Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Why, the internets are filled with onlookers, dear sir. See how they surround us.

He's right, I'm standing right behind him as we speak! O_o

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Having fun is the essence of awesome. The day we start being serious, we may as well shut down the forum and stuff ourselves with chocolate.

Mental picture = joker, only chocolate smeared in the smile instead of... lipstick? dried blood? you get the idea.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
Having fun is the essence of awesome. The day we start being serious, we may as well shut down the forum and stuff ourselves with chocolate.

truth

Guest Snake McClain

It appears that the creation of and the demise of the men's guild has killed our Men's Only thread. This really makes me sad. The content coming through since has been very limited and practically non existent.

I'm carrying the banner to get this thread going again with more manly topics.

I've discussed elsewhere but we can talk about it here as well and I guess I'll just discuss some stuff that is actually on my mind as a dude.

So i feel like my chest is severely underdeveloped. I wouldn't mind maintaining my current level of bf% IF my chest and back muscles were bigger. but I feel like I'm not getting any improvement and this makes me sad. especially when i see all thes other dudes at the gym or in wrestling or even at a restaurant looking all awesome. All this has lead me to question my ability to improve lately which is really sort of eating at me on the inside a bit. And I have noticed that this insecurity with how I look compared to some other "more manly" guys is starting to effect my desire to train (which should never happen!). So i'd like to ask you guys how you deal with your insecurity when comparing how you look to other guys? do you even? Is it just me (i know it isnt)?

What is an acceptable way to deal with this without getting frustrated and wanting to give up?

Guest Snake McClain
I take solace in the fact that many of the large-chested dudes at my gym have chicken legs. YMMV. But I'm with you on frustrating upper body gains, I can still barely bench 100 lbs and its just not increasing. And I still can't do pushups. Quite frustrating.

agreed on the chicken legs. my calves aren't super big at all but they are better than a lot of guys. i've been putting some focus on calf work. barbell with 225lbs in hand and start doing calf raises.

It appears that the creation of and the demise of the men's guild has killed our Men's Only thread. This really makes me sad. The content coming through since has been very limited and practically non existent.

I'm carrying the banner to get this thread going again with more manly topics.

This thread will never die! We need to keep it alive to get to 9000 posts!

So i feel like my chest is severely underdeveloped. I wouldn't mind maintaining my current level of bf% IF my chest and back muscles were bigger. but I feel like I'm not getting any improvement and this makes me sad. especially when i see all thes other dudes at the gym or in wrestling or even at a restaurant looking all awesome. All this has lead me to question my ability to improve lately which is really sort of eating at me on the inside a bit. And I have noticed that this insecurity with how I look compared to some other "more manly" guys is starting to effect my desire to train (which should never happen!). So i'd like to ask you guys how you deal with your insecurity when comparing how you look to other guys? do you even? Is it just me (i know it isnt)?

What is an acceptable way to deal with this without getting frustrated and wanting to give up?

Bruce, I completely understand, and no, you are not alone in your insecurities when comparing yourself to the bodies of other men. For me, it also doesn't help that many of my female friends (who are soooooo very attractive) are attracted to the upper body muscular, metrosexual, shave every hair on their body, douche bags of the world. I know it shouldn't really get to me, but it does. I want to see my abs, I want the big chest and biceps, and I'm working to get there, but at the same time, I'm working my entire body and putting the focus on everything.

With that said, I've see your pics and have seen big changes. Again, the "chest is severely underdeveloped" is in your head and how you view yourself. I, in ALL honesty, don't see it in your pics. You may feel you have stalled, you may need to eat more and push harder to feel better about yourself, and for that, I say go for it! BUT....whatever you do, DO NOT let the frustrations get you to the point of giving up. When that happens, those frustrations will turn into much more.....regret, anger, depression, you name it.

I started working out and eating better last July/August time frame when one of those female friends of mine made a comment that she, to this day, has no idea the impact it had on me. It was not at all negative towards me or the way I look, but opened my eyes to a good bit. My aim was to cut down to about 200-210, then build muscle back up to 225+. That plan is still in progress with a few modifications. I am probably down to around 225 right now, but have put on a decent amount of muscle because of lifting heavy. Of course, when I look in the mirror, I still see gut that needs to come off, the love handles that are still there, and more fat under the chin that needs to go....but, I also see where I have dropped ~30+ lbs of fat and replaced a good portion with muscle. I know it is a slow journey for me, but damn if I'm gonna quit or give up because of the way some other guy looks.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Snake McClain
This thread will never die! We need to keep it alive to get to 9000 posts!

Bruce, I completely understand, and no, you are not alone in your insecurities when comparing yourself to the bodies of other men. For me, it also doesn't help that many of my female friends (who are soooooo very attractive) are attracted to the upper body muscular, metrosexual, shave every hair on their body, douche bags of the world. I know it shouldn't really get to me, but it does. I want to see my abs, I want the big chest and biceps, and I'm working to get there, but at the same time, I'm working my entire body and putting the focus on everything.

With that said, I've see your pics and have seen big changes. Again, the "chest is severely underdeveloped" is in your head and how you view yourself. I, in ALL honesty, don't see it in your pics. You may feel you have stalled, you may need to eat more and push harder to feel better about yourself, and for that, I say go for it! BUT....whatever you do, DO NOT let the frustrations get you to the point of giving up. When that happens, those frustrations will turn into much more.....regret, anger, depression, you name it.

I started working out and eating better last July/August time frame when one of those female friends of mine made a comment that she, to this day, has no idea the impact it had on me. It was not at all negative towards me or the way I look, but opened my eyes to a good bit. My aim was to cut down to about 200-210, then build muscle back up to 225+. That plan is still in progress with a few modifications. I am probably down to around 225 right now, but have put on a decent amount of muscle because of lifting heavy. Of course, when I look in the mirror, I still see gut that needs to come off, the love handles that are still there, and more fat under the chin that needs to go....but, I also see where I have dropped ~30+ lbs of fat and replaced a good portion with muscle. I know it is a slow journey for me, but damn if I'm gonna quit or give up because of the way some other guy looks.

It isn't that i want to quit or give up because of how they look. but it's because I can't seem to get there. it's just really frustrating. Like...i've never been the best at anything and i want to feel like i'm the best at this for me. I know that's ridiculous and i can't explain it but..you're right. I've seen changes. definitely. but I just sort of thought things would be different by now. Half a year has passed and Although progress has been made I feel like it isn't enough. Like...realistically i see the progress others have made in the same amount of time and theirs trumps mine in spades.

Like there is some secret I can't find the answer to that is keeping me from having exactly what I'm looking for.

Curious....if you don't mind me asking what was that comment that the lady friend made?

And i know that I'm sort of a "pretty boy" but i'm not metro (except maybe with my hair). i wish i could grow a rockin beard and pull off the look some of the more rugged types do. So i'm with you there. the surfer boy types (and no offense to anyone reading this that is of that ilk) make me mad. but i bet they are mad flexible in comparison to me (i'm referring to more the models and such).

It isn't that i want to quit or give up because of how they look. but it's because I can't seem to get there. it's just really frustrating. Like...i've never been the best at anything and i want to feel like i'm the best at this for me. I know that's ridiculous and i can't explain it but..you're right. I've seen changes. definitely. but I just sort of thought things would be different by now. Half a year has passed and Although progress has been made I feel like it isn't enough. Like...realistically i see the progress others have made in the same amount of time and theirs trumps mine in spades.

Like there is some secret I can't find the answer to that is keeping me from having exactly what I'm looking for.

Curious....if you don't mind me asking what was that comment that the lady friend made?

And i know that I'm sort of a "pretty boy" but i'm not metro (except maybe with my hair). i wish i could grow a rockin beard and pull off the look some of the more rugged types do. So i'm with you there. the surfer boy types (and no offense to anyone reading this that is of that ilk) make me mad. but i bet they are mad flexible in comparison to me (i'm referring to more the models and such).

A big part of it might just be the way you train, Bruce. From what I've seen of your logs, etc over the past year or so, you seem to be training for strength, which is great, but doesn't necessarily mean you're going to develop a more defined chest. If appearance is important to you (and I can totally understand, especially in your line of work, that it would be), then maybe it might be worth supplementing your training with some more body-building style exercises specifically for this purpose. As to what these exercises are, I'm not sure, but chest definition seems to be one of the main goals in this arena, so it may be worth a look?

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)