Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Yup, out of black honey I got from a local apiary, Hilltop Farms. It was rock-solid honey, wasn't good for much except baking, so I turned most of it into mead.

Right on! I recently found a recipe but I can't be buggered to wait a year on it. It's like, I can't keep making the stuff until I know it's good, so I got a wait a year to try it, and then if it's delicious I'll run out and have to wait a year.

My wife's family is big on home-brew, so we just added it to theirs. They've usually got 10 gallons of wine and 10 gallons of beer going at any given time. Most of the 'experimental' wines turned out bad enough to eat through lead, but the mead always turned out great. Only problem is it doesn't make a LOT since we haven't had a line on cheap, cheap honey for a while.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I love the fact that AoM has been referenced a bit in this thread. That site's been a guiding light for me. It's nice to know that it has some followers here on NF, as well.

"Oh while I live, to be the ruler of life, not a slave, to meet life as a powerful conqueror, and nothing exterior to me will ever take command of me." - Walt Whitman

Wake up...

!

okay...all this mead talk is making me want to make and try some....

Been thinking about brewing up a batch myself. Actually I think I am going to get 2 smaller carboys. Just for times where I am not sure how something will turn out so I don't want to be stuck with 5 gal of something I don't like. I can justify pouring a gallon of something into the compost pile outside, 5 gallons has to be drank.

I love the fact that AoM has been referenced a bit in this thread. That site's been a guiding light for me. It's nice to know that it has some followers here on NF' date=' as well.[/quote']

I actually was an AoM'er before an NF'er. I found NF through links on AoM.

Speaking of AoM, one of the recent articles is a MUST read. Extremely insightful and wise:

Freedom From... Freedom To

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

Well after this catastrophe with the single (but not really single) mom, i ended up talking to an old friend. we are going out tomorrow night for a sort of super casual yet still valentines date. It was that easy. We talked. just as friends. and then she said sort of was complaining about dating crappy guys. so i said well maybe you should go out with me. So we are. that easy. Once again it shows that if a woman is interested no matter what her circumstances (and believe me this is a busy woman who owns 2 buisness of her own and is an architect) she will make time. Proving yet again single mom was just fucking around.

Hey guys... pretty new to the site, and brand new to the thread. I know this discussion is *way* out of date now, but as a guy who's dated a few moms, I hope you won't mind if I disagree on a couple of things.

I would be a little easier on this woman. I don't think she was 'just fucking around', I think she's probably just messed up. Breaking up with the person that you had a child with is an incredibly confusing and difficult thing to deal with. She's obviously not dealing with it well. It doesn't sound like she's *trying* to mess you up, or she would have said a lot of different things. That said, when you asked her if she was still into him (paraphrasing) and she didn't give you a strong "Hell no!" then it's time to back away. You would be rebound guy. Some guy is probably going to have to be rebound guy, but no reason why it should be you.

I also see a lot of comments about how mothers look at men differently, gauging on whether they'd be a good dad, general character, etc. Now, this is definitely the way it *should* be, but it often isn't. A lot of women are so confused about relationships at that point that they'll jump into something really bad for them. Or, as has happened with me more than once, they'll see that you're a stand-up guy, great dad material, and figure that's enough. They fall hard, except down the road they figure out there's more to a healthy relationship than just that. Of course, you've *gotta* treat moms with the ultimate respect, but you've also got to take it *extremely* slow, even when there's a lot of pressure to do the opposite.

Guest Snake McClain
I love the fact that AoM has been referenced a bit in this thread. That site's been a guiding light for me. It's nice to know that it has some followers here on NF' date=' as well.[/quote']

Art of manliness "do more than one stinkin' pullup" is what lead me here. i love that site. some of the stuff I don't feel completely applies to me but the site has been a great tool for making me a better man. All my relationships have improved because of AoM.

Been thinking about brewing up a batch myself. Actually I think I am going to get 2 smaller carboys. Just for times where I am not sure how something will turn out so I don't want to be stuck with 5 gal of something I don't like. I can justify pouring a gallon of something into the compost pile outside, 5 gallons has to be drank.

I agree. This is hard to justify. However....I might try it anyway. I have no idea how this stuff tastes. or really what it is. *rorschach voice* Must investigate further. Any good links on this?

Hey guys... pretty new to the site, and brand new to the thread. I know this discussion is *way* out of date now, but as a guy who's dated a few moms, I hope you won't mind if I disagree on a couple of things.

I would be a little easier on this woman. I don't think she was 'just fucking around', I think she's probably just messed up. Breaking up with the person that you had a child with is an incredibly confusing and difficult thing to deal with. She's obviously not dealing with it well. It doesn't sound like she's *trying* to mess you up, or she would have said a lot of different things. That said, when you asked her if she was still into him (paraphrasing) and she didn't give you a strong "Hell no!" then it's time to back away. You would be rebound guy. Some guy is probably going to have to be rebound guy, but no reason why it should be you.

I also see a lot of comments about how mothers look at men differently, gauging on whether they'd be a good dad, general character, etc. Now, this is definitely the way it *should* be, but it often isn't. A lot of women are so confused about relationships at that point that they'll jump into something really bad for them. Or, as has happened with me more than once, they'll see that you're a stand-up guy, great dad material, and figure that's enough. They fall hard, except down the road they figure out there's more to a healthy relationship than just that. Of course, you've *gotta* treat moms with the ultimate respect, but you've also got to take it *extremely* slow, even when there's a lot of pressure to do the opposite.

I actually found out she was sort of messing around with a bunch of other guys at the same time. one of my friends says she went out and was all over a bunch of guys at a club with him and some other friends which is okay if she wants to do that but it's not my type of lady so i passed and moved on. I agree about moving slow with a mom. I get that for sure. But the things this girl was saying and what she was doing were completely opposite.

I agree. This is hard to justify. However....I might try it anyway. I have no idea how this stuff tastes. or really what it is. *rorschach voice* Must investigate further. Any good links on this?

I would say you probably want to buy a bottle and see if it's worth the trouble first. I have no idea what's available where you are, but any place that has a decent wine selection probably has some.

I actually found out she was sort of messing around with a bunch of other guys at the same time. one of my friends says she went out and was all over a bunch of guys at a club with him and some other friends which is okay if she wants to do that but it's not my type of lady so i passed and moved on. I agree about moving slow with a mom. I get that for sure. But the things this girl was saying and what she was doing were completely opposite.

Ah. Yeah, that is a different story. Heaven knows there are a bunch of strange people out there, on both sides of the gender barrier. It freaks me out when I hear about a mom or a dad like that, but what can you do? Not really that surprising that kids get screwed up, huh?

Art of manliness "do more than one stinkin' pullup" is what lead me here.

Same here, I think? Either than or Steve's post on rediscovering your passion for exercise.

I have no idea how this stuff tastes. or really what it is.

It tastes like honey. Therefore, gross. I'm a fan of honey when it's a flavoring (of the honey nut cheerio variety), but not the guest of honor. When I first tried mead I sipped it then my face scrunched up, saying "ew, it tastes like honey!". I'll never forget the "well, duh" look I got from the medieval studies PhD student who gave me the sip. Lesson learned.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

LOL @ young single guys

Amazing how it changes over the years and how the discussion disappears (aside for comedians). The art of getting some -> the art of doing it better than anybody else -> the art of getting the wife to put out....

also the discussion of tennis elbow, carpal tunnel and streaming bandwidth issues...

...just sayin'...

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Guest Snake McClain

It tastes like honey. Therefore, gross. I'm a fan of honey when it's a flavoring (of the honey nut cheerio variety), but not the guest of honor. When I first tried mead I sipped it then my face scrunched up, saying "ew, it tastes like honey!". I'll never forget the "well, duh" look I got from the medieval studies PhD student who gave me the sip. Lesson learned.

i love honey. i wonder if there is a way to make a peanut butter, jelly and honey mead. MMM!

Wow!! What an epic accomplishment.. I read this thread from 0 to here all in one morning!!! I've had so many opinions on so many different things throughout this journey that now I have no idea what to say :-P

I'm relatively new to NF, so gimme a little while to get comfortable in these surroundings. Then I'm sure I'll chime in on every topic!

You could try a Dry Mead, it's less honey and more boozahol. Honey Run Winery makes one called "Ragnar's Dry" that's not very sweet at all.

While on the topic of mead, homebrews, etc; I've always wanted to try a hard cider after watching this old SYSTM video awhile back ( http://revision3.com/systm/distillation ). Has anyone ever tried any kinds of hard cider? I'd be interested in the higher proof alcohol it produces just as much as taking it all the way to lower proof cider.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

You could try a Dry Mead, it's less honey and more boozahol. Honey Run Winery makes one called "Ragnar's Dry" that's not very sweet at all.

Oooh, tempting. I guess I should have also stated that nobody really like those meads so it may have been those ones in particular but it's so darn fun to paint everything with a broad brush with a sample size of one!

Good to know there are less sweet varieties; overly sweet drinks are not my thing.

I am what I do.

While on the topic of mead, homebrews, etc; I've always wanted to try a hard cider after watching this old SYSTM video awhile back ( http://revision3.com/systm/distillation ). Has anyone ever tried any kinds of hard cider? I'd be interested in the higher proof alcohol it produces just as much as taking it all the way to lower proof cider.

I've had a lower alcohol type...can't remember the brand, just grabbed it at the grocery store. I like it quite a bit, pretty much just apple juice plus alcohol taste/sensation. Good stuff.

Alcohol... makes me sick usually, no matter what I drink, how much, or when...

My friend's brother is like that. It certainly doesn't stop him from cutting loose while out with friends. The fact that he's stone cold sober teaching everyone how to Dougie makes it even better.

I am what I do.