Forums are back in action! ×

Looking for New Fantasy Series

... And for epic fantasy, dark intrigue and books that make you put some of the pieces together yourself, look no farther than The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.  Just fantastic.

For you Cornwall fans above, check out Jack Whyte.  Really solid, captivating historical fiction.  He actually got me into Cornwall, because the two authors are often compared online.

I've been eye-balling the Malazan Book of the Fallen series after discovering a metal band called Calladan Brood that solely bases their music off that series.  Being a big fan of them, I ought to give the inspiring series a glance at some point soon.

And being an even bigger fan of Cornwall, I'll definitely have to check out Jack Whyte.  Any suggestions for where best to start with his works?

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I'd start with A Dream of Eagles (aka the Camulod Chronicles), which starts with The Skystone.  There's 9 books total, but one (Uther) is a semi-standalone.  It's a retelling of the legend of King Arthur but from a historical only perspective, with none of the magic that regularly accompanies that tale.  I've read Cornwall's Arthur series as well, and I honestly prefer Whyte's version.  

There's also a Knight's Templar series and a series about Scottish Independence (William Wallace, Robert the Bruce).  Out of those two I liked the Scottish one better, but I think it's just because I wasn't into the time period and history of the Templars as much - they were still quite good.

Following for books to add to my queue!

I gotta rec my favorite fantasy series, The Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch. It's not complete, but each book stands alone pretty well. It's not at all like GoT, but it does have really fun characters, sharp wit, a gritty non-medieval fantasy seeing, and a good dose of political intriguing and scheming.

Sent using Tapatalk. Brevity mode on.

Level 19 Ravenclaw Rebel

"Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become." (James Clear, Atomic Habits)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21/21

CURRENT CHALLENGE: AThousandWords casts a vote

Adding my vote to WOT and Brandon Sanderson. Also, the David Eddings series The Belgariad is my most read series of books ever. Love, love, love.

Having read through, I haven't seen a mention of Raymond E Feist I don't think. Magician is a huge book, it is standalone but kicks off the Riftwar Saga and that goes on for around a thousand books. Magician is my favourite single book ever :)

My Log

Weight loss progress

7%
7%

I don't think anyone mentioned the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust yet.  They are short, quick reads, but recommended.  It might be a little confusing on which to read first.  I started with Jhereg and loved it.   It has action, it has humor, and (depending on the book, some have more, some less) it has politics, though not as crazy and complex as GoT.