Forums are back in action! ×

what do you do when you're feeling down?

For the past week or so I've been feeling pretty crappy. I've not felt much like exercising or doing much at aside from going to work, coming home, eating, going to sleep, repeat. I know that I need to just pick up the weights, or do something, but sometimes that feels like the hardest thing to do. So, I was wondering what some of you do to pick yourself up and get moving again?

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Honestly, I call myself a fatty, make myself put my shoes on, grab my keys, and walk out the door. At that point I'm like "Well, I'm out here, now what?" and I either start jogging or I go to the gym.

Also, I eat more healthy stuff. I tend to only get that way when my calories and hence energy levels are down (like today, forgot my snacks and am cruising at around 1200 kcals).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I have this issue too, due to the combination of winter weather, holiday stress (not a fan of Xmas), etc. I have found the most helpful motivator for me is to look back through my workout notebook. This reminds how far I've come and that I have no reason to sit around doing nothing all day. That isn't who I want to be any more.

Then, like Corey, I put on my gear and force myself outside.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest guest4729

Bleh, that's something that I happen upon often. There are days where I'd rather just sleep all day and do nothing. It gets tiring sometimes because it's like "But...I don't wanna!"

However, a lot of the time I just get my workout clothes on and force myself to walk out the door. I also have a friend who I go with often so I feel like I need to be like "Dude, work out today? What time works?" since I know I should be going. Perhaps you can find a website with people's inspiration stories on how they changed their lives or pictures with motivational saying? I know I've mentioned Pinterest in another thread before - it's aimed more towards girls but that doesn't mean men can't use it. They can go to the fitness section, look at the hot chicks and then read the motivational pictures for their own motivation. Haha. :)

Or or or! You could get someone to check in on you via text, e-mail, Facebook or phone calls so they can be like "So, did you go to the gym today?" If the answer is no "Okay, so why did you NOT go? Is there something wrong?" or if you did go they could congratulate you and such. Motivation comes in many forms.

Edit: Derp, forgot to finish my post. Yay for short attention spans!

Besides things to do when you're not in the mood to work out, things that get me up when I'm feeling down include:

*Taking a nap - sometimes this helps me feel better

*Go for a walk (if it's nice out)

*Watch something informational

*Cook or bake (something healthy!)

*Pick up a new hobby (who knows what?)

*Draw, read, write - something creative

Many things:

-Talk to ridiculous people about ridiculous things

-Talk about what's going on in all seriousness with someone I trust

-Go to the gym. Regardless of whether or not I want to because I have never, ever regretted going to the gym. Even a shitty, half assed workout is better than sitting on my couch eating white chocolate covered oreos (not that I've ever done that). AND more often than not I won't let myself half ass it.

-Drive down some long roads sans lights every mile listening to some really good music (and gas prices just got low-get going!)

-Listen to some really ridiculously self indulgent music. Over and over and over until I can either sing no more, or feel like stopping.

-Read any of these sites: Ha!, HAHA!, hehe, teehee, harhar, and this silliness.

Hope some of this lightens your mood even the slightest. But remember, going may sound awful and like you don't want to but you will love yourself for it.

And hey, if you go to a gym see if they have boxing classes. No lie, hitting bags for ~hr does wonders ;)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

When I feel down in the winter, I take some vitamin D. For us sickly white kids, it's pretty much a necessity to avoid SAD.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Many things:

-Talk to ridiculous people about ridiculous things

-Talk about what's going on in all seriousness with someone I trust

-Go to the gym. Regardless of whether or not I want to because I have never, ever regretted going to the gym. Even a shitty, half assed workout is better than sitting on my couch eating white chocolate covered oreos (not that I've ever done that). AND more often than not I won't let myself half ass it.

-Drive down some long roads sans lights every mile listening to some really good music (and gas prices just got low-get going!)

-Listen to some really ridiculously self indulgent music. Over and over and over until I can either sing no more, or feel like stopping.

-Read any of these sites: Ha!, HAHA!, hehe, teehee, harhar, and this silliness.

Hope some of this lightens your mood even the slightest. But remember, going may sound awful and like you don't want to but you will love yourself for it.

And hey, if you go to a gym see if they have boxing classes. No lie, hitting bags for ~hr does wonders ;)

i love going on drives and listen to music! Late night drives, Americana, and dirt/gravel roads are my favorite!

All this def lightened my mood! The last link was by far my favorite! I'd love to take a boxing class but can't really afford to do so right now. Thanks for all the encouragement!

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

@ aws thanks for all the advice! I wish someone could check on me and ask me if I worked out today or not. Might get me a little more motivated!

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Honestly, I call myself a fatty, make myself put my shoes on, grab my keys, and walk out the door. At that point I'm like "Well, I'm out here, now what?" and I either start jogging or I go to the gym.

Also, I eat more healthy stuff. I tend to only get that way when my calories and hence energy levels are down (like today, forgot my snacks and am cruising at around 1200 kcals).

Thanks, man. I guess I just need to suck it up and walk out the door. I've been putting off a day hike for the past week. I just can't get that last push out the door. I guess it's mainly work that's dragging me down. I have a very physical job and it just leaves me drained a lot of the time.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Go on the internet and look at pictures of people who have less than 6 months to live, so that you can appreciate what you have...

...then you don't have to work out, but do something with the gift of life...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

i love going on drives and listen to music! Late night drives, Americana, and dirt/gravel roads are my favorite!

All this def lightened my mood! The last link was by far my favorite! I'd love to take a boxing class but can't really afford to do so right now. Thanks for all the encouragement!

Yes! it is the best! It's harder to do in Atlanta than I'd like... but hey.. we have highways :P

Start a battle log. We'll pop in to harass you. You'll find we're good at that.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Go on the internet and look at pictures of people who have less than 6 months to live, so that you can appreciate what you have...

...then you don't have to work out, but do something with the gift of life...

Right you are

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Yes! it is the best! It's harder to do in Atlanta than I'd like... but hey.. we have highways :P

Start a battle log. We'll pop in to harass you. You'll find we're good at that.

haha, it doesnt matter what kind of road. As long as their is music and driving.

I need to try to keep an up to date battle log. Maybe that will help, thanks for the advice.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I watch a few dance videos (I get in shape to dance better) until I go "I want to do that" and go do some exercising.

On a side note, I sometimes wish there was a (less hardcore) version of Fight Club I could go to, and just... fight with someone. I used to do western martial arts stuff which took care of that aggressive tendency, but I moved and now there's nobody to... fight with.

Guest Snake McClain

this is honestly a problem i don't have. i always want to go to the gym. i actually am wishing i had ANYTHING else to do sometimes. I guess...just remember what your goals are and say, "will i get them by doing nothing?" If your answer is yes then congratulations. you've won. If your answer is no..Then go workout.

Realising you have something worth living for is a good motivator. For me personally i know it isn't by my own strength by which i do more than just struggle by.

Accountability is awesome for those of us who haven't disciplined ourselves over years and years of grinding it out and well worth it. Get an accountabillabuddy, someone who can be relied on to check up with you day after day after day, and make it a two way street, You check up on them, they do the same.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

On a side note' date=' I sometimes wish there was a (less hardcore) version of Fight Club I could go to, and just... fight with someone. [/quote']

Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai/MMA Club?

I find when I get down the best thing to do is just try and be around a group of friends. Sometimes it's not always possible but I find more than anything being around people you love just chilling out and relaxing does wonders. Sadly that's not always possible and I'll openly admit that there are times when I end up just munching on a huge chocolate bar to try and make myself feel better. I'm somewhat lucky in that weight has never been and issue so I can get away with it (although I'm sure there are other health effects that I don't see) and frankly it's better than just trying to drink away the problems. Exercise can definitely be good but there are times when I find I get a mood boost straight after but then crash not longer after and end up feeling just as bad if not worse than before.

@ aws thanks for all the advice! I wish someone could check on me and ask me if I worked out today or not. Might get me a little more motivated!

Dude, did you get to the gym today? What'd you do?

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

"being down" means different things to different people, there are some great suggestions in this thread but ultimately you need to figure out what your source of malaise is.

For me, it's usually lack of sleep or poor sleep but you seem to be getting sleep so...what's changed since the fall? Is there something you are doing now that you weren't before, or something you've stopped doing recently?...other than seeing the sun? ;)

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

"being down" means different things to different people, there are some great suggestions in this thread but ultimately you need to figure out what your source of malaise is.

For me, it's usually lack of sleep or poor sleep but you seem to be getting sleep so...what's changed since the fall? Is there something you are doing now that you weren't before, or something you've stopped doing recently?...other than seeing the sun? ;)

Good advice!

What's changed? I think my major distress is my job. Things are becoming harder and harder every day and I doubt they will be getting better anytime soon. I should be able to get a job as an EMT by the summer though, so maybe that will help. I just hate working somewhere that I don't feel like I'm really doing what I want to be doing. I'm thankful for my job though. There are a lot of people that don't even have one. So, don't get me wrong.

I work out at home and I haven't yet worked out today. Bleh, I need to remedy that.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I fight this one all the time! I've heard over and over again that once you start hitting the gym, working out, etc, you'll always want to go to the gym. ~6 months in, and nope. They lied to me! The only time I want to go to the gym is when I'm at work, but sadly, that is because even the gym is better than work :-) I still force myself to go because I am so focused on the results, but last night was a prime example. I had the workout clothes on, I was in my gym sitting on a bench with my weights and even then, just about got up to go home without lifting a single thing. I was NOT feeling it at all. I had to force myself to get through it. Yesterday was worse than normal, but that was because my energy level was very low.

Again, my focus is on the results. I have not taken my eye off of that. I know what I want to look like, how I want to feel, and I know what I need to do to get there. Sitting on my ass in front of the TV won't do it...only the gym will get me to that point. My motivation is the end result right now. Once I hit it, I'm sure I will be at a point where the desire to maintain will be enough.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

If the feeling is recurring, it could also be possible you suffer from bipolar/depression. I've recently been diagnosed with bipolar (diet and sleeping habits definitely make it worse) and one of the indicators for me of a down phase/depression is that I can not bring myself to do even the simplest tasks. Taking a shower seems as difficult to do as trying to take down the Roman Empire in its prime. Alone. Things like working out can go out the window for periods of time ranging from a few days to a few months. If you do get like that every few weeks or months, you might benefit from seeing a psychiatrist.

But, if its just an off week or stress related, I'd say take a couple days to relax and recuperate, or listen to some music/watch videos that get you pumped and make you feel like a total badass. Then go to the gym and KICK SOME ASS!! Get excited!! Why? Because you are about to get crazy, set personal records, improve your body, your sex life, your normal life, your mood, you are going to do things for yourself. A running quote that kind of applies to anything I try and do goes like this "Just go out there and simultaneously piss in your shorts fart like a foghorn and drink from your mud caked bottle. While your at it let some liquid dribble down your chin onto your shirt, look up at the starry night and laugh like a raving lunatic. Fuck em all, you're doing what you love to do and no one can stop you." -- Michael Musca

So what are you gonna do? Take life easy and safe, or through caution to the wind and do exactly what you want out of life? Your choice, and your choice alone.

If the feeling is recurring, it could also be possible you suffer from bipolar/depression. I've recently been diagnosed with bipolar (diet and sleeping habits definitely make it worse) and one of the indicators for me of a down phase/depression is that I can not bring myself to do even the simplest tasks. Taking a shower seems as difficult to do as trying to take down the Roman Empire in its prime. Alone. Things like working out can go out the window for periods of time ranging from a few days to a few months. If you do get like that every few weeks or months, you might benefit from seeing a psychiatrist.

But, if its just an off week or stress related, I'd say take a couple days to relax and recuperate, or listen to some music/watch videos that get you pumped and make you feel like a total badass. Then go to the gym and KICK SOME ASS!! Get excited!! Why? Because you are about to get crazy, set personal records, improve your body, your sex life, your normal life, your mood, you are going to do things for yourself. A running quote that kind of applies to anything I try and do goes like this "Just go out there and simultaneously piss in your shorts fart like a foghorn and drink from your mud caked bottle. While your at it let some liquid dribble down your chin onto your shirt, look up at the starry night and laugh like a raving lunatic. Fuck em all, you're doing what you love to do and no one can stop you." -- Michael Musca

So what are you gonna do? Take life easy and safe, or through caution to the wind and do exactly what you want out of life? Your choice, and your choice alone.

Awesome advice and inspiration, Thank you!

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!