Forums are back in action! ×

RANT!

I do not like it when people who do not exercise tell me I'm over doing it! Or when people who are over weight tell me I'm being silly with my diet!

You want to have a drink, fine, do it. I like to have a drink too, but I choose when. I'm not being a tee-toatler if I don't want a drink every day. You want to have a chocolate? French fries? Cream & butter mash potatoes? Excellent, those are all delicious, I'm paying attention to what I eat and I don't want that right now so don't try to force it on me or make me feel guilty!

If I make an effort to exercise, its my choice! If I come home and want to go for a run because I have extra energy and don't feel like watching TV or playing video games, then that's by business!

Argh! Try being supportive!

(sorry everyone, you may notice I'm a little angry about this)

in contrast, i hate it when athletic people with other goals than mine tell me i'm exercising wrong and uninformed people tell me with incomplete info & certainty that i'm not eating right...

it pisses me off sometimes, but then maybe they say that to make themselves feel better about where they are because they aren't completely comfortable there. let them stay there, stuck in the mud, snickering to themselves while i look fwd to seeing them in six months when i've placed miles between where they are and where i've advanced to. usually they start asking for advice at that point. best feeling in the world...

show them your determination and results are epic. be true to yourself and others will see it... use it as motivation to never be like them... being the best you every day is your reward...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I agree with both of you. Maybe that just means I don't like being told what to do.

I think my biggest peeve is when people who have no knowledge of the science behind it start lecturing me on how I'm not getting enough nutrients or how I don't need to eat so much "health food". I've spent 4+ years writing papers, reading academic articles, and following studies all surrounding diet and obesity.

Totally with you, Lachy. Before Christmas, when I had been making awesome progress, my boyfriend went out of his way to tell me all about how my favourite kind of biscuit was on sale for dirt cheap an aisle over when we were grocery shopping. I resisted, with difficulty. He proceeded to tease me about it for days. Then during the Christmas season, I felt that I was having alcohol too often - I wasn't really enjoying it all that much and it was a lot of empty calories. I mention this and that I'm going to cut back for a while, he says okay great, and then the first time I turn down a glass of wine jumps on me with "Seriously, is your diet mania going to start affecting our social lives, WTF".

Ungh. For the most part he's totally supportive, and we've both enjoyed weight training together, etc. But sometimes he's totally counterproductive and annoying. I think it's just because I've made such drastic changes to my lifestyle over the last few months.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent my spleen. :P

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

although the people in my life have always been supportive of any health/fitness changes i make, i know that others are not so lucky. depending on the kind of person you are and who the advice comes from (random co-worker or your best friend) you can decide to engage in the discussion or just smile/nod and move along. ultimately, people do it because they aren't comfortable with their own health/fitness and you making positive changes reminds them that they should do the same. "oh, you aren't gonna eat ice cream with us 3 times a week anymore?" in their head = "i eat too much ice cream" but it comes out as "you aren't getting enough calcium."

just keep your eyes on the prize and others will work it out for themselves. also, you could invite them to work out with you. i've found it best to be like "hey, i want to join a gym but i'll get a better deal if a friend joins with me" or something similiar so that it sounds like they're helping you out. or say "i just tried a kickboxing class i think you'd love - you should join me!"

My favorite is when I'm somewhere and eating paleo (this actually even happens at work in the kitchen when im just making chicken and veggies a lot), someone almost always will say "why are you on a diet? you don't need to lose weight!"

It's like - first of all, I've been eating this way for two years and it's not a diet, its a lifestyle.

Second, if I ate like the majority of the world, I WOULD need to be on a diet.

rantover

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
My favorite is when I'm somewhere and eating paleo (this actually even happens at work in the kitchen when im just making chicken and veggies a lot), someone almost always will say "why are you on a diet? you don't need to lose weight!"

It's like - first of all, I've been eating this way for two years and it's not a diet, its a lifestyle.

rantover

Here's my question -- what is so incredibly odd about chicken and veggies? Seems like a pretty normal meal for most people? Hell, some of the frozen dinners I ate for lunch consisted of various forms of chicken and veggies.

Old Battle Log

Here's my question -- what is so incredibly odd about chicken and veggies? Seems like a pretty normal meal for most people? Hell, some of the frozen dinners I ate for lunch consisted of various forms of chicken and veggies.

That's why its so weird! I mean, WHO COOKS THEIR OWN FOOD AMIRITE?

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Ugh. I hear ya -- I'm 5"6", and a basic size 6-8. I hear ALL the time how I don't need to lose weight, how I shouldn't be dieting, how I should let go and live a little. My best friend in the whole wide world (other than my husband) is, in her own words, fat (long story, including sleep apnea, asthma, a catastrophically ill child, etc). Compared to her, no, I don't need to lose weight. But NEED and WANT are two different things. I want to be my best self. And part of that will include treating my body correctly - putting good fuel into it, getting enough sleep, and so on. At any given moment, I might WANT that brownie. Doesn't mean I should give in and have it, and having someone tell me that I don't need to worry about my weight really doesn't help.

Okay, maybe you touched a nerve here - apparently I, too, needed to vent my spleen.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

well see. there's no bread. or starch.

so clearly i'm on atkins.

obviously.

(:))

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Guest guest4729

Sooooo I totally know how you all feel. My boyfriend told me when I first started working out and changing my diet that I don't need to lose weight and that I'm perfect how I am. It took a bit of explaining but I think he now understands that I KNOW that I look good to him but it's about ME and how *I* feel. I want to be healthier, I want to have more energy, I want to be able to do fun things and I want to live the best life I can before I die. It's not just to look better - it's to feel better.

When I tell my friends, though...that's a different story? Why would you want to lose weight? You're crazy for waking up at 6am to go work out! Why would you want to work out 3 times a week? etc. etc. etc. But they're the same people who will turn around and easily say that they're "fat" and "want to lose weight."

/sigh

My boyfriend told me when I first started working out and changing my diet that I don't need to lose weight and that I'm perfect how I am.

This is straight outta Boyfriend Basics 101, Chapter 2: How Not to Start a Fight and End up on the Couch.

Men have been programmed to say these things. Don't feel bad about the misinterpretation :)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Ohhh man. There is so much truth in this thread.

I, too, hate all of the above mentioned things.

I also get bugged at work because I eat a lot more than the other people. I bring in BIG bags of batch cooked food every Monday. I don't get how people eat out all the time. Yuck.

okay.. that's my rant.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

...I think my biggest peeve is when people who have no knowledge of the science behind it start lecturing me on how...

what do you mean cow farts don't cause global warming? ... and they still appointed him speaker of the house of representatives...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Guest guest4729
This is straight outta Boyfriend Basics 101, Chapter 2: How Not to Start a Fight and End up on the Couch.

Men have been programmed to say these things. Don't feel bad about the misinterpretation :)

Not really, unlike most relationships we're VERY truthful with each other and I would never get offended if he told me I needed to lose weight. He told me I looked fine in his eyes but after realizing that I wasn't just being a typical girl whining about "OMG I'M SO FAT U'LL NEVR LUV ME EVRRRR" then he said if it was something I was serious about he was behind me with whatever choices I decided to make or even if I chose not to do it at all. If he wasn't attracted to me at my current weight then we would have never started dating because I haven't gained any weight. :P

Totally with you, Lachy. Before Christmas, when I had been making awesome progress, my boyfriend went out of his way to tell me all about how my favourite kind of biscuit was on sale for dirt cheap an aisle over when we were grocery shopping. I resisted, with difficulty. He proceeded to tease me about it for days. Then during the Christmas season, I felt that I was having alcohol too often - I wasn't really enjoying it all that much and it was a lot of empty calories. I mention this and that I'm going to cut back for a while, he says okay great, and then the first time I turn down a glass of wine jumps on me with "Seriously, is your diet mania going to start affecting our social lives, WTF".

That's exactly how I feel. It frustrates me. And it seems I've struck a chord with a few other nerds.

Maybe we need a rant forum? Or would that bring in a little too much negativity? Probably.

If you don't want unasked for advice from ill-informed people with little actual experience, what are y'all doing living?

:)

and I tend to take my negativity and use it constructively in exercise ... always seem to get a little further along when I'm p*ssed at someone

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

rantover

From some of the posts I've seen you write about your calorie intake (with the working out), tell them to eat the same amount of calories you do in one week with their lifestyle and then come ask if you're on a diet :-)

As for the OP, this is why I still have yet to tell people that I am making these lifestyle changes. They see my body changes, but they don't need to know how it's happening. If I need advice from them, I'll ask....but more than likely, I'll just come here.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I feel this pretty hard. People ask about how I'm losing weight or mention a certain lift or how they got injured on their routine. And when I mention that I'm relatively injury free, have lost weight sustainably without sacrificing energy, what do they say?

"Eh. I'll keep doing it my way."

And I'm like

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1387[/ATTACH]

Swear, y'all. It's like I can feel the Dark Side calling me...

post-2280-13567243271373_thumb.jpg