Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

That is a really big one for me. I hung around here for a while before I created an account, and even longer before I actually attempted to join a thread. I've noticed I'm kinda using this community as a self-help therapy of sorts with the group anxiety.

i think this community is self help for a lot (most) of us. Welcome aboard. It's hard not fitting in but here it's so easy. Like we are all on the same page. pretty great. I love these people so much.

That is a really big one for me. I hung around here for a while before I created an account, and even longer before I actually attempted to join a thread. I've noticed I'm kinda using this community as a self-help therapy of sorts with the group anxiety.

Hey no worries. I use it this way sometimes too. Waaaaaaay cheaper than a shrink :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I get like that all the time. I've always been a loner, watch from the shadows kid of guy, so most social situations, especially groups, make me less confident. I'm fine if it is only two or three other people, but any more than that and I'm the weird quiet guy. The only time I can get away from my lack of confidence is either when it is a group of mostly people I know, or if I'm just in one of those "I don't care about anything anymore" moods and I just do whatever feels right before I even have time to think about it.

This is definitely the case for me. One on one I'm good, especially if the other person leads the conversation. Two or three others I'm usually okay. Bigger than that and I usually clam up. I have very talkative friends so I'm usually in the background with the occasional quip.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

i think this community is self help for a lot (most) of us. Welcome aboard. It's hard not fitting in but here it's so easy. Like we are all on the same page. pretty great. I love these people so much.

That is why I am more active here than other fora. Nobody has been anti-noob, and everyone seems really helpful and actually invested in other people's improvements and life choices, even when it goes against their own choices. Take the vegan and paleo groups for example, people from both camps still join in and help others in the other group.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Guest Snake McClain
That is why I am more active here than other fora. Nobody has been anti-noob, and everyone seems really helpful and actually invested in other people's improvements and life choices, even when it goes against their own choices. Take the vegan and paleo groups for example, people from both camps still join in and help others in the other group.

could you imagine if the entire word acted this way? It would be a beautiful place.

So win. I think part of why we have such awesome forum chemistry is that, regardless of where you are in life NOW, most 'nerds' probably went through some period of time where they saw greater than normal social anxiety.

Lots n lots of empathy.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Aye, a beautiful place it indeed would be. How do you suppose we could foster a real-world mass acceptance, even in the small scale? I try as much as I can, but that never seems to bear any fruit.

AJ, I think it is part of what you said and part that we are all goal oriented. And the goal is the same for all of us. Bettering ourselves in one way or another, and the two biggest helps in doing that is through motivation and support. So, (either inadvertently or purposefully depending on the person) we mirror the motivation and support we received to those who need it more than us.

Did I just answer my own question?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Bruce, What I usually do (because for the majority of my life I've been in that situation) is to pretty much act casual, you can trade "lack of knowledge" with "genuine interest" in what they're talking about by asking them questions about what they're talking about, sorta make them the "Teacher for the noob" this usually replaces that awkward moment that "they realize you don't know jack!" with the bonding experience because they'll feel like they're passing knowledge down to you. Just ask questions, when appropriate and be honest when you say you have no idea what they're talking about, but when you show an interest in it then you'll gain their respect. Hope this works for you!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Bruce, I'm not trying to be flippant, but fake it 'til you make it. If you act confident in that situation, pretty soon your brain will think it is confident.

As an aside, thanks to whoever suggested the Champion boxer briefs. My baggy butt boxers were getting all raggedy, but I could only find skinny boxer replacements (big glutes). I'm lovin' the boxer briefs, my boys are snug and comfy now.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I have felt the same, where I feel like I don't know enough or I'm too young(as in at a conference with professors and grad students, I am the only undergrad I am even aware is there), and I just forced myself to go and talk with people, and when they found out I was only an undergrad, they were mostly just impressed that I was making an early start.

"Civilize the Mind, but make Savage the Body."  

Guest Snake McClain
Bruce, What I usually do (because for the majority of my life I've been in that situation) is to pretty much act casual, you can trade "lack of knowledge" with "genuine interest" in what they're talking about by asking them questions about what they're talking about, sorta make them the "Teacher for the noob" this usually replaces that awkward moment that "they realize you don't know jack!" with the bonding experience because they'll feel like they're passing knowledge down to you. Just ask questions, when appropriate and be honest when you say you have no idea what they're talking about, but when you show an interest in it then you'll gain their respect. Hope this works for you!

I think this is pretty true. I try to do this anyway. but sometimes my ego gets in the way and i don't want to be the idiot. but yeah i try to my best to ask and learn at all times.

We need to find a way to take the love of nerd fitness and pass it around the whole world.

Guest Snake McClain
NF Official Mustache?

Or, we could opt for the "G.K." method and use hordes of NF'ers? Swooping into an unsuspecting village, benchpressing horses and fighting bears?

or maybe swoop in whilst sporting the stache?

bench pressing horses made me lol. haha

I call dibs on the bear fighting! And clearly handlebar mustaches would be required for bear fighting.

We'll tell the masses, "You can't fight the bear without the 'stache! NF can help you!" but we'll never tell them how they're correlated, that's the pitch!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Guest Snake McClain
We'll tell the masses, "You can't fight the bear without the 'stache! NF can help you!" but we'll never tell them how they're correlated, that's the pitch!

brilliance!

Imagine:

Battered, bruised, bleeding NF Conqueror (for that is what we shall be called) standing heroically atop an unconscious bear, his horse raised above his head in the Press of Ultimate Victory position, his mustache gently flapping in the breeze as the local population cautiously gathers in a circle around him...

Imagine:

Battered, bruised, bleeding NF Conqueror (for that is what we shall be called) standing heroically atop an unconscious bear, his horse raised above his head in the Press of Ultimate Victory position, his mustache gently flapping in the breeze as the local population cautiously gathers in a circle around him...

OK....now a picture of that needs to be drawn! Who's got the skills to do it?

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Snake McClain
Imagine:

I don't remember who draws here but we should ask around. Catspaw maybe? AKlulu? *shrug* start asking. Or find laura and see who can do it. Though i have to say it is best if drawn by one of the men. *flex*

We should all use it as our avatars. lol