Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

I sort of agree. But it isn't my forum (or is it all of ours?). Really if they want to take a guild away that's fine. If it is because there wasn't enough fitness related stuff well I can't sepak on that. The guild was new and I know that I was trying to get somewhere with the men's inspiration photos but it just hasn't got there yet I guess. really though it's fine with me. I'm just happy to be here. Although I agree about "fairness". but what's fair? And I could probably turn this into a big thing but I'd prefer to remain a part of the community and just shut up. :D

It's a fair point and I do see where you're coming from (to a pretty large extent, actually, I agree). This isn't going to be what makes me leave the community; it's just something that I'm uncomfortable with, and I felt like it was appropriate to make that known somewhere and provide a reason for my discomfort.

In an absolute sense, I don't own this forum; Steve does. I know that. However, as someone who does contribute (I suppose that's debatable) or at least takes part in the forum, I do have a stake in it (as does everyone else). By being here, I'm agreeing to abide by the rules of the community and that's fine. I just think that there is room for dissent when one doesn't agree with a decision as it's currently understood. It's when we're not allowed to respectfully disagree with the management that I'll gather my things and depart (hopefully that won't happen, though; I like it here).

We're really making a big thing over this? Women have a legitimate reason to have their own guild. Their lady parts have certain subjects they need to talk about that many of us would rather not see. I still tremble when I think about the time I stumbled into that soft cup thread. Women weight lifting and such is not hugely popular on the internet, so they can post there for special questions.

Us guys don't really need it. There's very few man only questions that they'd want to avoid, and this thread seems to have served that purpose fine. Any other questions we have generally apply to everyone.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I don't see a major problem with any of this. If it's gone, it's gone. There are still plenty of places to discuss topics pertaining to masculinity, like the Off-Topic board, or the general fitness board. I think people are just as likely to help out there as they would be if the Guild still existed.

My assumption would be that the women's guild still exists because even though this is an all-inclusive forum, the online presence of males, especially in fitness communities, tends to be higher than the presence of females, effectively creating a largely male bias overall.

That's just my 2c, though.

Valar Morghulis
^Agree'd as well.

And that's Corey, master of photoshop ;)

Just kiddin' buddy!

Once I get to 2 wookies in the far future, I am going to have someone shop Chewbacca sitting on either side.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I understood the men's guild to be inherently off topic. We can post about fitness in the general forums, but I thought it was for man-centric talk and issues related to being a man. I thought it was nice to have, definitely made me more excited to check the forums every few hours. But if it's gone, oh well. Wish we'd had a chance to defend it though, seems like a rushed decision.

I understood the men's guild to be inherently off topic.

What's wrong with the OT forum for that though? I mean, we knew that the girls were reading all of the threads in there - so what's the difference if they are here instead?

Like Corey said - there is a legitimate reason for there to be a "Women's Guild", but we didn't really need 2 off topic forums.

What's wrong with the OT forum for that though? I mean, we knew that the girls were reading all of the threads in there - so what's the difference if they are here instead?

Like Corey said - there is a legitimate reason for there to be a "Women's Guild", but we didn't really need 2 off topic forums.

I feel that first statement makes life hacks, travel, finances, and parenting forums useless as well, as they are off-topic from Nerd and Fitness.

The second statement leads me to the (incorrect) conclusion that the discussion on this forum is meant for men and we give women a separate place to participate.

Anywho, not wanting to start a debate, just wanting to get the TRUE reason for the guild's shutdown from the source.

Anywho, not wanting to start a debate, just wanting to get the TRUE reason for the guild's shutdown from the source.

My bad, I stepped on a duck and smelled up the place. It had to be condemned for health reasons :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I feel that first statement makes life hacks, travel, finances, and parenting forums useless as well, as they are off-topic from Nerd and Fitness.

Come on, really? The "Men's Guild" was a bunch of pointless threads with us shooting the shit. Every forum needs a place for that, but the OT section is fine.

The second statement leads me to the (incorrect) conclusion that the discussion on this forum is meant for men and we give women a separate place to participate.

That's what you got out of "there is a legitimate reason for a Women's Guild"? Do you really believe that's what I think, or are you just being contrarian?

A rather tasteless thread popped up in the Women's Guild yesterday about the most ladylike food, or something. It sparked some conversation about the number of gossip like threads that were making up the Men's/Women's guild. I'm guessing that was the motivation for the change. (Note: I have absolutely no inside information in this regard).

Edit to add: I wholeheartedly agree that an announcement should have been made though.

The men's guild closed? Didn't even notice really.

I did however feel like MOST of the topics that sprung up there were more or less covered in this thread though :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
The men's guild closed? Didn't even notice really.

I did however feel like MOST of the topics that sprung up there were more or less covered in this thread though :P

agreed.

so back to man stuff. who hates dating?

so back to man stuff. who hates dating?

Dating, not really in the hate circle, but rejection....I hate that! :-) Had probably the worst rejection this past Saturday I have ever had, and it wasn't even from the girl I was attempting to approach. It was from one of her friends who stepped in front of me and immediately pulled the "Uh uh....I don't think so. Just walk away!" line along with a few other not so ego boosting words. WOW! Let's just say it pissed me off more than any other rejection I have ever experienced.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

<---- This guy. Although I for some reason enjoy the chase. I just don't know what to do with them once caught.

I hear it has something to do with flying things and insects.

500 / 330 / 625

I haven't dated in over a decade. Married life kinda puts a stop to it. I really don't miss it - there was some fun to be had, but I despaired of ever finding a serious commitment.

I hadn't noticed the loss of the guild either, but then I tend to wander into them by accident when looking at new posts.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Guest Snake McClain
Dating, not really in the hate circle, but rejection....I hate that! :-) Had probably the worst rejection this past Saturday I have ever had, and it wasn't even from the girl I was attempting to approach. It was from one of her friends who stepped in front of me and immediately pulled the "Uh uh....I don't think so. Just walk away!" line along with a few other not so ego boosting words. WOW! Let's just say it pissed me off more than any other rejection I have ever experienced.

well that is stupid. i wonder what her reason was. some women are just dumb.

I hate the mixed signals. Tell me sweet stuff all the time that you're into me and you want to go out but then you can never make a day/time? what is that?

Ok, not happy about this, for multiple reasons....

-If the powers that be (spezzy?) didn't like some of the threads in the Men's Guild, there's a difference between shutting a couple of threads down and an entire guild down. Let the thing grow and see where it goes instead of shutting the entire thing down.

-I disagree that men don't need their own space. We do, and we should be allowed to have it, and if the discussions are within the ToS for the site, then there is no reason to tear the whole thing down. I refuse to buy into this notion that men can talk about anything, anywhere, but women have to be protected in some shape, way, or form. Nonsense (and discriminatory as far as I'm concerned). If you *choose* not to avail yourself of it, that's fine, but the option ought to be there.

-No announcement? We just show up one day (yeah, I took Easter weekend off from the interweb), and *poof*, guild is gone, no explanation needed?

Really bothered by this notion.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

My BLOG

MY NF Blog