Forums are back in action! ×

Steam rooms?

After my run today, I headed into the locker room to change, and found a cluster of meatheanderthals. (What would be the proper term for a group of those guys?) This cluster was forming a line about 10-15 deep for the showers, meaning I had plenty of time I'd have to kill before I could get my turn. Rather than hang out with them, I headed out to the pool area, and wandered into the steam room.

I've never really spent much time in there, so I figured I'd give it a shot while I waited for the cluster to thin out a bit. Sure, I managed to sweat a ton (or collect some condensation - who knows - either way I was soaked), but I'm not sure why someone would really want to hang out there everyday.

So, long story short, what's the point of a steam room? Any reasons to make it part of a routine, or avoid it like the plague?

A good sweat is (generally) good for your skin and leaves most folks feeling energized afterwards.

If you combine it with a cold plunge pool or a cold-blast shower, well, ask the Finns and Russians, it's a cult over there. Feels awesome. (Disclosure: recent holiday had a spa area with a cold bucket on a chain. I had to be dragged away from hot-cold-hot-cold...)

One of my favorite things to do when it's available is hop from hot tub to swimming pool and back over and over. It's really invigorating.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I agree w/others -- I love going into the whirlpool and then the steam room after a workout at the gym, before taking a shower and getting back to my work day. I'm sure there are studies that will show some medical benefits, but more than anything, it's for people who get relaxation out of it and it works akin to a sorbet or buffer between your workout and 'real' life. I like the feeling of getting the sweat out and I feel relaxed and energized after it.

But if it's not your thing, no worries.... I think it's one of those personal preference dealios.

There's some group somewhere in Scandinavia that spends time in super-cold (like, -10º) rooms for the health benefits. I don't go to a gym with any kind of fancy stuff like that, but now I'm wishing I did...

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

There's some group somewhere in Scandinavia that spends time in super-cold (like, -10º) rooms for the health benefits. I don't go to a gym with any kind of fancy stuff like that, but now I'm wishing I did...

It's a thing among some athletes too. It's like 60 seconds. It's supposed to kick start the healing process.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The B&B that my husband I stayed at last summer boasted about their super-fancy steam shower. I tried it out and couldn't figure out why it was fun. It must be aimed at people who have never lived in humid climates, because I just felt like I was sitting outside in Carolina in August minus the bugs.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

Years ago, I use to follow up my workouts with:

15 min Hot Tub

60 sec Cold Plunge

15 min Sauna

60 sec Cold Plunge

15 min Steam Room

Shower and go home

So relaxing!!!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I really dislike steam rooms and saunas. Just the thought of sitting there sweating and dripping all over the place but not actually doing any exercise.... bleugh. If I want to sweat, I go to my monday Zumba class where the A/C is broken in the dance studio. Hot tubs are a different story though, just try and keep me away from one of those! One a weekend away with some friends I hadn't even packed a bathing suit and I still couldn't stay away, just got in with my bra and pants on!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

A long time ago I worked out in gym in the heart of downtown, not too far from the red light district (now razed). The point of the steam room seemed to be to give the guys a place to service each other. I went in once, backed out slowly, and haven't been in another one since.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

The B&B that my husband I stayed at last summer boasted about their super-fancy steam shower. I tried it out and couldn't figure out why it was fun. It must be aimed at people who have never lived in humid climates, because I just felt like I was sitting outside in Carolina in August minus the bugs.

The couple of times I've been in a sauna, I felt the same way.

Old Battle Log

Or Houston, TX

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Laughing about the folks who think it' like living in a humid area. Having never lived anyplace where humidity was a problem I love steam rooms. They are especially good when I'm having an asthma or allergy attack. Great for clearing out my sinuses. Steam room followed by cool shower is heaven, I sometimes try to turn our regular shower into a mini steam room. On a sunny day we can get 165 degree water out the tap so it's close.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

I grew up taking a lot of steam baths (basically a wet sauna) in rural Alaska. They're great for clearing out your pores and all that, but mostly we just found them to be really relaxing and enjoyable (it was also very social for us). It was also great to be able to put a metal bowl on the stove with water and a little eucalyptus oil when you needed to clear your head while sick. I do find public saunas to be slightly disappointing because they're never as hot as I'd like, but I still like to relax in one when I get a chance. When I have my own property someday, I'll definitely be building a steam bath. I guess if it's not something you're accustomed to, it would be a bit difficult to get into the culture of (especially these wussy gym saunas).

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I remember having ice baths available during training for football. Like a cold pack, helps to reduce inflammation (which you get lots of in contact-heavy sports >.>)

As for the steam room, it's a relaxant. Ever notice how people just seem to move... slower, in warm, humic climates? Your body just relaxes in the presence of warm humidity, in order to reduce chances of overexertion/over-heating.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!