Forums are back in action! ×

Sudden chin up!

It's been about a month since I've tried doing a chin up without resistance bands. The previous sunday I thought I should try one just for shits and giggles, and I just kept rising and rising until my head was above the handles. I was so stunned I stood gaping for a good 30 seconds, and then had a good laugh. It took about three months, but now I can finally do a chin up! :D

• Like 6

I love that in the world of fitness, nothing happens gradually ..... its like nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing ... BOOM I can do it 

Congrats on the chin up .... its a woot AND a milestone, now you can do one, getting to 2 then 5 is a lot quicker

• Like 1

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

I live in a dorm, and the only door I have is the one that protects my privacy, so putting up a pull up bar there is kind of awkward. I could try doing close-grip pull ups when I pass the door, though. There's some crossbeams at uni I might be able to use for greasing the groove, but it's kind of douchey to do chin ups in such a private place :P

I'm currently planning on doing 5 reps for 3 sets. Does this sound reasonable, or should I focus on doing longer negatives?

I'm currently planning on doing 5 reps for 3 sets. Does this sound reasonable, or should I focus on doing longer negatives?

Your daily/weekly/monthly goal should always be to do more than you could do yesterday/last week/last month. If you can already do 3x5, try to work in a partial 4th set. Then a 5th. Then try to add reps to a few sets until you can do 5x6. And so on. When you can do 5 sets of 8, add weight and do fewer reps (5x5). This is based on the simple idea that 5x5 is the sweet spot.

This is just one way of many to progress. The main thing is to have no shortsighted end goal where you stop trying to progress. Always aim to do more. You won't always be able to do more, but it should be your goal.