Forums are back in action! ×

Looking to start a new path but need some help.

I want to start eating healthier and get into better shape. So I have looked into a few different "diets" and have decided I like this place and the Paleo plan. Mainly because it includes all of the foods I already enjoy to eat so I don't feel like I would feel restricted too much.

My issue is that I am the only one in my house that would be eating this way at first. My wife and daughter (she is 5) are very picky about what they eat and don't really like to try new things often. I don't want to press them into eating with me since that would just be an epic fail, but instead I want to start the plan, make my own meals and let them join me when something interests them. Since we are on a limited budget I feel this may present the problem of basically trying to create two seperate grocery budgets that don't over lap well and then it ends up being VERY expensive.

Does anyone have any advice/tips, stories or personal experiences with doing something like this that could help me come up with a successful game plan?

**EDIT**

Well I completely spaced the introduction part of this. O_o 

Basically nothing too complex, witty or well written. I have woken up to realize that I am in my late 20's and highly out of shape. I am a dad and I am sporting a full dad bod, which to me sucks! I don't care if anyone thinks they are "sexy" now because they show a more normal person. I can't keep up with my daught at a park, in the house, and sometimes I can't really reach my toes. 

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!! 

I have lurked on this site for awhile now and it feels like a good home with a lot of like minded people. 

Besdies eating healthier, keeping up with my daughter, and touching my toes I really want to start getting in shape again to do thing I enjoy without dying. Things like hiking, rock climbing, river floats, walking around town, bike riding, etc. (I live in a state with a plethora of state parks, mountians, rivers, lakes so outside it the best!)

Would be easier to help if we knew what they eat. 

Assuming they consume meat and veggies of some sort, great! just get more meat and veggies to fill in the part of your plate that would normally contain the bread and pasta you won't be eating anymore.

If they're vegans who survive on prepackaged cereals, bars, and shakes..... that's a tougher challenge

• Like 1

Sinnah Saint, half-elf, lvl1 Assassin - STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1.86 | CON 2.86 | WIS 2 | CHA 1.38 - Personal Blog

First 6-Week Challenge

I eat completely separate meals from my spouse to this day.  We have wildly different food preferences.  I still buy in bulk, cook multiple servings at once, and freeze food so I can eat it all week, take it to work for lunch, etc.

If you stop buying the processed stuff and load up on the meats/fruits/veggies that you will all consume, you might even save money!

Bulk-buy chicken to save money, also you can't go wrong with frozen veggie steamers for convenience (though it is better to buy fresh, we don't always have time to cook.....).  If your family will get behind the idea of "meat with veggies" as a meal planfor dinners, you can even share the grocery budget.  Steaks are pricey for sure but there are other, cheaper proteins out there...

Maybe start with making one meal a day a "meat and veg" sort of option and work up from there?

• Like 2

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

http://www.thepaleomom.com/has a lot of kid friendly paleo ideas, though I haven't tried many of them. 

When I have people over, I don't tell them about eating paleo, or that I eat weird... I just cook, and most the time they dont notice that anything is missing (i do use rice, potatoes of many types, tarro, and plantain) 

It is easier if all the junk food is just not around, but it's not impossible. My BF does not eat anything like me, has soda in the house, and a lot of foods I should stay away from. I just keep plenty of healthy snacks (especially dark chocolate when I need something sweet) separate from where all the junk is kept. Not that I care that he eats them, but it's harder to resist the sugary candy bar when it's next to a bag of plain nuts. 

Small changes can make a huge difference! If you have time on a weekend, Pre cut up fresh veggies and store them in plastic baggies, that way you can just pull something out and cook super quick. 

Spaghetti sauce can be super easy to make in a slow cooker (a lot of store bought has extra sugar in them) I make "normal" pasta for most ppl over, then I use Pad Thai rice noodles for mine, Or spaghetti squash... lots of options!

Slow cookers are one of my favorite kitchen tools, Throw something in in teh morning, come back to yummy food (chicken soup is another one that is great)

Sorry for the rambling post

• Like 1

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Welcome to the rebellion. Others have given good advice about how to paleo in a relationship. You are doing things in the right order, fixing what you eat will account for 80% of your success in weight loss. What workouts do you plan on trying?

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I eat completely separate meals from my spouse to this day.  We have wildly different food preferences.  I still buy in bulk, cook multiple servings at once, and freeze food so I can eat it all week, take it to work for lunch, etc.

If you stop buying the processed stuff and load up on the meats/fruits/veggies that you will all consume, you might even save money!

Bulk-buy chicken to save money, also you can't go wrong with frozen veggie steamers for convenience (though it is better to buy fresh, we don't always have time to cook.....).  If your family will get behind the idea of "meat with veggies" as a meal planfor dinners, you can even share the grocery budget.  Steaks are pricey for sure but there are other, cheaper proteins out there...

Maybe start with making one meal a day a "meat and veg" sort of option and work up from there?

Thank you for the advice! I am glad to know I am not the only one that is doing a separate meal plan. I really like the idea of precooking and freezing meal. That would make my life so much easier. My daughter is starting to like chicken more (as long as I cut it in to strips) and she loves green beans so a meat/veggie meal is completely possible.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/has a lot of kid friendly paleo ideas, though I haven't tried many of them. 

When I have people over, I don't tell them about eating paleo, or that I eat weird... I just cook, and most the time they dont notice that anything is missing (i do use rice, potatoes of many types, tarro, and plantain) 

It is easier if all the junk food is just not around, but it's not impossible. My BF does not eat anything like me, has soda in the house, and a lot of foods I should stay away from. I just keep plenty of healthy snacks (especially dark chocolate when I need something sweet) separate from where all the junk is kept. Not that I care that he eats them, but it's harder to resist the sugary candy bar when it's next to a bag of plain nuts. 

Small changes can make a huge difference! If you have time on a weekend, Pre cut up fresh veggies and store them in plastic baggies, that way you can just pull something out and cook super quick. 

Spaghetti sauce can be super easy to make in a slow cooker (a lot of store bought has extra sugar in them) I make "normal" pasta for most ppl over, then I use Pad Thai rice noodles for mine, Or spaghetti squash... lots of options!

Slow cookers are one of my favorite kitchen tools, Throw something in in teh morning, come back to yummy food (chicken soup is another one that is great)

Sorry for the rambling post

Awesome site, thank you! Again I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one eating separately. I love my slow cooker so I can tell that thing is going to be my savoir. I plan on not telling my family too much of what I am cooking either until I have them try it. :)

Welcome to the rebellion. Others have given good advice about how to paleo in a relationship. You are doing things in the right order, fixing what you eat will account for 80% of your success in weight loss. What workouts do you plan on trying?

Thank you. I'm glad a I decided to join up. Seems to be a great community. I haven't worked out much at all, and I am wary of gyms. I joined one and hardly went but ended up paying for a full contract term. So I plan on doing a lot of body weight work outs using a school playground by my house and other natural outdoor locations around town. Also I plan on biking a lot more. Like I said I haven't worked out much at all so I wanna start slow and build my self up to American Ninja Warrior status. :)

• Like 2