Forums are back in action! ×

What DOESN'T belong in the nerd community at large

Given the site we're on, can we not make the challenge to deadlift a Wookiee*?

*Anyone thinking of posting that Wookiees are not real, please don't. They clearly are. They were in all those documentaries about space people.

I second that motion. Any objections? I hear no objections. :gavels: motion passed.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

How much does a Wookie weigh? They're *gulp* tall.

According to Wookieepedia, the males are 2.2 metres tall and weigh about 125 kilograms. Thinking it through with that information, deadlifting one shouldn't be too hard (they have lots of hair to grab on to). They're also fairly placid so they might even let you try.

Perhaps bench pressing one would be a more apt challenge.

Hey, this could be our new unit of measurement.

125 kg is about 275 lbs. We would want a nice, big warrior one, so round up to 300 lbs. (Or... we could make it 314.15927.... nah, never mind)

So, for example, when Spezzy did her max deadlift, that's 350/300 = 1.17 wookies. Maybe if you added up all her sets and reps, for the whole workout she may have lifted 20.63 wookies, etc.

I think it should be a combination of Wookies and Ewoks. Don't wanna use too many decimal places nao.

BUT TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.

Yes, the idea of the rainbow braid was just that the guy would hate that based on who he is. Same as how some guys might enjoy innuendo from prison inmates. Hey, I don't judge. The point was HE'D not enjoy it.

Right behind yah Bruce. Although I think we'd have to google bomb the muthaf***a to get his attention.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

:(((

That is disgusting. He should be banned from competitions for a year.

Goals 2012: Lose 22kg; run City to Surf in under three hours, no walking; finish New Rules of Lifting for Women; complete 3rd year of degree; get job or internship in an art gallery, museum or auction house.

"Let me have humility, an awareness of my own ignorance and fragility, and contempt for nothing but the insolence of those who condemn me." Petrarch

Blog. First challenge.

Right behind yah Bruce. Although I think we'd have to google bomb the muthaf***a to get his attention.

Count me in on helping get the douche's attention!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Snake McClain
I think it should be a combination of Wookies and Ewoks. Don't wanna use too many decimal places nao.

BUT TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.

Yes, the idea of the rainbow braid was just that the guy would hate that based on who he is. Same as how some guys might enjoy innuendo from prison inmates. Hey, I don't judge. The point was HE'D not enjoy it.

I'm seriously thinking of busting out my video camera and challenging him. Not even a joke. It wouldn't take much to get his attention. Between twitter and YouTube it would probably be easy. Thing is if he decodes to turn it into a flame war then the whole thing is over but I guess he still loses and looks like a tool.

What a massive tool. He looks like the type of guy that thinks he's god gift to women because he's spent a disproportionate amount of his life hitting buttons in a fighting game and give him the right to say what he wants to women. I haven't watched the video but I don't think I want to, I might end up punching the screen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Guest Snake McClain
Make your retribution something you can stay aloof from Bruce, degenerating into a flame war will just let the guy vent even more and think he's won somehow.

See that's my problem. I'd want to make it personal...which it is. I need a PR man for something like this. Lol

I'm seriously thinking of busting out my video camera and challenging him. Not even a joke. It wouldn't take much to get his attention. Between twitter and YouTube it would probably be easy. Thing is if he decodes to turn it into a flame war then the whole thing is over but I guess he still loses and looks like a tool.

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

You will be my hero forever.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Guest Snake McClain
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DOOOOOOO EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

You will be my hero forever.

If I do this I need a solid un-rebukable script. I will need a very specific line of dialogue (most of which I can do myself). I just want to be sure he can't come back and make me look like the bad guy. Anyone want to help with this? Or am I a bad guy for wanting to do this? Hard to say.

If I do this I need a solid un-rebukable script. I will need a very specific line of dialogue (most of which I can do myself). I just want to be sure he can't come back and make me look like the bad guy. Anyone want to help with this? Or am I a bad guy for wanting to do this? Hard to say.

I think it would possibly give him more attention... It would be better to do something to help change the culture. He only did this because he knew, or thought he knew, that no one would stop him. What the hell was everyone else in the room doing? Have the organizers committed to implementing changes to how these things are run, and what is acceptable behaviour? How is the community responding to this? Has anyone organized a program to start shifting the culture?

I believe this sort of work would be better than calling him out. An effective response would need to come from his peer group, not some random on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goals 2012: Lose 22kg; run City to Surf in under three hours, no walking; finish New Rules of Lifting for Women; complete 3rd year of degree; get job or internship in an art gallery, museum or auction house.

"Let me have humility, an awareness of my own ignorance and fragility, and contempt for nothing but the insolence of those who condemn me." Petrarch

Blog. First challenge.

Lots of girls game online. We just use uninteresting gamertags and leave the mics off. Totally kills the flood of naked picture requests along with the "add me on fb" messages.

I like the wookie measurement. I should get a cardboard cut out of one and cover it up with black squares representing 5 lbs. Every time I can lift more reveals more of the wookie. Theres an interesting conversation piece for my living room.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wake Your Dreams...

This sucks that this happened. I've got a number of mixed emotions on this. I've been an avid gamer (online/multiplayer in particular) for most of my life, and have been heavily involved in the fighting game community.

On the one hand I have to applaud everyone in this thread who are offended, disgusted or both at the actions of this person. I'm happy to see so many decent individuals here. Yet another reason why I'm growing to love this community more and more.

On the other hand I understand there is a time and place for EVERYTHING. In most sports it's okay to talk crap, smack, or noise to people, opposition or otherwise. In some cases, even butt-smacking is accepted ("Good Game!"). Obviously you can't go around smacking peoples asses and saying good game, but in certain situations, it's just accepted.

I can understand where he's coming from in his defense. In online games, and especially the fighting game community in particular, smack-talking is not only a staple, but is a much more vulgar affair than in other arenas.

All that being said, I think this guy is a completely unprofessional person, with a sense of humor that I care nothing for. I do think that this is being blown way out of proportion, seeing as how Miranda was not even the person who brought up the notion of sexual harassment. Everyone jumping to her defense exacerbates the problem as well. She's an adult, she can defend herself if she needs to. On more than one occasion I've sat back and watched my girlfriend hold her own in a male-dominated fighting game tournament and setting (both in banter and actual game playing). I'm not a white knight here to protect my fair princess from hooligans. I'm a king, she's my queen, and we act thusly.

And to the people that believe that he needs some sort of extravagant punishment: Just stop. It's unnecessary and counter-productive. What he needs is to do is really take into account how this situation is going to affect his life. He might make the decision to make the proper adjustments to his attitude, outlook, and overall being in order to become a better individual. We just have to prepare ourselves for the just as likely chance that he simply does nothing, and continues to be the person he is.

You can't force someone to be better, to change their negative attitude into a positive one, or to be coerced into a different outlook. Everyone who is signed up here should know that more than anyone.

EDIT: I want to fireman carry a Wookie.

My Fitocracy
My Facebook
My PSN: Judo_Panda
My SteamID: Astroboi