Forums are back in action! ×

The MOST important thing you've learned...

Guest guest4729

Tough question.

Push yourself and don't be afraid to fail. This is probably the biggest one for me, I think I always held myself back because I was afraid to fail and not be "good enough". I am good enough and failing is part of the journey.

This is an important one... you need COURAGE to change your life... almost beat out my realization that I don't really look like clooney...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I like lifting weights.

I started exercising regularly before I started lifting but it was something I did because it was supposed to be good for me. I'd feel like crap if I skipped a workout, but I didn't actually like the exercising that I was doing. But I actually enjoy working out now to the point where I geek out about different lifting things and am sad when I don't get to lift, and that's awesome.

Cookies made without flour are still cookies; lifts done without consistency and form aren't lifts.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

For me:

Stay off the scale

I have not weighed myself in ~2 years at this point. In the past, my focus was weight loss rather than appearance and how I felt. This got me no where. Having only a feint idea of how much I weigh forces me to see the changes elsewhere; such as, what I see in the mirror, looser clothing, fitting into smaller sizes, and comments from friends and family. These are the items that drive the motivation to continue. Only when I'm happy with all these other items will I hop on a scale to see how far I've come, and primarily so I can calculate my BMR in order to properly bulk.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

In the eyes of my loved ones or God, I might well be a precious, unique little snowflake. For a fitness program, though, I'm not. I wasted years of my gym life making excuses for swapping out movements or protocols that I didn't think would give me the much desired pex or gunz.

Unsurprisingly, my own attempts didn't get me there, either. It was only when I dropped my ego, and the excuses, and started squatting and deadlifting and not doing 14 movements to hit my chest from every concievable angle, that I started to get strong. And, wonder of wonders, my chest and arms started to grow. Imagine that.

So, now when kids ask me what my "arm day" looks like them, I say "mostly deadlifting". When they tell me, no, that their legs "get plenty of work from jogging", I smile and nod.

I was there. They'll learn. To the weights, they're not precious, unique little snowflakes, and trusting the old timers will take them a while. But they'll get there.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Don't Give a ... damn ... what other think.

Case in point: Was on the bike at the gym today, playing on the Nintendo DS. 30 mins flew by. Did I care if people were looking? Not really. They do their workout, I do mine.

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon

What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place?

What if to get to heaven you have to brave hell?

What if everything you ever wanted, cost all you ever achieved?

Would you go there?

Bacon makes everything better.

If that one isn't along the lines of what you're looking for, the second most important thing is:

Only you choose what you put into your body. Only you choose not to work out. Stop blaming others for your failures.

The above has helped me a lot. I no longer blame circumstances for not working out. Couldn't go to the gym? Do a 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, and 200 squats. Too cold to run outside? You've got steps in the house, go up and down them 50 times. Nothing healthy to eat? Get in the damn car and go to the store!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

My most recent learning experience is to listen to what my body is telling me. Dont ignore that little niggle and carry on - rein it back a bit or you will end up on the sofa for three days solid with a fractured foot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Nothing healthy to eat? Get in the damn car and go to the store!

Correction: Get in your damn shoes and run to the store!

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

As a female the free weights section won't bite. Neither will the males there.

That was my biggest fear in going to the gym. Being watched or scorned by the males at the gym because I was a female and just starting out. I'm sure somewhere there are some jerks that will act like that, but where I go everyone is super nice. The men will help if I ask for someone to spot me and actually respect the fact that I'm a woman who's getting into lifting. If I have a question on form they answer it without talking down to me. It's great.

Fitocracy! | Running Trainer | Facebook | Twitter | Current Challenge Blog!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.