Forums are back in action! ×

I've been lurking here for about a week but finally posted a little today and decided I needed to introduce myself. Now that I'm in front of an actual computer and not on a tablet or phone, here it is.

My name is Michelle. After I turned 39 last year (March 2014) something snapped. I knew that I didn't want to waste anymore of my life being overweight and unhappy. I worked on one new small habit every month and lost 44 lbs. I lost 39 of those by last December and have lost the last 5 since the first of the year. The problem is at the moment I'm losing and gaining the same 3 lbs over and over again now. I still have about 30 lbs to lose. 

After finding Nerd Fitness, I've recommitted to making weight training a habit. That's one of the habits I had trouble getting to stick. I always started out too hard and then got so sore I could barely move for several days and then I was reluctant to try again. Every couple of weeks I would try again (usually with a different plan). I'm doing really well on the Beginner's Bodyweight Workout though. I can do 2 circuits with incline pushups instead of regular pushups and when I did it yesterday my legs no longer felt like jello when I was finished! They still probably felt like pudding but not jello!

I also need to work on my diet. I've let too much slide the last few months and I really need to restart working on healthy eating habits again. I'm enjoying thinking about all of this as a game with levels and rewards and I'm getting excited about the process again. I think that was part of my problem, I had gotten bored with everything. Everyone here seems really nice and I can't wait for the next challenge!

• Like 3

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Hi there and welcome!

Sounds like you've identified the main problems and are on the right path mentally in order to deal with them. Making small changes, step by step, in order to form habits that stay is the way to go. Huge changes are ambitious but impossible to maintain, which only leads to disappointment and going round in circles.

It's also great to read that you're enjoying the process, because that means you're going to stick with it! I can't stress enough how important that is, enjoying the process instead of experiencing it as a burden or a torture.

Take the time until next challenge begins to navigate the boards, socialize and pick up information and inspiration. It'll all pay out when you get into your own challenge. Finally, don't be afraid to ask any questions.

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Thanks Basement Cat! I am proud of my progress even though I've been a little down on myself because of the stall. I have to remind myself that I've made a huge difference in the way I feel and look.  And at least I'm stalled and not gaining!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Dark Raider! I'm definitely looking around here on the boards and the blog. There is SO much here though, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Thought I'd drop in.  Saw you read my post.  Yes, Duhiggs book made all the difference in the world for me.  But it only works if it is applied and I've seen a lot of people read it, say great book, and never apply it.  If you decide to read it and want any suggestions, let me know.  One of the keys to having it work is the wording of the habit.  Too often I see people who have read it say "no more sugar" or "no more desserts".  I think "really, do you really believe you will never in your life ever have a dessert"?  Be glad to be a sounding board if you ever want it.

I started adding more fats and proteins to help lose my last 8lbs.  That strengthened my ability to pass up crap foods (sweets and starches).

Best of luck.  You'll get a lot of feedback on this site.

Oh yeah, stop trying to kill it on initial exercise.  Consistency is what rules.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Thanks peelout! I will definitely let you know if I have questions or maybe run my habit ideas by you. I had already noticed when reading your log that you made a point of making sure your habits were sustainable and that was one of the things that made your log so inspirational. I had already filed that away as something to remember when making my own habits.

As for the exercise, boy don't I know it! The problem is it never feels that bad when I'm first doing it! I don't know I've overdone it until later that day or the next. That's one of the reasons I really like the Beginner Bodyweight Workout for right now. All of the exercises are ones I've already done enough that I know my limits. I am pushing those limits some but never so much that it'll put me down for days.

Battle Log