Forums are back in action! ×

G00d F00d W00t!

Starting on January 1st, I threw myself wholeheartedly into the Dolce Diet in preparation for my charity boxing match in February.  I know, I know, any capitalized diets are generally considered fads and worthy of public mockery, but Dolce has been on the Ellis show several times, and he's gotten a ridiculous amount of press from his stable of very successful UFC athletes.  Reading the book was also very educational for me, learning about his history as a power lifter, wrestler and MMA fighter. He's not a 'doctor' with a degree from West Hollywood Upstairs Medical University... he's an athlete who's worked out what works for him, and I figured I would give it a shot.

I lost 5 lbs the first week.

I lost 5 lbs the second week.

I've lost ~2 lbs in each of the third and fourth weeks. 

My BMI is below 30 for the first time possibly ever. Everyone at my MMA gym says I look completely different, and even my teacher is praising my speed and form now.  I'm still a big and objectively fat guy (6'4" and 246 lbs), but there's so much less fat it's ridiculous.

But the biggest success has to be the food habits.  An entire month on this 'diet', and it's been probably the easiest thing I've done, fitness-wise, because it's not a difficult diet.  It's entirely made up of stuff that I like to eat, more or less.  It's been difficult to eat THAT MANY vegetables, because I generally don't like veggies, but when you're hungry it's amazing how delicious they are. I drink a lot of tea now, instead of coffee with milk. I treat myself with tiny yogurts. My fridge is absolutely PACKED with food, which is highlighting JUST HOW MUCH FOOD I USED TO EAT BEFORE.  Seriously, buying food as we usually did and socking away leftovers as we usually did, the fridge and freezer were soon overflowing.  MAN, I used to eat a lot.

This is a way of eating I can keep up, hopefully forever. This is a simple change (more veggies, less sugar, less food volume in total) that's really easy (lactose-free cheeses are allowed, spicy foods are allowed, meat is definitely allowed). Some simple prep also still allows me to still handle my home's cooking duties (three picky kids and a sometimes-vegetarian wife), while providing my own meals.  And a final bonus, our food bills have dropped dramatically. 

So, more than just the weight or the fitness, this is changing 30 YEARS of terrible food habits.  With luck, I will be able to thank Dolce in person after my fight, and he's already agreed to show up at the event. 

Wish me luck!

• Like 7

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.