2.5 years to respawn?

Let's see...

...Three job changes

...Two mental health providers

...Two (admittedly local) moves

...A completely new, supportive medical team

...Three logical (and frustrating) diagnoses

...A loving partner

...And at least 20 pounds gained later...

And I'm respawning on the forums! I just returned from a wedding in New Orleans (land of all delicious foods made with cream) where I was a totally happy but really frazzled Maid of Honor who wanted to die of mortification when asked by a bridesmaid "So you're totally going to wear Spanx, right?"

This will be very different from previous challenges as now I have a much better idea of what I'm up against, and amazing structures that could totally help me. 

I'm hoping for a small win over the next two weeks -- successfully doing a really basic bodyweight plan before I go to work every day:

M/W/F - 20 inline pushups (2x10) + 20 one-arm rows with a 5lb weight (2x10)

T/Th/S - 20 quarter squats (20° w/ chair back for balance, 2x10) + 30s of planks (I'd love to say 2x15 but it will likely be 3x10)

Warm-ups will likely be marching in place, jumping jacks, or a 5m dance party in my kitchen.

Two weeks. I can do this.

• Like 5

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

(no longer wandering off the path of health) 

Current Challenge:  | Previous Challenges: Finding Peace of MindChaos Maintenance!

Hi there :)

I'm totally new here, but joined in after a few years of following Nerd Fitness in the spirit of respawning! Just wanted to say I understand taking time to respawn... Sometimes it just takes longer than usual to load up your last save :) 2 years ago I started conquering my depression and binge eating. After 6 months I stalled out and am just respawning now. I had to give you a shout to say that you have my support, I've been through a lot of changes in the past few years too, and I feel like eventually you're just ready to find out you can actually do this thing. So I wish you the best of luck, and may the force be with you! :)

• Like 4

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

WOW! I actually did it today! This is somewhat mind-blowing as I was home from work.

Warm-up: Light boxing (we have a heavy bag in the apt) for ~3.5m

20 pushups (4 sets of 5 apiece)

20 one-arm rows with weight (2x10 per side)

With some arm and neck stretches to cool down a bit.

Tomorrow: quarter squats, planks, and likely kitchen dance party while I make coffee or breakfast!

• Like 2

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Current Challenge:  | Previous Challenges: Finding Peace of MindChaos Maintenance!

Hi there :)

I'm totally new here, but joined in after a few years of following Nerd Fitness in the spirit of respawning! Just wanted to say I understand taking time to respawn... Sometimes it just takes longer than usual to load up your last save :) 2 years ago I started conquering my depression and binge eating. After 6 months I stalled out and am just respawning now. I had to give you a shout to say that you have my support, I've been through a lot of changes in the past few years too, and I feel like eventually you're just ready to find out you can actually do this thing. So I wish you the best of luck, and may the force be with you! :)

Hi Hybrid! I didn't start truly tackling my anxiety until last year, and only started touching on depression this past June. It's definitely been a rough ride, and I can totally get stalling out. Props on your respawn, and welcome to the forums! You have my support, bow, and throwing knives! (Short on axes, generally...) Good luck to you too!

• Like 1

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Well, managed to somewhat jank up the rest of the week...

Thu - DID squats. Revising this from quarters to halfs as I *think* I can manage it. No planks as I managed to jack up one of my lower stomach muscles and just standing straight was painful.

Fri/Saturday - nada. Ugh. Two in a row.

Started acupuncture yesterday for migraines and lower back. Did yoga today to continue helping the back, and tomorrow is a new week.

• Like 1

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

>Two weeks. I can do this.

You can. You have an achievable plan and you're not over-reaching. At a guess I'd suggest give yourself a little more time to warm up, because you pulled something and that's a clue. I like dancing as a warm up. I have a set of gentle "healing yoga" that I do first, and then onto the warm up.

Good luck!

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

>Two weeks. I can do this.

You can. You have an achievable plan and you're not over-reaching. At a guess I'd suggest give yourself a little more time to warm up, because you pulled something and that's a clue. I like dancing as a warm up. I have a set of gentle "healing yoga" that I do first, and then onto the warm up.

Good luck!

Going a small set of yoga sounds like an excellent idea! Do you recommend any resources?

Yesterday's attempt at pushups went rather poorly (I think in part because I was stupid enough to skip the warm-up!) and curls didn't occur at all. Going to kick off my squats now -- there's GOT to be a way to better motivate myself into morning activity.

• Like 1

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

My 1 rep goal tricked me into doing my pushups. I did 1 and kept going. But I only started because I knew I was allowed to quit after 1!

Yoga resources-- I've been going for years to Shoshoni Yoga Camp near me. It's a great place and I have a number of customized routines. I would start with no more than 4 basic moves-- something you can complete in 5 minutes max. Smaller is better. Do a spinal twist of some sort, hip stretch, cat/cow and downward dog and STOP. No more. Just those. Do it until it becomes a habit. 

For me, the thing about not starting means the effort is too big. Reduce the effort. Get it down to a size you will do. If it's 30 seconds, that's the goal. When it's comfortable and you actually miss it if you don't do it, then add 1 exercise more. This method works for me!

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Hey, Liz! How's it going?

Check in when you can. :)

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

My 1 rep goal tricked me into doing my pushups. I did 1 and kept going. But I only started because I knew I was allowed to quit after 1!

Yoga resources-- I've been going for years to Shoshoni Yoga Camp near me. It's a great place and I have a number of customized routines. I would start with no more than 4 basic moves-- something you can complete in 5 minutes max. Smaller is better. Do a spinal twist of some sort, hip stretch, cat/cow and downward dog and STOP. No more. Just those. Do it until it becomes a habit. 

For me, the thing about not starting means the effort is too big. Reduce the effort. Get it down to a size you will do. If it's 30 seconds, that's the goal. When it's comfortable and you actually miss it if you don't do it, then add 1 exercise more. This method works for me!

Good luck. 

Maybe for the push-ups I'll reset to the "just 1 rep." I really like that trick. I also really like the 5m yoga. I wonder if I could sneak that in every morning... like you said, do it until it becomes a habit. :)

Awesome! I love your enthusiasm, I am respawning myself and your attitude is just the best :) I'll try to be like that too.

I wish you luck on your path 

Thank you so much! I wish you all the luck as well. 

Hey, Liz! How's it going?

Check in when you can. :)

Thank you so much for checking up on me!!! A combination of work emergencies, a final exam, and the flu knocked me on my butt. :( So I broke the "not 2 days in a row" rule but today I managed to get my squats in! Yippee!!!

Going to try working in that just 5 minutes of yoga tomorrow morning with just 1 pushup and arm curls. After all, it's JUST a few minutes, right?? ;)

• Like 1

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Holy cannoli, I actually did shit this morning! It was minimal, but... 

- 5 incline pushups

- A mini yoga sequence (pretty close to a shortened Sun Salutation A sequence) of Mountain > Arms Up > FF > HFF > Downward Dog > Cat-Cow > Downward Dog > HFF > FF > Arms up > Mountain.

You were right, this felt SOOOO good to accomplish! Took MAYBE a few minutes. I'm debating what I want to do tomorrow so that I can work in the spinal twist and hip openers.

• Like 2

~*~ WanderingLiz ~*~

Holy cannoli, I actually did shit this morning! It was minimal, but... 

- 5 incline pushups

- A mini yoga sequence (pretty close to a shortened Sun Salutation A sequence) of Mountain > Arms Up > FF > HFF > Downward Dog > Cat-Cow > Downward Dog > HFF > FF > Arms up > Mountain.

You were right, this felt SOOOO good to accomplish! Took MAYBE a few minutes. I'm debating what I want to do tomorrow so that I can work in the spinal twist and hip openers.

That is awesome! Doesn't it feel great? I just did my 5min yoga, also. Even with a cold it's possible. It feels so good to get moving and accomplish something.

Go, Liz! Whahoo!

Feel better!

Level 9 Ranger

Sorry I'm late to the party, but congrats on your re-spawn! :D

Oh, and #*&$#(! that bridesmaid.  Seriously.

• Like 1