Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

He had a hook strapped onto the handless arm. 

I gotta say, having one arm and doing deadlifts is pretty dedicated. If I lost an arm I'd probably stick to unilateral exercises, the dumbbell rows and presses and whatnot. Never in a million workouts would I think of doing deadlifts.

We have a resident Nerd with only one hand who still deadlifts.

Yeah, carp is a really good dude. I've watched him DL the hook/harness contraption he wears to failure, busting straps and shit.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Quick question--What weights do you start at when trying to figure out how much a person can lift? I'm talking if you're not doing SL5x5 and starting with the bar.

My husband wants to start lifting with me tonight. He did a very minor amount of lifting 20+ years ago in high school (minor=sitting around chatting until the coach walked by and then doing a few reps until he was out of the room) and since then has not really done anything. I think he's going to follow the 5/3/1 beginner's template but first he'll need to figure out what weight to use. I know he'll have to mess around a bit to figure it out but I don't even know a good starting point to suggest so it doesn't take an exceedingly long time to figure out. He is strong but out of shape. If it matters, he's 6'2" and 240ish. 

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Quick question--What weights do you start at when trying to figure out how much a person can lift? I'm talking if you're not doing SL5x5 and starting with the bar.

My husband wants to start lifting with me tonight. He did a very minor amount of lifting 20+ years ago in high school (minor=sitting around chatting until the coach walked by and then doing a few reps until he was out of the room) and since then has not really done anything. I think he's going to follow the 5/3/1 beginner's template but first he'll need to figure out what weight to use. I know he'll have to mess around a bit to figure it out but I don't even know a good starting point to suggest so it doesn't take an exceedingly long time to figure out. He is strong but out of shape. If it matters, he's 6'2" and 240ish. 

My personal opinion: always start with just the bar.  Or less, if necessary, and focus on form before weight.  Once that's down, adding weight is relatively simple, but will depend largely on which exercise you're talking about.  

Disclaimer: I am not a trainer.  Or a doctor.  I don't even play one on TV.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

My personal opinion: always start with just the bar.  Or less, if necessary, and focus on form before weight.  Once that's down, adding weight is relatively simple, but will depend largely on which exercise you're talking about.  

This is what I did, it takes a bit of an ego check but being able to focus on form is valuable. The only one that had weight on it was deadlift, I put one 45 on each side and that was so the bar was in it's proper spot.

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Not a fail... you found your limit... that's a success. I will repeat this until people start calling it the "Roll of pride" and not the "Roll of shame"

By "failure" I mean the failure to press the bar off my chest. It was far more hilarious than shameful.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

By "failure" I mean the failure to press the bar off my chest. It was far more hilarious than shameful.

But your comment about inclusion in a gym fail video, suggests that it's a fail, and not just a failure... :-)

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

This is what I did, it takes a bit of an ego check but being able to focus on form is valuable. The only one that had weight on it was deadlift, I put one 45 on each side and that was so the bar was in it's proper spot.

Okey dokey. He is going to think I am crazy telling him to start at 135 for deadlift but I am certain he can do that.

He also says that he doesn't want his chest to get any bigger though* so he should be happy starting with the bar for that.

*Don't most men want bigger chests? I thought that big chests and arms were a guy thing.

• Like 3

MFP

Okey dokey. He is going to think I am crazy telling him to start at 135 for deadlift but I am certain he can do that.

He also says that he doesn't want his chest to get any bigger though* so he should be happy starting with the bar for that.

*Don't most men want bigger chests? I thought that big chests and arms were a guy thing.

Maybe it's a shopping thing based on another thread I read? Lose inches in the chest you can still wear t-shirts/most of your shirts. Gain inches and then you have to go out and get a new wardrobe since your stuff wont fit? 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

If you have a way to raise the bar off the ground to the right height, you can do that too... I didn't have that option and knew that 135 was a really light weight for me (Didn't start feeling hard till 230-240 on 5x5).

Keyword... Most :-) He's not one of the most... it also might have to do with however big his chest is already, and what the composition of it is.

Maybe it's a shopping thing based on another thread I read? Lose inches in the chest you can still wear t-shirts/most of your shirts. Gain inches and then you have to go out and get a new wardrobe since your stuff wont fit? 

Didn't think about this, very possible... I'm currently running around with 2 pairs of jeans, and now 3 pairs of shorts that I bought yesterday so I had something that fit. Been buying a pair at a time as my waist goes up, so now when it goes down, I'll be set... :-)

My first challenge

Some of the guys were doing interesting variations on the pull-up bar today. One was doing a pull-up into pike into some sort of full inversion and back so my coach had a go and managed one iffy one then the strongest guy in the gym (squats c.350kg, benches over 200kg and deadlifts over 350kg) had a go and couldn't get beyond a pull-up before dropping down laughing.

Really fun to watch!

A guy also wandered up to my coach, told him it was good to see him and then followed up with "And I see you've added a female superhero to your gang."

Pw3U9zb.png

Your coach and the strongest guy in the gym aren't exactly small guys, so anything body weight is going to be harder on them than on lighter people like us... says me who only recently figured out the pull ups.

• Like 1

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

Maybe he wants to look strong without looking like he tries? I always look at guys with chiseled chests and think "try hards". Its completely a jealousy thing though and i want to be them.

Didn't think about that but it's probably true. He has enough trouble with his arm length already (I want to say 38" arms but that might be crazy, anyway they are long) so I can see being wary of adding another complicating factor.

MFP

But your comment about inclusion in a gym fail video, suggests that it's a fail, and not just a failure... :-)

That comment was meant to suggest that it would have been entertaining for others to view repeatedly on Youtube haha

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

See, now all I want to do is get some fancy dress-esque gym clothes, and every workout is going to feel slightly less awesome until I do.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/alter-ego

• Like 3

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Here's a picture from my "gym" yesterday. I decided to put one of our dogs on the C25k program because he's been a bit mischievous lately and I generally follow the "a tired dog is a good dog" rule. Well I forgot how stubborn and lazy he is when he doesn't want to do something (as opposed to very fast when he wants to be--#3 here.) So here he is after two and a half 60 second jogging intervals rotated with 90 second walk periods. Notice the leash is extended behind me, not in front of or even beside me. He had this pained "ugh, she is killing me!" expression and we got a lot of stares. I ended up doing one more jog interval and then took him home, where he immediately went out back and raced around like a maniac.

ex_zpsotcgwu5r.jpg

• Like 3

MFP

I just found this one (except the spider symbol is camo) at Marshalls.  I didnt even give the wife time to argue with me over it.  

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I usually work out alone and haven't asked for a spot on something since college. Twice, this has had consequences worthy of inclusion in a gym fail video.

The first involved me benching until failure and then having to roll the bar down my torso so that I could sit up. Getting it over my pelvis was the hard part...

The second involved me learning from the first and not putting clips on the ends of the barbell. This allowed me to dump the weights off on one side.

The roll of fame is never a fail!

Here's a picture from my "gym" yesterday. I decided to put one of our dogs on the C25k program because he's been a bit mischievous lately and I generally follow the "a tired dog is a good dog" rule. Well I forgot how stubborn and lazy he is when he doesn't want to do something (as opposed to very fast when he wants to be--#3 here.) So here he is after two and a half 60 second jogging intervals rotated with 90 second walk periods. Notice the leash is extended behind me, not in front of or even beside me. He had this pained "ugh, she is killing me!" expression and we got a lot of stares. I ended up doing one more jog interval and then took him home, where he immediately went out back and raced around like a maniac.

ex_zpsotcgwu5r.jpg

Our dog (boxer/pitbull mix from the local shelter) only has energy when he's INSIDE. Put him outside in the fresh air and sunshine, and he snoozes the hours away. Bring him inside, and he acts like he's inside a pinball machine.

• Like 2

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I'm up to 6 of the various alter ego shirts.  They make great under shirts at work, then I get to pull a Superman when it's time to workout.  Still trying to decide which one(s) I need next.

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I'm up to 6 of the various alter ego shirts.  They make great under shirts at work, then I get to pull a Superman when it's time to workout.  Still trying to decide which one(s) I need next.

I'm on the look out for the Black spiderman one.  Yesterday I was wearing my new (red/camo) Spiderman shirt and some other dude was wearing a Vemon shirt.  I should have asked him if we are going to fight here, or outside.

• Like 5

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

What I learned last night--my husband and I cannot work out together. We could if we had duplicate equipment but with the current setup, no way. Between our height and strength differences it's just not doable. Also, he has no interesting in squatting but will deadlift.

• Like 2

MFP