer and a lover of books both graphic novel and comics, Sci Fi and fantasy. I'm also a paleo girl and from 3 years ago to today I have gone from 335 to 250. Earlier this year I was hit by a car when walking across the street and it upset my back and an old shoulder injury. Just got the all clear from my doctor to start lifting (lightly) so I'm going to do what I can now.

I have been trying to get away from 250 for a year now, stuck while trying to lose it through paleo ketosis which isn't working at all and it's just keeping me steady at 250. So I'm going back to paleo only and increasing my carbs for a while. I had them at 25g a day.

I'm doing the beginner workout routine right now, 3 times a week and intervals twice. I want to eventually be a monk (obviously) but right now I'm a fat half-dragon of a chick that walks around trying to get the rest of this crap off me, hiding in corners and avoiding full gyms. So for now I'm an adventurer until I get fit enough to join my local wing chun dojo, hopefully in January and can join the monk guild.

I'm also vvery new after just having found out about this so I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Level 1 Dwarf Half-Dragon Monk

Monk Apprentice. My Current Challenge.

STR: 1 | STA:1 | DEX: 0 | CON: 0| WIS: 1 | CHA: 0

"Do or do not. There is no try." -Awesome Short Dude

Hey Monk,

I'm new too, as in this is my first post and I just signed up like 14 seconds ago.  I just wanted to say congrats on your progress!  Also don't feel the need to hide in a corner, unless ... you know you're stealthing and prepping to backstab an Orc or something.  Then obviously you'd do that, double damage is OP.  BUT! My favorite people at the gym I go to are the ones who come in with some work to do before they hit their fitness goals and just get going.  It's great to see.

Best of luck see you on the forums

Welcome!  You can do it!  :D

Your goals are great, and martial arts is a fantastic workout. I used to practice quite often and have been missing it lately~!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Thanks for the welcome. I did not pummel the car although I did end up on her hood and she was fussing at me for being there before she drove off lol.

I'm really hoping to get the knowledge I need to get to a respectable weight. I'm tired of being gross. For some reason I have it in my head that I can't lose weight and gain muscle, like it's impossible and I'll be stuck at 250 forever. That scares me, but I'm going to keep going.

Welcome from a fellow dwarf monk ;)

What is your art of choice?

Are you participating in next challenge? I hope so. It is a great way to keep the momentum and to push through your difficulties

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

I actually plan on doing either Karate, which is EVERYWHERE here (including a brand new dojo being built on the way home from where I work) and Wing Chun. WIng Chun is my #1 choice, as my older brother has taken it and through his reports he says it would be perfect for me. I have also watched and loved Ip Man, and watch it on as many Youtube vids as I can. 

I am going to be in the next challenge and currently am working on the beginner workouts to get into a position where the challenge won't kill me.

Welcome from a fellow dwarf monk ;)

What is your art of choice?

Are you participating in next challenge? I hope so. It is a great way to keep the momentum and to push through your difficulties

I am going to be in the next challenge and currently am working on the beginner workouts to get into a position where the challenge won't kill me.

The challenges, from what I can tell, are pretty much self-dictated, so you'd only be able to kill yourself if you set the bar waaaaaaaaay too high. I'm doing the next challenge, too, though! My wife has done the last two, so I finally decided to try and join her. 

As for being stuck at a certain weight, I know that feel. It sucks, especially when you're making improvements and just not seeing anything. I've gone from 220lbs to 188lbs in 4 months, but there have been weeks where I was stuck at the same weight despite exercising like mad and keeping track of my calories. I found that so long as I eat a certain amount of calories and exercise a certain amount of time a day, I'm generally all right. I use MFP to track, although I'm thinking of getting a FitBit as a birthday present to myself.

What kind of books do you like to read? I'm big on paranormal and urban fantasy.

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

? ?

The challenges, from what I can tell, are pretty much self-dictated, so you'd only be able to kill yourself if you set the bar waaaaaaaaay too high. I'm doing the next challenge, too, though! My wife has done the last two, so I finally decided to try and join her. 

As for being stuck at a certain weight, I know that feel. It sucks, especially when you're making improvements and just not seeing anything. I've gone from 220lbs to 188lbs in 4 months, but there have been weeks where I was stuck at the same weight despite exercising like mad and keeping track of my calories. I found that so long as I eat a certain amount of calories and exercise a certain amount of time a day, I'm generally all right. I use MFP to track, although I'm thinking of getting a FitBit as a birthday present to myself.

What kind of books do you like to read? I'm big on paranormal and urban fantasy.

It's been a while since I've really read anything that wasn't a comic book but as far as novels I prefer anything by R A Salvatore. I'm currently working on his Star Wars trilogy, and I'm not sure what where to go next. I had lost track of the wheel of time series, might pick that back up again. I'm mostly into sci fi and fantasy as you can see lol.