Forums are back in action! ×

Umm, hello there. My name's Luke, and I'm 19. I'm big into video games, generally anything multiplayer with a competitive community behind it. Ya'know, the nerdy stuff.

I'm one of those people who was very fit back when I did boxing, which I kept up for years. Over the last 2 years though, I've stopped and don't see myself going back to it. But, I do want to try and get back to my past fitness. The issue with that is, because I did boxing 4 times a week - not counting when coming up to weigh-ins and fights - I have no idea how to go about getting fit in a gym environment. So the plan is, do a little research and hopefully I'll return to my former fitness rather than being a lanky 19 year old. 

After going through the forums, everyone here seems incredibly nice so I thought I might aswell post here and toss a "How do you do" out even though my inner shyness is telling me not to :L

(I don't even know what my goals should be at this point D:  )

Hey Luke. Welcome to the party!

When you were boxing, was there an element of training that always kept you coming back for more? If your training is something you find fun, it's something you'll always get up and go to the gym for. Just getting there repeatedly is more than half the battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Zoose said:

After going through the forums, everyone here seems incredibly nice so I thought I might aswell post here and toss a "How do you do" out even though my inner shyness is telling me not to :L

(I don't even know what my goals should be at this point D:  )

Fight against that inner shyness when you're around here. The only way to do things around here is to jump in with both feet, or possibly headfirst.

For my money, I wouldn't worry too much about goals at first. The fact that you're even on this board says that you have at least a vague, generalized goal of improving your fitness, which for my money is enough of a starting point to dip your toes in the water. (Except there's no toe-dipping here. All we have is a deep end. Full of sharks.)

Instead of worrying about more specific goals, then, I'll just give you the best bit of fitness advice I've ever received and the one I share with anybody who cares to listen. When it comes to fitness, it takes work. And just like work with a capital "W", you will get the best results if it's something you can find a way to enjoy. That means you need to find fitness things you can do that you will like doing.

Lots of people say, "man, I need to lose weight, I should take up running!" Problem is, not everybody likes running. Me, I'm one of the weird ones. I love running. But I can't stand lifting weights. Every time I've tried to take up lifting weights, I get bored and quit within just a few weeks. Luckily, I can fall back on the running, because that's what keeps me coming back.

So find the thing you enjoy doing. Do that thing. And then, once you're comfortable just doing it, work on getting better at it.

• Like 1

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

24 minutes ago, amartucci said:

Hey Luke. Welcome to the party!

When you were boxing, was there an element of training that always kept you coming back for more? If your training is something you find fun, it's something you'll always get up and go to the gym for. Just getting there repeatedly is more than half the battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good thought. but I think what always brought me back to it was the competitive nature of it (Like the video games I like) 

Not too sure how to incorporate that into the gym. Keep in mind I don't really have anyone to go with to be in competition with.

Just now, Pavowski said:

Fight against that inner shyness when you're around here. The only way to do things around here is to jump in with both feet, or possibly headfirst.

For my money, I wouldn't worry too much about goals at first. The fact that you're even on this board says that you have at least a vague, generalized goal of improving your fitness, which for my money is enough of a starting point to dip your toes in the water. (Except there's no toe-dipping here. All we have is a deep end. Full of sharks.)

Instead of worrying about more specific goals, then, I'll just give you the best bit of fitness advice I've ever received and the one I share with anybody who cares to listen. When it comes to fitness, it takes work. And just like work with a capital "W", you will get the best results if it's something you can find a way to enjoy. That means you need to find fitness things you can do that you will like doing.

Lots of people say, "man, I need to lose weight, I should take up running!" Problem is, not everybody likes running. Me, I'm one of the weird ones. I love running. But I can't stand lifting weights. Every time I've tried to take up lifting weights, I get bored and quit within just a few weeks. Luckily, I can fall back on the running, because that's what keeps me coming back.

So find the thing you enjoy doing. Do that thing. And then, once you're comfortable just doing it, work on getting better at it.

Hm...what you said about starting something, and trying to get better at it actually helps a lot. I've always looked at fitness as "Alright I've got to get from A, to B" but I think that actually trying to improve certain aspects of it. I.E, run more each time, lift more each time rather than worrying about my overall fitness might be a better way to go about it.

Thanks a lot! Help came quicker than I imagined haha

• Like 1

Hi Luke, Welcome to the Rebellion!

I second what Pavowski said about finding something you like, then working to get better at it. You said that what kept you boxing was the competitive aspect and competition can be personal as well as against others. Maybe Cross-fit might work for you? It seems to attract some very intense people and the workouts are timed, so if it took you 38 minutes to complete a workout, you could shoot for 36 the next time that workout cycled around. (Just make sure you are disciplined enough to do the exercises safely and not get sloppy to shave a few seconds - that way injury lies.)

You might want to hang out in the Adventurer's guild for different ideas. The challenges could give you a framework for your search: try Cross-fit for four weeks, then bouldering/rockclimbing for the next challenge, then a Parkour class for the challenge after that, etc. 

And if you want more literal competition, there is a PvP challenge thread where you can compete head to head with a NF buddy.

Enjoy your search!

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin