Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Is wearing gym gear outside of the gym a thing now?

There seem to be an awful lot of ladies wearing the Lycra, tight gym singlets, and latest $1000 running shoes, but they don't ever appear sweaty and their make up and their sleek ponytails are always perfect, you can see them in the morning after dropping the kids off at school drinking their chai lattes and eating mud cake at the cafe, then see them in the afternoon after picking the kids up from school looking exactly the same, albeit more flustered with the kids hanging around demanding chocolate!

If they workout, I must find out their secret to perfection!

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

Sorry, Seven, it's a psychological fashion statement. Being into fitness and exercise is quite trendy at the moment, and you can give people the impression that you exercise regularly just by wearing the gym clothes - even if you never raise a sweat.

• Like 1

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Sorry, Seven, it's a psychological fashion statement. Being into fitness and exercise is quite trendy at the moment, and you can give people the impression that you exercise regularly just by wearing the gym clothes - even if you never raise a sweat.

This. Also I never thought I'd say this but some of Gasp's, Better Bodies's etc. regular clothing is comfy as all hell. I haven't worn jeans if I didn't have to ever since I got BB's college pants from a friend of mine. And I'm going to have to get jeans from Gasp at some point to accommodate my monstrous thighs.

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of girly men.

The people I never get are the ones who spend an hour or so in the gym and ALWAYS reward themselves with chocolate or something immediately after. I mean sure, if you really like chocolate, and you've worked really hard at the gym that WEEK, then reward yourself, I suppose. But by eating unhealthily as a reward every time I'm sure it undermines any progress quite a bit, especially if you're doing cardio, in which case the two probably just cancel each other out. Oh look I burned 250 calories today, better reward myself with a 250 calorie chocolate bar.

I get that plenty of people aren't overly concerned with getting their diet and exercise on point, but it seems to me that by doing that you're just spending an hour at the gym so that you can eat chocolate and not get any unhealthier.

I think the worse I've seen it is at swimming pools, where people get out, get dressed and go immediately to a vending machine. Of course, if the gym is decent then it probably shouldn't have vending machines filled with chocolate and crisps, but I'm sure that plenty do.

Not everyone is trying to lose weight.

Not everyone cares about clean eating.

Unless you know their goals and have tabs on their every mouthful, you can't be sure that they shouldn't be having chocolate or crisps.

Do you want to come and judge me for eating a lovely, juicy cheeseburger and chips followed by a chocolate flapjack after my workout?

• Like 3

Unless you know their goals and have tabs on their every mouthful, you can't be sure that they shouldn't be having chocolate or crisps.

Do you want to come and judge me for eating a lovely, juicy cheeseburger and chips followed by a chocolate flapjack after my workout?

This!

My youngest son has such a high metabolism. ... when we have a bike ride more than fifty or so miles he eats a giant dinner AND half a gallon of ice cream. ... it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to maintain (let alone gain) with his metabolism if he only eats clean. ... his stomach WON'T hold that much (he eats 4-5k on rest days. ... when we are doing high activity he could eat 8-10k and still lose)

If you don't KNOW don't judge. ...

They also might plan their ENTIRE day off calories around that treat. .. when I was doing calories that's what I did

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'd be gutted there would be no food for me...

I'm not saying any of that, I'm talking about the people who go into the gym, paddle in the pool for half an hour then get a twix and a mars bar "because they've earned it", without any other aspect of their life being any different. I mean the people who think they're being healthy by adding exercise, but then adding MORE junk food than they already eat after every session of exercise, undoing any work they've just done.

Don't get me wrong, if you work hard then junk food can be put in your diet no problem, I think it was on Faruso's channel where he was showing that he includes children's cereal in smoothies regularly, but a lot of people don't know any better and think that they're becoming more healthy when really they're making it worse. Some people enjoy doing the exercise regardless, and some people aren't looking to make any significant progress to their health or physique, but those aren't the people I'm talking about.

I'm not judging people for it, I just think the ones who are trying to improve themselves are misguided. Obviously when it comes to strangers you don't know what the rest of their diet or exercise is like, maybe they came into the pool to cool down after lifting weights for an hour, and maybe that's the only junk food they eat, but I have friends and family members who announce that they're gonna get healthy (usually around January 1st), add tedious exercise, rewarding every minute of it with junk food, then give up a few weeks later.

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I always cater for a small army!

When I cook I measure food in gallons and pounds

Lovely feeding three bodybuilders

• Like 1

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Put it under a "someone else's problem field" and move on.

Granted this thread has more so become a place to put observations and pet peeves and less so about funny things overhead in the gym, but I don't think anyone dropping their gym pet peeves in here are so bothered and distraught by what they've seen that it's affecting their everyday lives.

But maybe we do need a separate thread for "Pet Peeves and Things That Make You Go Hmmm..."

Is wearing gym gear outside of the gym a thing now?

Lol if I could get away with looking fashionable outside of the gym in gym wear I would definitely try to do it. Gym clothes are so comfortable. But my gym clothes are often stinky as well as comfy and that's usually frowned upon.

Gotta make that extra cash somewhere!  

My local gym has a fridge full of that Vita-water crap, protein shakes and protein bars...

Here's a question....

What "should" a gym have for sale?  Mine has water.  Just water.  (Owner will be adding more as time goes on, but it's a new gym.)

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Here's a question....

What "should" a gym have for sale? Mine has water. Just water. (Owner will be adding more as time goes on, but it's a new gym.)

Mine has water, Gatorade, BCAAs, Monster, and protein shakes. Lol I want them to sell Sour Patch Kids but I don't see that happening.

Student Budget, I think you need to remember that even if a person is not getting leaner, lowering their body fat percentages by eating no junk/clean/in a caloric deficit, exercise still is a healthy move for a person.

Cardiovascular, muscle growth, bone density, immuno-defensive systems are all improved with exercise. 

That's not to say that it would be better to get leaner as well, but let's not neg someone for stepping 1 step in the right direction instead of 2.

Sincerely, someone happy with their BF%, who also enjoys post run donuts. 

• Like 2

Currently lost in Fitness.

Here's a question....

What "should" a gym have for sale? 

Protein !!!!!!

in all forms; Whey, bars, Jerky, chicken breasts, slabs of steak, eggs and nuts ! .... oh and stuff with ingredients ending in "ose" .. so chocolate bars, twinkies, coke, ... hell even packs of sugar .... ah and some slower acting carbs so I dont crash when the "ose" wears off, so crisps

Basically, after a full body workout, anything that allows me to get back home without passing out or throwing up would be good !

Did a 5am workout in the Garage this morning (4am really as the clocks went forward) ... its only a 15meter walk from the garage back to the house, but I still had to stop on the way back and look for a vending machine

• Like 2

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge