Forums are back in action! ×

Interesting Facts that Everyone Should Know

Guest guest4729

Guest guest4729

So, when I get bored I like to read about random things since I always love learning. Being in a community full of other nerds, I feel like other people can probably relate. I know A LOT of random facts about nothing (and some about something) and love to share them when I can.

I figured that since other people like to learn that maybe we could all share some random facts that we know? Maybe you know something super cool about the author of a book or something interesting about a company or some strange fact about China. I don't care WHAT it is, I'd just like to know what's floating around in your mind. Perhaps you think it's useless, but I think it's interesting. :)

My random facts that I can think of right now:

• China is slowly becoming a desert due to overpopulation and overuse of land. Because they're over-farming it's causing the soil to erode and turn into sand. That and they're also getting a long of sand from Mongolia and the countries in the west that blows in.
  • India has a lot of issues with air pollution. Some people say it's as bad as smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day. On that note, they also receive a lot of acid rain because the Himalayas block a lot of the clouds/pollution from leaving the country.
  • "Sweating like a pig" is a silly phrase because pigs don't actually sweat.
  • To cover up scars from acne or small pox, women use to use beeswax to hide their imperfections.
  • U.S. pennies cost 2 cents to make.
  • Some identifying factors for real U.S. paper money: small red and blue fibers, color changing ink (newer bills), security strip, watermark portrait.
  • You can start a fire by using a chocolate bar and a soda can. Use the chocolate bar to polish the bottom of the soda can until it's reflective. Then use it to harness the sun's rays to help start your fire. (Also posted this in that thread about camping. Hehe.)
  • Most people don't know that aluminum foil and saran wrap containers have little push tabs on the sides to keep the roll in it's packaging to make it easier to rip off.

So, what are some random facts that YOU want to share? :D

Off the top of my head: if you get deodorant on your clothing use a stocking and rub at it. It'll come right out. Most people go for water and soap, that doesn't help unless it's in the wash.

Now I'll be thinking about this...

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

HAHAHAHA NSFW but funny... next time I commit a crime I am so bringing a koala!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Random useless facts presented for all the men out there:

http://factsandchicks.com/

That is awesome. I love having an iphone at work.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The first video ever played on MTV (remember when they played videos?) was "Video Killed the Radio Star."

Murphy's Law was not first identified by Murphy, but by another person with the same name. ;-) (sorry, couldn't resist).

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

A dollar bill (or a ten or a twenty) is 1.5" wide and 6" long. So you can measure any combination of 1.5 with what maybe in your wallet or your friend's wallet.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

*Ahem*

Those are not facts. Those are statements coming from poorly interpreted studies.

*Ahem*

I think you missed the point of the site :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

One of my favorite sources of "facts" are the great and well revered tomes of the Bathroom Reader!

Random fact...cat urine glows under a black light. My work here is done...:)

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

One of my favorite sources of "facts" are the great and well revered tomes of the Bathroom Reader!

Yes!! Uncle John's Bathroom Readers!! Love those books!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest guest4729

Did you know that scorpions also glow under black light? Don't know why. Nor do I know what cat pee, semen and scorpions have in common that make them glow under black light. o__O

Did you know that (American Maine) lobsters grow about a pound every 7 years?

And that (American Maine) lobsters can grow up to be 40 pounds?

The original rabies vaccine came from infected rabbits and their dried nerve tissues.

The flu vaccine is different every year because viruses change and evolve. It's never the same thing each year.

Most people know dogs by breeds but cats are just...cats. If you ask a person to name a dog by it's breed, most can give a pretty good specific answer. If you ask someone what kind of cat a random cat is...well...you're SOL.

Christopher Columbus was actual a dickhead and NOT the first person on American soil.

European settlers killed off a lot of Native Americans by using blankets that had been used on people with smallpox. They often gave the blankets as "gifts."

America was possibly named after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci.

That's all I can randomly come up with right now.

From a young age my parent brought a copy of 'Uncle Johns bathroom reader' every year from the US. Awesome book for those personal moments, and educational aswell!

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon

What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place?

What if to get to heaven you have to brave hell?

What if everything you ever wanted, cost all you ever achieved?

Would you go there?

Medieval swords tended to weigh around 3 lbs.

European warriors trained in martial arts to a level equivalent to their East Asian counterparts. However, the slow addition of firearms to the battlefield eroded this training and knowledge until it could only be found being trained as a sport: Olympic fencing. The very late addition of firearms in East Asia allowed unbroken chain of students and masters to keep their arts alive (in this case, the Templar would be equivalent to the Shaolin, and that carried out on the battlefield, Templars would not engage until outnumbered 3-1, otherwise it wouldn't be fair to their opponent).

Well made European armor has a full range of motion and it is perfectly possible to do calisthenics, if you're fit enough.

Guest guest4729
To hypnotize a rabbit, flip it on it's back and cover its eyes.

The handle of a scythe is called a 'snath'.

On a tour of the US during the prohibition era, Winston Churchill lauded his son for a chief talent: procuring alcohol in every state which they visited.

Dunning-Kruger Effect. Explains most of what is wrong in the world.

That last one is especially interesting! I find psychology fascinating! Reminds me of the Bystander Effect and the Stanford Prison Experiment. Soooo interesting.

Guest Snake McClain

Hippos kill more humans each year than sharks.

Only one person has ever been recorded as being killed by a meteor.

Question: about the chocolate bar and soda can. I rub the chocolate itself on the can? or the wrapper?

Guest guest4729
Hippos kill more humans each year than sharks.

Only one person has ever been recorded as being killed by a meteor.

Question: about the chocolate bar and soda can. I rub the chocolate itself on the can? or the wrapper?

You rub the chocolate bar itself on the can. Lemme find a link... click me!

That one also tells you to clean it off with a cloth, but clearly you can use your clothing or something creative.

Guest Snake McClain
You rub the chocolate bar itself on the can. Lemme find a link... click me!

That one also tells you to clean it off with a cloth, but clearly you can use your clothing or something creative.

this is awesome. i will now carry a pepsi and a snickers with me everywhere i go. just in case.