Forums are back in action! ×

Tough Mudder tips?

So my entire office is going to do a Tough Mudder race in November. I've watched the races and read some articles but I would love to get some advice from personal experience. Has anyone done one? What would you recommend training wise? Anything specific I should know about? 

• Like 1

Argent, canton gules, chief dexter lion rampant or, armed and pizzled argent langued gules, sinister ramshead gules.

Shotokan Karate, Danzan-Ryu Jiu Jitsu, Fiorie Armizare

I haven't done a Tough Mudder yet, but I'm training for a Spartan and Mud Hero this summer.  I'm getting what I consider to be adequate upper body work through Crossfit but I've started some Couch To 5K work through the app on my phone and go on irregular weekly trail runs with my training partner.

More than anything I think those trail runs are going to be the big saving grace.

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I did the Missouri Tough Mudder last October, and doing it again this coming October.  I have not done any other mud runs (Spartan, Warrior Dash, etc.). 

First, keep in mind that a TM is a little different in that they specifically design it to not be a race.  You are not timed, and the idea is that you rely on other people to finish the course.  Knowing that, having a team is your biggest advantage.  

Second, for training, lots of bodyweight workouts (pull ups and push ups are especially good, weighted if possible), some weightlifting if you want (don't have to), and some distance running certainly helps too.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I've been increasing body weight workouts and I'll look into that couch to 5k app, I've been looking into cross country running in general. 

• Like 1

Argent, canton gules, chief dexter lion rampant or, armed and pizzled argent langued gules, sinister ramshead gules.

One more thing I forgot.  The only semi-effective way to train for the Arctic Enema is to take cold showers.  I recommend starting about a month before the Mudder and slowly decreasing the amount of hot water you use so that roughly 1 week before the even you're taking showers using zero hot water.  

Yes, it sucks.  But you'll hit the Arctic Enema and not give a shit while everyone else is freaking out.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

One more thing I forgot.  The only semi-effective way to train for the Arctic Enema is to take cold showers.  I recommend starting about a month before the Mudder and slowly decreasing the amount of hot water you use so that roughly 1 week before the even you're taking showers using zero hot water.  

Yes, it sucks.  But you'll hit the Arctic Enema and not give a shit while everyone else is freaking out.  

I haven't taken a hot shower in about a year now.  When I first started reading Brad Thor's books and noticed that the protagonist espouses the virtues of cold showers, I took to the Internets for some research on the topic.  Apparently there are a whole host of reasons why cold showers are quite healthy for you, the least of which not being the alarming wake up you're given.

The James Bond Shower: A Shot of Cold Water for Health and Vitality

I've never been particularly sensitive to cold though.  So it wasn't a dramatic adjustment really.

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I haven't taken a hot shower in about a year now.  When I first started reading Brad Thor's books and noticed that the protagonist espouses the virtues of cold showers, I took to the Internets for some research on the topic.  Apparently there are a whole host of reasons why cold showers are quite healthy for you, the least of which not being the alarming wake up you're given.

They are really beneficial.  And I probably should do it more often.  Just can't quite bring myself to actually do it, unless I have an event coming up.  Like the October Tough Mudder here in Missouri.  I'll do it then for sure. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I do cold showers for corporeal mortification and because James Bond is boss so hopefully that won't be a problem but I'll spread the word at work. We intend to do it as an office team and get try and raise some money for Wounded Warriors.

• Like 2

I haven't done a Tough Mudder yet, but I'm training for a Spartan and Mud Hero this summer.  I'm getting what I consider to be adequate upper body work through Crossfit but I've started some Couch To 5K work through the app on my phone and go on irregular weekly trail runs with my training partner.

More than anything I think those trail runs are going to be the big saving grace.

This.  Best thing you can do is get your running in.  I did a Super Spartan (8 mile) a couple years ago, and I got there, and half the guys there look like bodybuilders, so I was a bit nervous at first.  Thought maybe I'd get left in the dust.  Then I noticed I was passing all these guys, because although they could bench press 300 pounds, they couldn't get themselves over walls or run more than 100 yards without stopping to walk!  I'm not saying you have to be a fast runner or even have to run the whole thing (you won't), I'm just saying every time you go out for a training run/walk, you put yourself in a MUCH better position at the Tough Mudder!  Good luck!  

• Like 2

This.  Best thing you can do is get your running in.  I did a Super Spartan (8 mile) a couple years ago, and I got there, and half the guys there look like bodybuilders, so I was a bit nervous at first.  Thought maybe I'd get left in the dust.  Then I noticed I was passing all these guys, because although they could bench press 300 pounds, they couldn't get themselves over walls or run more than 100 yards without stopping to walk!  I'm not saying you have to be a fast runner or even have to run the whole thing (you won't), I'm just saying every time you go out for a training run/walk, you put yourself in a MUCH better position at the Tough Mudder!  Good luck!  

Very true.  As much as I hate running (which is a lot), it's a necessary evil in this case.  The Mudder is around 11-15 miles depending on the course they set up.  No need to be able to run the whole thing, unless you're nucking futs.  But being able to run half that distance is a solid goal to have.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

One more thing, since I re-read your OP and noticed it's in November.  There's a couple schools of thought on how to dress.  You will get wet.  If nothing else, the Arctic Enema is full-body immersion.  One school says dress [relatively] heavy, so when you're dry you're warm.  The other says dress very lightly, so you're a bit chilly while running, but you dry off waaaaaay faster after you get wet.  Personally, when I ran last year the race temp was ~50 degrees at the start, and dropped to 40-45 degrees by the end.   I still chose the dress lightly option.  Being dry and cold with fewer clothes is, IMO, better than being wet and cold with a lot of clothes.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

And asking for my Boss "in general how much swearing is tolerated? I looked at these obstacles and can forsee a medium to heavy amount of swearing"

• Like 1

What about shoes? Im a little concerned about running in wet shoes and getting blisters

I've done 3 Toughs so far, and for shoes I swear by my Vibram 5 fingers http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

They're quick to dry and they have amazing grip. I use socks in them and never had blisters. THe one Mudder I ran in regular shoes, I got blsiters. Go figure.

As for training, I have the original training circuit Tough Mudder posted a few years back and it's part of what I am doing now as I train for mine in August.

Min warm up

One minute for each exercise: running, grapevine (alternate sides), side shuffle (alternate sides), high knees, butt kicks

Circuit 1: 10 Min

2 min: jumping jacks

1 min: push ups

2 min: jump rope

1 min: parallel squats

2 min: burpees

1 min: mountain climbers (if possible, put feet on plates and slide them in and out rapidly at the same time for added fun)

1 min: REST

Circuit 2: 10 Min

2 min: skates

1 min: turkish get ups (Hold a dumbell/kettlebell/fat cat in one arm over body. Lie down, get up, never let the weight down) switch sides half way through

2 min: ski jumps

1 min: crawl outs (stand with legs straight and hands flat on floor. Depending on flexibility, walk hands forward as far as possible, then walk feet in towards hands.)

2 min: standing mountain climbers

1 min: side planks (starting in low plank, drop right hip towards ground, then switch to left. Repeat. If too easy, go to high plank)

Circuit 3: 10 Min

2 min: high knees

1 min: pull ups

2 min:quick feet

1 min: balance series (bosu ball squats, bar walking etc...)

2 min: tire run

1 min: plank series (move from low to high plank and back)

Circuit 4: 10 Min

2 min: runing with obstacles (I do up, they see me, I'm down)

1 min: tricep dips

2 min: hand to toe kicks

1 min: lunges

2 min: leap frogs

1 min: towel pull ups

Circuit 5: 10 Min

2 min: mountain climbers

1 min: bench jumps (aka box jumps)

2 min: ski jumps (left and right instead of forward and back)

1 min: pull ups

2 min: jump rope

1 min: mountain climbers (the double leg in and out kind)

Cool Down: 5 Min

30 sec roll down to touch toes, 30 second roll up to standing. Stretch quads, back, shoulders, arms, everything that needs it. Sit on ground with legs up on a wall for 2 min (try not to fall asleep).

• Like 2

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

What about shoes? Im a little concerned about running in wet shoes and getting blisters

I'll second the Vibrams.  I've only run 1 TM so far (plus a 5k Muckfest).  The Vibrams were fantastic.  I can't really say about normal shoes, since I've never run in those.  

And asking for my Boss "in general how much swearing is tolerated? I looked at these obstacles and can forsee a medium to heavy amount of swearing"

Honestly, I don't recall much swearing on the course.  That being said, I have no doubt that it happened.  The people I ran/run with aren't exactly saints.  :P  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

For shoes I'm thinking about checking out the Reebok Spartan series (they have the Sprints and Supers) though for my 5k mud runs I've been just using adidas boosts. I wear them, hose them off as best as I can, throw them in the washer and tumble dry them for 15 mins before setting them to dry outside. I don't use shoes for more than 2 mud runs as they're wrecked by that point so I try to use my 'dog walking' shoes for them and buy a new pair on sale whenever I find them. 

I've thought about vibrams but minimalist running absolutely wrecks my joints, so it's a no go for me. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

There was minimal swearing in the ones I've run. Mostly because everyone was saving their breaths, or too busy cheering each other on to be cussing up a storm.

There were a few 'oh god my balls!' throughout the course though... Arctic enema, over under in the water etc....

• Like 3

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

I'm a filthy curser.  I blame my time in the military.  But I've managed to restrain myself to only the occasional muttered obscenity whenever I struggle with something.

I suspect my mud runs will be more of the same!

• Like 2

The James Bond Shower: A Shot of Cold Water for Health and Vitality

I've never been particularly sensitive to cold though.  So it wasn't a dramatic adjustment really.

OK, since reading this, I've spent the last hour reading about cold showers. I will be taking the plunge and start taking them twice a day. Staying on a workout plan is hard for me. Setting my mind to do something like getting used to cold showers is easy.

....And I've also been reading about Tough Mudders and thinking...hmmmm....who do I know who's crazy enough to do this with me...

• Like 3