Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

AoM is one of the staples of my RSS reader. Good old world wisdom.

ditto here. One of the most touching articles for me was the "what was in your pockets" discussion with the link into what your father carried. I can tell you exactly what my Dad had in his pockets, and it is remarkably similar to what I have in mine. (I double checked with my brothers and we all agree on Dad's pockets).

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Hefe: Weihenstaphaner

Pale Ale: Dale's

IPA: Hopsecutioner or Stone

Trappist: Konningshoven

Stout: Old Radputin

Porter: Innis and Gunn

Your turn.

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

Hefe: Weihenstaphaner, it really is in a league of its own. Don't care for the style too much though.

Pale Ale: Don't care for it (too hoppy)

IPA: Repulsive. I can at times tolerate them, but never think that they are good

Trappist: Though not "true" trappist ales and just fakes, I do like Ommegang beers very much. 3 Philosophers is an epic brew. I've had each of the true Trappist Ales (went through a kick in my early 20's), but haven't had any but Chimay in a long time.

Stout: Guinness 250th (can't get it anymore :(...), Sam Smith Oatmeal stout for stuff in a stores, Town Hall Black H2O is my all time favorite beer (brewpub in Minneapolis)

Porter: Anchor (love this stuff, I used to really love Bert Grant's, but they went out of business years ago). Also really like, gosh forget the name of it, the easiest to find one from Poland.

Pilsner: Pilsner Urquell, for how much this style is copied, everybody basically fails

Dopplebock - Augustinerbrau Maximator, ZOMG is this stuff good

Light Lager - Michelob Original, after the changed the formula a few years back, actually making beer instead of a beer-like malted beverage largely made of rice, I love the stuff

Octoberfest - Bells. I like Paulaner the best of the imported stuff, and do love Sam Adams version as well as Becks, but Bells is my favorite.

Scotch Ale - Tie, between Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Ale and J.W. Lees Harvest Ale. I do like Old Chub a lot too.

I actually used to like hoppy beer when younger and have made a few IPA's and Pale Ales, as I got older I just started to dislike overly hoppy beers, nowadays preferring the malty ones.

I've got some Sam Adams Alpine Spring (tried one last night, really good), and Pilsner Urquell for the big game tonight.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Guest Snake McClain
I'm just curious. I think it's a great website, and this thread made me think about it. AoM makes me ponder what it truly means to be a man. Masculinity is an interesting abstract that changes over time, and I think it's fun to think about. Suppose I'm wondering if anyone else thinks about it as often as I do.

I think about it all the time. What it even means to be a man. I'm learning I don't like women much anymore as they always lie to me. Even my mother. So my opinion is sort of screwy. I just try to be nice with everything I do. Try (key word is try) to be confident in everything I do. Improve myself and be the best me I can. Stand up for myself. That's what being a man is to me. And protecting and doin what's right fir my pack.

I've trawled through the AoM archives ever since i started reading it a year ago. They put an excellent set of articles up and enjoy it tremendously.

One quote i will remember for a long long time is:

Male by Birth. MAN by choice.

You're born with a male body. But its your heart and your mental attitude that actually makes you a man. Another AoM Manvotional had within it the topics of "true manliness": honour, courage, hard work etc compared to "False manliness": smoking, drunkenness, violence etc, the vices that kids (or males) put on in order to feel like a man.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Guest Snake McClain
I've trawled through the AoM archives ever since i started reading it a year ago. They put an excellent set of articles up and enjoy it tremendously.

One quote i will remember for a long long time is:

Male by Birth. MAN by choice.

You'd

born with a male body. But its your heart and your mental attitude that actually makes you a man. Another AoM Manvotional had within it the topics of "true manliness": honour, courage, hard work etc compared to "False manliness": smoking, drunkenness, violence etc, the vices that kids (or males) put on in order to feel like a man.

I agree. 100%.

I think about it all the time. What it even means to be a man. I'm learning I don't like women much anymore as they always lie to me. Even my mother. So my opinion is sort of screwy. I just try to be nice with everything I do. Try (key word is try) to be confident in everything I do. Improve myself and be the best me I can. Stand up for myself. That's what being a man is to me. And protecting and doin what's right fir my pack.

I've been screwed over by women, too. However, I've also been screwed over by males. I don't think it's a gender thing. I think screwing people over is a quality that people develop in a society where people will do anything to get the upper hand, which I believe to be ultimately pointless...because life is ultimately pointless, but that's an entirely different discussion!

I try to do the same thing as you - carry myself with confidence and be kind. I really look up to this guy:

goku.jpg

Powerful, confident, driven, genuine, and ultimately compassionate.

BEER TALK!

I'm only 22 so I'm still exploring the limitless possibilities provided by booze. I prefer light beers for the most part, but every once in a while I like a nice stout, especially in the context of an Irish car bomb.

My favorite brews are Land Shark, Stella, 90 Shilling, and Left Hand's Sawtooth - all light, good for sipping or for chugging. As far as hard liquors go, I favor whiskey, bourbon, and unflavored vodka. I got some Crystal Skull vodka for Christmas, and it's simply the best vodka I've ever tasted. Goes down like water, which could be good or bad depending on the situation!

Valar Morghulis
Guest Snake McClain
I've been screwed over by women, too. However, I've also been screwed over by males. I don't think it's a gender thing. I think screwing people over is a quality that people develop in a society where people will do anything to get the upper hand, which I believe to be ultimately pointless...because life is ultimately pointless, but that's an entirely different discussion!

I try to do the same thing as you - carry myself with confidence and be kind. I really look up to this guy:

goku.jpg

Powerful, confident, driven, genuine, and ultimately compassionate!

Someone needs to write a guest post on why we should be like Goku.

Been away from this thread for a bit, catch up time!

My wife actually spotted gray hair in my beard the other day, the first of such hairs yet spotted on either of us. I feel like I'm a bit young for that yet (33), but I guess not.

I am 26 and I have a few, same with my wife (also 26). I think we started spotting them about 2 years ago.

Ah you must be one of those fabled Irish-Mexicans.

I have an Aunt that's one of those. The woman can drink!

Huh. A couple of weeks ago, a group of older ladys (all around 30-40 ~) envited me to join their jogging or workout group after they saw me dragging a tree trunk up a hill. They are pretty funny and nice and they seem to like me. Up til now I thought nothing of it. But now...

ryan_reynolds_gaylook.gif

Gigity

Well, this makes me never want to post on this forum again. I'm done after this post, so ban me for being an ass if you want. But between that and the person above bragging about causing a storm by telling women they don't know what they want... wow. My fault for coming into the men only thread, I guess, but I suppose I expected the men only thread's discussion to be intelligent. Oh wait, we now live in a world where women are superior and men are all idiots! I totally forgot the patriarchy doesn't exist anymore. BRB, waiting for my mythical biological clock to catch up so I can start making babies like a proper woman. I wasn't aware the menfolk don't like it when I don't care about having a family. My bad.

This_is_seth, thank you for giving me hope for humanity.

A few offhanded men's opinions makes you snub a whole community?

I say us manly-nerd-men should sow the wild oats and hope our offspring bring humanity a better tomorrow.

Just gotta convince the wife...

Is there a way out without offending two of them? (I might be able to let one down and the other never know about the others because the one blowing up my phone is under 21 and the other two are over. Maybe? I think? Help!) HELP!

Out? You want out? Play the game my friend. Play it for those of us who never had the chance!

edit:edit: Also, Atalan, a saying about certain gardening tools in multiple locations comes to mind.

edit: lost a quote tag in there somewhere.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, all decision making stopped for me in terms of alchohol when I went all nerd on the budget factor.

Thus, my drink of choice is now Holstein Maibock, for the simple reasoning of

a) it doesn't taste like shit

B) gives me the HIGHEST alcohol per dollar factor; however YMMV, as I live in the alcohol oppressed ontarion, canada :( Our beers cost less in the states as imports than they do locally...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Yeah, all decision making stopped for me in terms of alchohol when I went all nerd on the budget factor.

Thus, my drink of choice is now Holstein Maibock, for the simple reasoning of

a) it doesn't taste like shit

B) gives me the HIGHEST alcohol per dollar factor; however YMMV, as I live in the alcohol oppressed ontarion, canada :( Our beers cost less in the states as imports than they do locally...

Here

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I don't drink much (as in 5 or less drinks per year on average, occasional bender excepted). That said, I gotta weigh in on this:

1) Crystal Head Vodka. There's just something awesome about hauling a glass skull out of your freezer, dumping some of its contents into a glass, and then dumping the contents of that glass straight into your mouth. By comparison, Grey Goose sucks, IMO.

2) Beer. There can be only one, and that is Guiness.

Guest Snake McClain
2) Beer. There can be only one, and that is Guiness.

I agree completely 100%. it is the end all be all of Man beer for me. I feel like a raw power filled caveman when I'm drinking it and buff whilst everyone else is on Hieniken and miller lite (BARRRFFFF) and out of shape. I just feel like a man when i drink it. Every see someone with a guiness not havin a good time? Yeah me either. Guiness is like having a beard. only two kinds of people don't have them. women and children. i'm a man and i have guiness (but my beard comes in all patchy).

Someone's been trying to for a long time, but I can't seem to write anything shorter than a novel! There's simply too much to say!

When you get knocked down you come back stronger than ever!

Positive Attitude!

Train like you have a destiny to fulfill!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Guest Snake McClain
What if you found an outside editor to keep the brevity of the writing?

GREAT IDEA! Seriously we should make this happen for you, bub. *snikt* I want to see this. (note: that i know nothing about dragonball except a few character names so this would be an educational piece)

That would never make it across the border :P

I limited my terms to things I can find at the local-government-controlled liquor store. I was actually surprised to find the winner of alcohol per dollar to be a beer and not hard liquor. That being said, over-proof rum came in at a close second :)

Also; I do not enjoy vodka in the slightest, unless it reminds me of the rivers of blood that ran the day caesar died. We (as in my friends and I) made skittle vodka, but I won't even go there.

As a warning to others, just because it tastes sweet and delicious does NOT mean it won't knock you on your arse.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain

I limited my terms to things I can find at the local-government-controlled liquor store. I was actually surprised to find the winner of alcohol per dollar to be a beer and not hard liquor. That being said, over-proof rum came in at a close second :)

Also; I do not enjoy vodka in the slightest, unless it reminds me of the rivers of blood that ran the day caesar died. We (as in my friends and I) made skittle vodka, but I won't even go there.

As a warning to others, just because it tastes sweet and delicious does NOT mean it won't knock you on your arse.

SKITTLE VODKA!?!?! sounds delicious.

Oh god, skittle vodka. We've made it so many times. Yes, it knocks you out. The onyl vodka concoction I've found better is a 2 liter of sprite, a handle of vodka (1.75 liters), and 4 packets of crystal lite lemonade mix. It tastes like lemonade but is over 50% vodka. We drank it by the solo cup one night. Yeah, bad news bears...

500 / 330 / 625

As for AoM...staple in my RSS feeds as well! Only been following it for a few months.

As for alcohol, I love my rum and whiskey!

Rum: Pyrat

Whiskey: go to is Jack, I like ryes like Bullet...Elijah Craig is another one I favor. And if I want to spend a bit more, Gentleman Jack or Single Barrel.

Beer:

Go to cheap one: Yuengling

Trappist: Orval

With Pizza: Sam Adams

Go to "bit more than cheap" drafts: Magic Hat, Dogfish Head 60 Min

Floating down a river on a tube: Corona

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Every summer I venture out to the wilds of Pennsylvania (okay, a campsite) for a week long LARP event Ragnarok. At this event I have encountered an amazing variety of mixed drinks that will knock you on your ass, including: Goblin Spit (a drink with chunks of kiwi floating in it), Sap of the Lifetree (citron vodka, coconut rum and lime concentrate), Green Dragon (a drink of undisclosed ingredients that requires a specific breathing pattern to consume), Drunken Astronaut (make Tang, substituting everclear for water), and Zombone (I don't know how to make it, I just know it's delicious and is one of the few mixed drinks I've encountered that you can start a fire with).

So yeah, even if you can't taste the alcohol (there is a game among the legal-aged that is played called 'hide the Everclear') it could be high alcoholic.

Can't beat tunics-and-swords for bringing out the booze. The vilest, though, has to be the Spearman's Lament, from Viking re-enactment we used to do. Half rough scrumpy, half rough mead, and a spring onion. Umbrellas optional. Shield-biting not. :)

My group is primarily spear users. I'll have to make this for them at Ides of March.