Forums are back in action! ×

Who Else is That Person?

I keep trying to include my friends. One of my big motivations to do this, and one of the things that keeps me going when I am feeling like quitting, is the fact that I do want to show my friends that doing physical stuff doesn't have to be a hassle. Making healthy choices doesn't have to taste bad. Most importantly, I want to show my nerd friends that you don't have to fit into this neat little box. You can be interested in fitness and be a nerd, these two things aren't incompatible. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

I got pretty lucky! One of my friends is interested, but he has a hernia to deal with and he's a big guy. Doctor said when he hits 325 he'll be good to do couch to 5k.

He already agreed to do an obstacle course with me when the doctor clears him. Not to brag, but I'm super excited.

I am totally that person, though. I have had to make the conscious effort to keep my effusing to in person rants only. LOL

• Like 1

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

heatherallyse, RandMart- awesome for being the motivational person! It's always good when you find someone to share your crazy with.

For me ... I have a few friends who constantly want to get into fitness stuff, but don't tend to stick with things.  One friend gets really excited and then doesn't follow through, and another friend asks for suggestions then discounts all the suggestions with "I can't do that, X problem"...

The excited one has asked me to provide motivation, advice and poking, so that will be interesting.  Don't think I can convince her to lift with me, though :(

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I have been a bit giddy this week because my husband said, on Monday, that he is considering starting to lift weights. That's a huge step, just considering it, so I'm trying to play it cool. He was a big athlete many moons ago but never liked lifting and once told me that when his team hit the weight room he would generally sit around and just do a few reps when the coach walked by. But I think that an upcoming big birthday (40 in May) and me getting in shape has him changing his mind a bit.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I got pretty lucky! One of my friends is interested, but he has a hernia to deal with and he's a big guy. Doctor said when he hits 325 he'll be good to do couch to 5k.

He already agreed to do an obstacle course with me when the doctor clears him. Not to brag, but I'm super excited.

I am totally that person, though. I have had to make the conscious effort to keep my effusing to in person rants only. LOL

So, which obstacle course are you thinking about?

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Tough mudder is not nearly as hard as they want you to believe. You'll be fine

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

Tough mudder is not nearly as hard as they want you to believe. You'll be fine

The tough part is who I'm doing it with - they'll want to do it as fast as possible, and there's going to be a lot of drinking the night before. I don't want to run it hungover/still drunk. Might have to play the old man card and go to bed early. And as far away from them as possible.

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

The tough part is who I'm doing it with - they'll want to do it as fast as possible, and there's going to be a lot of drinking the night before. I don't want to run it hungover/still drunk. Might have to play the old man card and go to bed early. And as far away from them as possible.

I'm not anywhere near old and I still play the old man card. I tell people that I get cranky without a nap, plus I know I've learned my lesson about doing something massively physical right after a big night of partying. So long as there isn't a ton of obstacles where I have to run and then sprint up a hill and then run again from something, I think I should be able to pull this off in 2016. 

-S t a r . R u b y -

HEROES NEVER DIE

heatherallyse

Seriously, it's not that bad.  There is a lot of waiting at obstacles, plus it's terrain vice street so I don't care who you are, you aren't doing it at a five minute mile--unless you want a sprained ankle and a torn ACL.  I did it with a group of runners (and was running a lot myself at the time)  and it took us three and half hours to complete.  You're talking give or take 20 minute miles.    Yeah, there are individuals who go out there and run like a scalded dog, but if you're in a group and doing the obstacles together, it's fairly leisurely.   I distinctly remember not even starting to feel tired until after nine miles.

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.