Forums are back in action! ×

Weight Room Etiquette: Asking to share a barbell rack?

So I'm trying to get started on a barbell weight training program (SL 5x5.)  Why only trying not actually doing you ask?  Well the issue I'm coming across is the local community center where my wife and I are currently members only has 2 barbell racks.  On days where I go in the morning, Monday and Friday, both racks are usually occupied at some point.  Or when one is available it is only briefly and it would be 20 minutes after I get to the rec center.  The option of waiting until it a rack is open or going a later time isn't much of an option at this point as the rec center opens at 5:30 and I have to be a leaving my house for work no later than 7:15.

One thing I have noticed is when I first get there at 5:30ish is the same dude using the rack.  The other rack usually occupied by a father/son pair so they are alternating between the two of them.  The single guy is on the rack usually for squats and/or benches and calf raises with long rests between sets.

So the question is, how do you approach someone to see if you can share the rack while he is resting between his sets?  Is it even appropriate to ask such a thing?  Obviously since I'm just starting off I will be at a much different weight than he is so there would be a lot of swapping plates.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

It's certainly appropriate, but if there's a huge difference in weight it's not recommended.  Mainly just because swapping out the plates every set is a major PITA.  If you're lifting near the same weight and just need to add/drop a few pounds it's probably ok though.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

You simply walk up to him and ask to "work in" (use that verbiage, welcome to the bro speak). As long as you are the one changing to the weights you need then back to his and aren't taking longer than than his rest time to do that plus your set, he should be cool with it.

I've never said no. Most guys will even help with the plate swapping and be more than happy to shoot the shit as long as they're not the type to be doing their own thing between sets.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Switching lots of plates around is mildly inconvenient, but still not really a big deal, IMX. I've shared a rack for squats with a guy doing bench press, so every set meant stripping off all the plates, moving the pins, bringing the bench into the rack, putting his plates on, and then undoing the whole thing so I could squat again. Wasn't a problem. That dude was also crazy strong and gave me some good tips.

If for some reason you need to wait for someone to finish, the polite way to ask seems to be "How many sets do you have left?" This sounds less impatient than "How much longer will you be here?" or "Will you be done soon?"

You can't push your limits without touching them.

Battle Log

You simply walk up to him and ask to "work in" (use that verbiage, welcome to the bro speak). As long as you are the one changing to the weights you need then back to his and aren't taking longer than than his rest time to do that plus your set, he should be cool with it.

I've never said no. Most guys will even help with the plate swapping and be more than happy to shoot the shit as long as they're not the type to be doing their own thing between sets.

Because I'm a midget, I prefer working in based on height rather than weight being lifted.  If a taller person wants to work in and are happy with squatting and benching at midget height, I'm cool.

Working in on bench press requires additional knowledge of how to hand out to archy midgets though.

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7