Forums are back in action! ×

How to make a white man jump?

Yeah, I just referenced a movie from 1992.

One of my year end goals is to be able to dunk a basketball. It's a daunting task considering I am 5' 9", but what good is a goal if you aren't most likely to fail at it?

Either way, anyone have some good plans to increase your vertical. I am already working on increasing strength in all of my compound movements (OH press, bench, squat, deadlift), but I am looking for a bit more.

Any help would be appreciated

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

I'll have to talk to a buddy of mine next time he's actually in the office. He's about your height and trained himself to do it when he was in highschool. I believe it required a ton of leg strengthening through tons of leg presses and the like, but don't quote me yet.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'll have to talk to a buddy of mine next time he's actually in the office. He's about your height and trained himself to do it when he was in highschool. I believe it required a ton of length strengthening through tons of leg presses and the like, but don't quote me yet.

Thanks Corey...that would be awesome

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

The thing is, there's a lot of stuff biomechanically that needs to go on for higher jumps to happen. First get someone to check your jump form. Secondly, you need to be light in order to jump high. The tall guys get away with being heavier because they don't have as high to jump.

Most of your power will come from your hips, and explosiveness. Oly lifts, specifically the clean part, are good at that. I heard calves are pretty important too, somewhere, but don't quote me on that.

Other than that, plyometrics.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

The thing is, there's a lot of stuff biomechanically that needs to go on for higher jumps to happen. First get someone to check your jump form. Secondly, you need to be light in order to jump high. The tall guys get away with being heavier because they don't have as high to jump.

Most of your power will come from your hips, and explosiveness. Oly lifts, specifically the clean part, are good at that. I heard calves are pretty important too, somewhere, but don't quote me on that.

Other than that, plyometrics.

Thanks AJ. I have been doing clean and presses...maybe I will just focus on cleans. I definitely need to get my weight down. I should be about 20 pounds lighter (165-170 instead of 185).

Not sure if your calves comment was tongue in cheek, but the funny thing is that I used to think working my calves was the key to jumping. Then I realized jumping is a full body movement

In high school my 6'7" brother couldn't dunk even though he was very light. His friend was 5'10" and could though. My brother did a LOT of lunges and squats at this kid's instruction, then box jumps and burpees where he would like, try to grab something on the ceiling and really extend upwards. Stretching and having flexibility may have helped him (he thinks). Now he can out-dunk a lot of people...which he should, because he's a giant. Good thing he played hockey and not basketball in college!

Oh god yes flexibility forgot that one; hip mobility is obviously important when hip drive powers the force.

And the calves thing was an honest 'this is something I've heard but c'mon they're just CALVES'. Intuitively, as long as you're not jumping flat footed, calves are not gonna be your weak link.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

My buddy is in today and I asked him, he did the following workouts:

- TONS of squats, coming all the way up to his toes at the top to work the calves more and imitate the jumping movement more

- Box jumps, starting low and eventually getting all the way up to 36" ones

- Calf raises to further work his calves

He would also work on trying to dunk without the basketball whenever he was on the court warming up or whatever. He said it was good because he could see his progress. First his finger tips touched, then lower on the fingers, then parts of the palm, and eventually he was getting his hand over the rim.

Also, can you palm the ball? If not, you'll have to jump much higher since you'll have to do a 2 handed dunk. My wife's aunt was one of the better players in college basketball during her time and although she could reach the rim, she could never dunk because she couldn't palm the ball and never cared about it enough to try to focus efforts on increasing her vert that much more.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

When I played in high school, which feels like forever ago, we had this machine that we all worked on religiously called a Super Cat, but I can't accurately describe what it is. Essentially its weighted jumping, and that worked wonders for everyone on our team. We used jumpsoles too, but those were a gimmick, at least in my experience. Box jumps and plyometrics are great, though, as is the tip about jumping to touch the rim for progress. I could pull down a rim in high school at 5'11, but never could dunk... Damned weak palms...

I love this goal!!!! I'm 6'3 and played basketball throughout highschool. I could only jump and hold on to the rim. My brother could dunk (same height, but lighter). I never had a big desire to dunk so I never trained to do so; however, all the advice I've seen given is great!

Also, watch a lot of old videos of Spud Webb :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

He also doesn't list glute-ham raises as a useful calf training exercise.

From the article:

To get bigger calves without having to resort to bodybuilding techniques and wreck your athleticism there a few things you can do:

• Eat enough to gain weight

• Do a ton of sprinting and change of direction type stuff

• Do plyos

• Jump rope regularly

• Do a lot of single leg hops and jumps

• Do some weighted box jumps (with a vest or holding dumbbells)

• Do jump squats

• Do squats and glute ham raises

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...