Forums are back in action! ×

Welcome to the Gun Show

I have no guns, but am here for the show.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have no guns, but am here for the show.

Likewise. I'm morally opposed to doing curls so I get 100% of my bicep work when I work on my back. It's not condusive to having "guns"
  • Like 1

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

Likewise. I'm morally opposed to doing curls so I get 100% of my bicep work when I work on my back. It's not condusive to having "guns"

Reverse grip pull ups work the biceps pretty well too.  (or whatever the hell they're called.  with your palms towards you)

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I used to be, but it was silly, and has contributed to tendonitis in my elbow due to my triceps being much stronger than my biceps. Curls and bicep heavy pulls have been added. Hopefully I can contribute in a few months.

Reverse grip pull ups work the biceps pretty well too.  (or whatever the hell they're called.  with your palms towards you)

Chin-ups, they're great.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

So... I've actually got tendinitis in my elbow right now.   If you're telling me doing curls can help rehab it and/or prevent it from happening again, I'll change my stance on curls officially and forever. 

Otherwise, I've avoided beach muscles for decades, it won't kill me to continue doing so.

• I am not a lawyer.
  • Your mileage may vary

So... I've actually got tendinitis in my elbow right now.   If you're telling me doing curls can help rehab it and/or prevent it from happening again, I'll change my stance on curls officially and forever. 

Otherwise, I've avoided beach muscles for decades, it won't kill me to continue doing so.

The things that have helped my tenonditis recently:

• Rolling out the muscles above and below, especially below in the forearm. I've finally identified the exact tendon the pain originates from. It runs from the inside of the elbow, and down the inside of the forearm, crossing over to the middle a bit. Every time it pains me, I get a golf ball and roll the shit out of it between every set (usually squats, chins, and bench flare it up). Hurts like a bithc when I've doing it, but loosens it up and the pain subsides set to set instead of getting worse. This is probably the biggest thing, and it's been flaring less and less the past few weeks.
  • Curls are the other recent thing added. At the end of each workout, do 3 sets of 8-12 of a curl variation. Doing ez-bar curls, every 2 minutes on the minutes, this takes all of 4-6 minutes, Using dumbbells and swicthing hands could take slightly longer.

Like I said, mine has been going away this past month or so since I started these two things. Experiment for yourself and see if it works for you. If not, ditch it.

edit: from this picture I think it's the tendon that attaches the bicep to the forearm, which explains why i always early on I thought it was bicep tendonitis as the pain radiates upward into the muscle.

500 / 330 / 625

I don't do curls, either.  For the most part, I don't do weights at all, which I guess is why I have the little pew! pew! pew! guns and not the big ones.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I'll second Gainsdalf's comments about curls for elbow tendonitus.  I use dumbbells and do what I call curl presses.  curl then shoulder press.  It's a good thing to superset legs with.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I'll second Gainsdalf's comments about curls for elbow tendonitus.  I use dumbbells and do what I call curl presses.  curl then shoulder press.  It's a good thing to superset legs with.

Believe it's called the "Arnold Press".

500 / 330 / 625

I used to be, but it was silly, and has contributed to tendonitis in my elbow due to my triceps being much stronger than my biceps. Curls and bicep heavy pulls have been added. Hopefully I can contribute in a few months.

The things that have helped my tenonditis recently:

• Rolling out the muscles above and below, especially below in the forearm. I've finally identified the exact tendon the pain originates from. It runs from the inside of the elbow, and down the inside of the forearm, crossing over to the middle a bit. Every time it pains me, I get a golf ball and roll the shit out of it between every set (usually squats, chins, and bench flare it up). Hurts like a bithc when I've doing it, but loosens it up and the pain subsides set to set instead of getting worse. This is probably the biggest thing, and it's been flaring less and less the past few weeks.
  • Curls are the other recent thing added. At the end of each workout, do 3 sets of 8-12 of a curl variation. Doing ez-bar curls, every 2 minutes on the minutes, this takes all of 4-6 minutes, Using dumbbells and swicthing hands could take slightly longer.

Like I said, mine has been going away this past month or so since I started these two things. Experiment for yourself and see if it works for you. If not, ditch it.

edit: from this picture I think it's the tendon that attaches the bicep to the forearm, which explains why i always early on I thought it was bicep tendonitis as the pain radiates upward into the muscle.

Annnnnd I think I need to start doing curls.  I also have no guns to speak of.  And frequently wonder about why humanity likes them so much. (Mainly as I watch the Bros at my gym marvel at themselves in the mirror.)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Sounds like you're basically doing half a Man Maker.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I don't get the aversion to curls. I feel like we try so hard not to be Bros and fall into that category that we end up neglecting beneficial exercises such as curls. Curls help the elbows and don't we generally always preach balance with our muscles?

Curls for everyone!

• Like 3

I don't get the aversion to curls. I feel like we try so hard not to be Bros and fall into that category that we end up neglecting beneficial exercises such as curls. Curls help the elbows and don't we generally always preach balance with our muscles?

Curls for everyone!

I don't have anything against curls other than that they are super unnecessary. Pull/Chin ups and rows do enough for biceps. The only isolation exercise I do now is calf raises, and I use those to work on grip endurance at the same time.

I'm kind of in the same headspace as Rookie. I don't do isolation exercises at all and until I heard that they might help my elbow I had no intention of doing them.

• I am not a lawyer.
  • Your mileage may vary

Sounds like you're basically doing half a

Yep. Save the man makers for when I want cardio.
  • Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Triceps seem so much harder to photograph.

Very nice! Triceps are hard to catch. They seem to be one of the muscles that flex for a nanosecond when you're doing something in the mirror and then when you try to flex on purpose it's hard to get them just right.

I am not doing curls right now but once I'm out of a caloric deficit I plan to add them in. Same for tricep and calf accessory exercises.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP