Forums are back in action! ×

I asked out the intimidatingly hot girl at the gym and she said yes

For those of you who read my last post about this, you know the girl I'm talking about: The DEADLIFT. I've always been oddly intimidated by the deadlift....and I'm not usually a timid sort. Today, I did my first deadlift. 20 lbs on the bar, was waaaaay too light but great for working on my form and trying to put into practice all the great things in the vids you guys reccommended. I promised myself I wouldn't come back to this community until I'd done what I said I'd do, AND HERE I AM! Thanks to everyone who told me to just suck it up and go lift the damn bar. Was exactly what I needed.

Here it is, my new Avatar shoes (thus dubbed by my girlfriend) getting ready to do my first deadlift:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1948[/ATTACH]

post-4584-1356724338803_thumb.jpg

- Shorty

"Alright you egg sucking piece of gutter trash you always liked pushing around people smaller than you. Well I'm smaller; try pushing me."

Your girlfriend is super hot. I'm pretty jealous. I need to find me a boyfriend that's at least half as hot as your girlfriend.... maybe I'll go shopping...

I heard a rumor this nice guy named Pull-Up might be on the prowl. ;)

- Shorty

"Alright you egg sucking piece of gutter trash you always liked pushing around people smaller than you. Well I'm smaller; try pushing me."

I'm married, but shhhhhh, I'm dating a girl just like her on the side.

Also, great positioning with the bar over the feet. I align the bar so that when I look down, I can just see the front of the straps on my Viibrams. What brand/model of shoe is that? They look may more awesome than my KSO's.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You know, this is a girl I dated a long time ago, and we had a lot of fun. For a while now I've been pretty steady with a couple of her cousins (squat and good mornings) with some dabbling on the side with another (barbell lunges). But with the way all of you talk about this girl, maybe I need to give her another shot. She is a bit higher maintenance, and I know she wouldn't like my place the way it is (no bumper plates) but her place is pretty nice, too (the Y).

Way to go! See.. confidence (okay, and maybe avatar shoes) is all you need to get with the hot girl. Go you!

May you both live long and prosper.

Aklulu, I've been trying to catch the eye of that hot guy. You are right. He plays very, very hard to get. We'll get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw4uj_ZPHvY&feature=related

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Before I ran out the door this morning, I went out and grabbed the shoes I know she likes, and I might run by the store for another accessory (straps), just in case I decide to call her up for a lunch date. I'm kinda excited. (Next post, I take this metaphor *way* too far. It's been swirling in my head ever since I saw this thread, and I think I have to put it out there, or my brain will melt.)

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

<---- We're on a date.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That there is a Big Girl. She's 405 lb.

500 / 330 / 625

@Laura

I LOVE the way you illustrated your point. I haven't seen Wayne's World in ages, but should probably watch it again soon.

Also, that guy has been teasing me my whole life. The only time I probably could have charmed him, I was about 6 years old and too short to reach a pull-up bar. We'll definitely get him this time though... it may take a while, and we might have to be very sneaky and suave, but we'll get there...

I have a date with overhead squats tonight (among others... kind of a speed dating thing), should be fun!

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

(The metaphor isn't perfect. Aside from the whole serial dating/open relationship/cheating overtones, relationships should be two-way. Sometimes I get an image of weights feeling 'fulfilled' when they are used properly, but it doesn't quite work.)

See, the main problem I have with your post is that you're calling her the hottest girl. Sure, she's kinda popular in certain circles, perhaps including around here, although I'd bet most people here wouldn't date her. But let's be honest. This girl is shunned by most people. Certainly this is because she's massively misunderstood. It's great that you have let the people here show you that she is truly beautiful, with a depth of character that few others can match. Now, if you do see her has hot (as I do), then all the better. But of course you should realize that if you describe her that way to others, you're going to get a lot of funny looks. That's not to say that you shouldn't trumpet your new relationship with her to the world. She deserves that.

She is, of course, much better than a *hot* girl. This is the girl you want a long-term relationship with. This is (one of) the girl(s) who will help you in the best possible way.

Of course, tastes do vary, but I think we all know who the *hot* girls are. The ones that guys lust after. The ones that will get you into the best parties and who make you look better just because you're with them. These are the upper body girls: bench, press, curls, etc. Now don't get me wrong. These girls aren't so bad. They can help you in certain ways. My biggest problem is that so many guys will *only* go out with these girls, and completely ignore girls like deadlift and squat. And maybe I'm in the minority, but to me the way these guys make themselves up to be only with these girls makes them look really silly (big upper body but pencil legs). And how embarrassing is it when someone actually spots some of these things, like when a guy has a really bad toupée (wearing sweat pants to cover their pitiful legs).

I've dated these girls before, and we've had some fun together. But it's been a while since I've seen them at all. I've gotten over my 'hot girl' fascination, and only spend time with the girls who are good for me. Yeah, I know that some of you will tell me that I should spend *some* time with them. But I get a lot of the benefits I could get with them from a variety of other things.

The thing is, the hot girls are particularly bad for me. Their parties hold little or no fascination for me anymore, not that I was the life of those parties anyway. But see, here's the thing. There's this other girl I see. So hot, so exotic. Her name is hammer throw. When we go out, we dance.... Salsa. Spinning like wild people, separating spectacularly only to come together again for another go-round. We've gotten so good together that we actually compete, even winning an award or two. The problem is, I think hot girls really don't like this kind of thing; they seem to be jealous of it. They make me way too tense to enjoy it properly. Now, girls like deadlift and squat are completely different. They'll be right there with hammer and me, cheering us on, doing everything they possibly can to help us win. These are the kind of girls who help with the important details that make my time with hammer so special.

But then, what of all the other girls? Going in to try to meet girls can be so depressing. So many of them are so bad for you. Obviously the people that most go after are treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc. And yeah, they're very similar to the hot girls. Some good points, but not if you see them exclusively. The strange thing about these girls is that they seem to be very prone to making people obsessive about them, way beyond any sort of beneficial relationship, all the way to self-damaging behavior (knee and back problems). Now, I do see girls like these on a regular basis, but I make sure to keep it really casual. Quick aside, I was at a heart conference a little while ago, and the subject of these girls came up. In addition to the most commonly known perils of dating these girls, I found out a new one. Well, new to me. If you spend too much time with these girls, you're almost guaranteed to get your heart broken (atrial fibrillation)! There were a bunch of doctors there, and the most frightening thing is that, even after they've had their heart broken, the doctors don't even *try* to get them to stay away from these girls, because they know it's no use. The hold these girls have on these poor damaged people is so strong that they'll keep going back to these girls, killing themselves.

Then there's all the other girls, the ones that people go with because they're easy. They either have no interest in girls like deadlift and squat, or they think that they're too inaccessible. You know them, the machines. They give the illusion of the kind of support a quality girl will give, but never follow through. I pity someone who tries to dance with a girl like hammer without the support of friends like squat and deadlift, thinking that the machines have given them something they can never give. Sooner or later, you'll just collapse in the middle of a great dance step, perhaps never able to dance again.

Stop stealing mah girl.... This may come to fisty cuffs good sir!

Big, you know you haven't been able to get this girl to got out with you yet. :P

500 / 330 / 625

I have a date with overhead squats tonight (among others... kind of a speed dating thing), should be fun!

LOL, You reminded me of something that I forgot to put into my little speech (and I do apologize for the length of all this. I'm just having fun. Feel free to ignore.)

Speed dating. Yes, it's fun, and in general, a bunch of casual dates to let you get to know what's out there, and what might be best for you is a wonderful thing.

But why is it that so many people seem to *only* be into speed dating? Don't people understand that by far the best results come from long-term, deep, meaningful relationships? I see people buzzing around, going from one to the other, particularly with the machines, usually without putting any sort of effort into it, and to no one's surprise, nothing ever comes of it!

It's time to settle down, people. Find the ones you love and give them the attention they deserve. Really get to know them, and what they need. Build something really beautiful.

Double post because I hadn't read Book's post yet, but that should be quote of the week in Steve's Friday e-mail. That was awesome.

edit: Or not double post.

500 / 330 / 625