Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

I have been treadmill sprinter on occasion...I am also sometimes really sweaty guy...

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Ok, so I finally have a story. 

A guy in cargo shorts resting below his bum, blue boxers with stars and a green shirt riding up his back so his butt was covered by just his boxers was doing some sort of drills yesterday. He was walking up and down the rows of ellipticals, SPRINTING all out through the weight machine area/treadmill area with some side stepping thrown in right before the sprints. Also jumping over any equipment that was in his way. He did this for about a half hour, only stopping to chat up some ellipti-bunnies. 

Everyone held their breath each time he went through, we were all expecting someone with headphones in to step off their treadmill into a head on collision. I have never seen anything like that before. 

• Like 4

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I'm this guy:

dccdf0a688efdf61a9bd3516620e61698cd086a4

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Ok, so I finally have a story. 

A guy in cargo shorts resting below his bum, blue boxers with stars and a green shirt riding up his back so his butt was covered by just his boxers was doing some sort of drills yesterday. He was walking up and down the rows of ellipticals, SPRINTING all out through the weight machine area/treadmill area with some side stepping thrown in right before the sprints. Also jumping over any equipment that was in his way. He did this for about a half hour, only stopping to chat up some ellipti-bunnies. 

Everyone held their breath each time he went through, we were all expecting someone with headphones in to step off their treadmill into a head on collision. I have never seen anything like that before. 

PARKOUR!

• Like 1

Whats wrong with sprinting on treadmills!?

I took 8 minutes off my 10k time in 3 months by doing it.

Stomping on the treadmill scares away the bunnies.  So I make sure my mid foot striking makes "lots" of noise.

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

Whats wrong with sprinting on treadmills!?

I took 8 minutes off my 10k time in 3 months by doing it.

Haha I think this guy was sprinting between the rows of treadmills, not ON the treadmill.

• Like 1

Speaking of treadmills, what I used to see at a college gym frequently, unfortunately, was the following. The person who was using the treadmill would get off the treadmill during the cool down time without stopping it. The next person who wanted to use the treadmill would not notice that, step on it, and then immediately fly off of it.

• Like 5

Level "I have no clue" Warrior

Current challenge

Battle log

Speaking of treadmills, what I used to see at a college gym frequently, unfortunately, was the following. The person who was using the treadmill would get off the treadmill during the cool down time without stopping it. The next person who wanted to use the treadmill would not notice that, step on it, and then immediately fly off of it.

That is very assholish.  Hmmm...   :devilish:

• Like 2

Wheymen

sounds like those people were chaotic evil...or just hopin it was the enemy getting on next

• Like 2

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I don't know if it's because of half term or what, but the rugby team that is for some reason allowed to reserve the free weights section of the gym for like 16 hours a week has been worse as of late. The other day I decided to show up at about half 11 as that's when their time reserving the free weights ended, I figured with a 10-15 minute warm up they'd have cleared off by the time I needed a platform, and the gym always gets super busy about 45 minutes after they're due to leave (no doubt people having to postpone their workouts) so I try to get in there between those two times. Anyway, they took about half an hour to actually leave the free weights area, and when they did their were mats lying around, dumbbells strewn across the floor, benches in the way, barbells in places that make no sense, just generally a mess.

About a week ago I emailed the gym to complain about it, and ask if they had any intentions of cutting their hours per day or cutting their days per week or restricting them to, for instance, just 3 of the 6 platforms. I don't expect them to get one email from one member and start making changes, but there's no way I'm the only one who's complained about it. At best I expected a template email saying that my concerns had been noted, but it's been a week and I haven't got any response for them.

Thankfully starting summer I'll be living near a different gym that I can get free membership for. I was going to consider getting a membership to the gym I'm currently at for another year (it's only £210) and maybe using it when I was going to the gym pre-lectures, as it's closer to campus than the gym I'll be primarily using, plus no doubt the equipments better. But on principle alone I don't think Im gonna do it, if they ignore member complaints then I shouldn't be giving them money. No doubt because it's right next to student accommodation and incredibly cheap they don't worry about losing members.

Anyway, /rant, have a good day everyone :)

• Like 3

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

What sort of ridiculous stuff have you overheard that might be a little...misguided.

This happened a few years ago. I was stationed in Camp Pendleton, Ca. My two buddies and I were in the base gym doing Crossfit (they tore down our CF gym and were in the process of building us a new one). Two dudes come in, one is "teaching" his friend about weight lifting.

His buddy looks at us going nuts in the small cramped area that the gym gave us CF'ers and says "What's that they are doing?" "Oh, that's Crossfit...it doesn't work, you won't get strong doing that."

We all three looked at each other and smiled...we knew the fun was about to begin.

Old boy takes his "newbie" to the bench press, and says "Put 250 on, I'll show you how to do this, then we'll back the weights off for you". Weight put on, 3 reps and he barely gets the bar back into the rack. My buddy Jonathan walks over, throws himself onto the vacated bench, grabs the 250 pound bar and racks out 10 reps. re-racks the weight, looks at the dude and says "Yeah, Crossfit doesn't work."

Every exercise they switched to, one of us would take turns going over and blasting the weight "Old boy" was using, more reps than he accomplished, and made him look like a fool in front of "Newbie". Each exercise was punctuated with "Yeah, Crossfit doesn't work."

I don't have anything against traditional weightlifters, I really don't...just don't lie to the new guys.

• Like 4

Lv 2 Human Assassin
Str:4
Dex:3
Sta:2
Con:1
Wis:2
Cha:0
Motto: "Don't give up yet...You've still got a couple of M*therf*ckers to prove wrong!"
Previous Challenge:Challenge 1: Ryan's Quest for Inner Peace

This happened a few years ago. I was stationed in Camp Pendleton, Ca. My two buddies and I were in the base gym doing Crossfit (they tore down our CF gym and were in the process of building us a new one). Two dudes come in, one is "teaching" his friend about weight lifting.

His buddy looks at us going nuts in the small cramped area that the gym gave us CF'ers and says "What's that they are doing?" "Oh, that's Crossfit...it doesn't work, you won't get strong doing that."

We all three looked at each other and smiled...we knew the fun was about to begin.

Old boy takes his "newbie" to the bench press, and says "Put 250 on, I'll show you how to do this, then we'll back the weights off for you". Weight put on, 3 reps and he barely gets the bar back into the rack. My buddy Jonathan walks over, throws himself onto the vacated bench, grabs the 250 pound bar and racks out 10 reps. re-racks the weight, looks at the dude and says "Yeah, Crossfit doesn't work."

Every exercise they switched to, one of us would take turns going over and blasting the weight "Old boy" was using, more reps than he accomplished, and made him look like a fool in front of "Newbie". Each exercise was punctuated with "Yeah, Crossfit doesn't work."

I don't have anything against traditional weightlifters, I really don't...just don't lie to the new guys.

Yeah, that's right, gloves are off!!

521e33ec86b67f5dd317caceaf6df07f.jpg

Your Trolling level 9.5/10  I like it, and we could be friends but

Army.jpg

• Like 3

Wheymen

Well, I used to be in the Army (5 years before I joined the Corps)...can we be friends now?  And I'll accept a score of 9.5 out of 10...no one is perfect.

Yeah, that's right, gloves are off!!

521e33ec86b67f5dd317caceaf6df07f.jpg

Your Trolling level 9.5/10  I like it, and we could be friends but

Army.jpg

• Like 1

Lv 2 Human Assassin
Str:4
Dex:3
Sta:2
Con:1
Wis:2
Cha:0
Motto: "Don't give up yet...You've still got a couple of M*therf*ckers to prove wrong!"
Previous Challenge:Challenge 1: Ryan's Quest for Inner Peace

Well, I used to be in the Army (5 years before I joined the Corps)...can we be friends now?  And I'll accept a score of 9.5 out of 10...no one is perfect.

Deal :)

Wait a minute.  There is an Air Force guy in there.  He must be a retread from some other branch.  Everyone knows that us AF types don't do PT!

- Murphy's Roommate

Aint this the truth, it just makes the Marine at the top that much weaker.  He does have the "holey shit take the picture, I can't hold this for long" look.  Army dude at the bottom looks relaxed.

• Like 1

Wheymen

Wait a minute.  There is an Air Force guy in there.  He must be a retread from some other branch.  Everyone knows that us AF types don't do PT!

- Murphy's Roommate

I resent that remark! Actually i am kind of hoping it is true so that once i go in I want to be one of the fitter guys in there haha

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

So I used to represent that remark about the AF, but now I'm here for a reason.  Moving my kegerator to make room for a deadlift pad in my garage.  Back in the old, bad days you didn't need to be in shape, you just needed to be able to sit and wait until the time came, and then be able to function at a high level, and twist your wrists in the right direction at the right time.  Yes, former missileer here. These days I want to be able to enjoy Colorado, and if I get the chance to go back, contribute more down range.

But, we all know the AF doesn't do PT, so we gotta keep it underground, 'kay?

- Murphy's Roommate

So I just saw some one take 50 grams of creatine in one go! Put the powder in his water bottle, and downed the whole lot! ... I read that the usual does is around 5 grams. That cannot be good for you lol.

• Like 1

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

So I just saw some one take 50 grams of creatine in one go! Put the powder in his water bottle, and downed the whole lot! ... I read that the usual does is around 5 grams. That cannot be good for you lol.

More is ALWAYS better....

/sarc

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)