Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

I do it all the time. I call it COD..compulsive orderly disease

wildross - warriors count tons, not reps

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I think I figured out why crossfit gets mocked sometimes.
. I've seen some cool strong crossfit stuff. This is *not* it.

And WTH do those rubber (?) plates and bar weigh, to do form that bad? I mean, they must be *light as*, if weak people can hold onto the bar with one hand, y'know?

There are tons of videos showing improper form. CF is no different than any other fitness pursuit: some people just do it wrong.

Although, point of fact the mixed grip clean or axle clean is a notoriously difficult strong man event. What they are doing does serve a purpose.

Those rubber plates are probably 10lbs each (the minimum weight for bumper plates)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I think I figured out why crossfit gets mocked sometimes.
. I've seen some cool strong crossfit stuff. This is *not* it.

And WTH do those rubber (?) plates and bar weigh, to do form that bad? I mean, they must be *light as*, if weak people can hold onto the bar with one hand, y'know?

I feel much better about my terrible clean form now..... however bad it is, it is better than that!

Looks like the attack of the resolutionists has come early this year. Lots of new faces wandering around

Tally Sheet for 2019

i've never understood that, if it's past my knees then it's up, there rock all chance of that thing going back down until after lock out

It depends. Going past the thighs is one of the hardest part for some people when doing a conventional deadlift.

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

I find that if I forget and wear shortish shorts (as opposed to my knee length ones that are supposed to be for deadlift day), the bar sticks to the skin on my thighs and I have to shimmy/bounce it off my legs so I can get it up all the way to lockout. It's super annoying when I have to do it, and now that I've mastered remembering to bring the right shoes, my next goal is remembering the right clothes :P

I find that if I forget and wear shortish shorts (as opposed to my knee length ones that are supposed to be for deadlift day), the bar sticks to the skin on my thighs and I have to shimmy/bounce it off my legs so I can get it up all the way to lockout. It's super annoying when I have to do it, and now that I've mastered remembering to bring the right shoes, my next goal is remembering the right clothes :P

Baby powder on the legs will fix that.

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

There are tons of videos showing improper form. CF is no different than any other fitness pursuit: some people just do it wrong.

Although, point of fact the mixed grip clean or axle clean is a notoriously difficult strong man event. What they are doing does serve a purpose.

Those rubber plates are probably 10lbs each (the minimum weight for bumper plates)

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

For me, the funniness/dumbness wasn't just the poor form. It was the crowd of people and trainer/s cheering and applauding and complimenting people on their great form.

And yes, of course people will be people and get things wrong in just about anything. Saw a few hilarious deadlift videos with people practically humping the bar repetitively to get it up, and inching it up their thighs, for example.

Nothing annoys me more than when someone tells me my form is good when it's not. Like learning cleans. My form is a hot mess. I'm okay with that as I learn but don't cheer on my poor form. Oy.

also: overheard in the gym: NOTHING! I got new headphones and they are amazing. They cut out 99.5% (my own statistic) of all outside noise. It's freaking brilliant.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

overheard on the way to the gym at UNLV a couple years ago...

"I think I might go work out."

"Dude, no you can't go to the gym today!"

"why not?"

"There's too many brothers! You're not wearing your colors!"

"oh sh**... I guess i'll have to go tomorrow.."

Go ahead, ask me why I find fraternities to be ridiculous ^^

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

That is truly amazing. Wonder what muscle he thinks he is working..

Tally Sheet for 2019

Wow, that was the weirdest form bench press I've ever .... no... hang on, I saw

I had to stop half way through that video, that was too painful to watch

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Is it common practice to use straps for a pushing movement?

what the eff was that!?

"If what you did yesterday was your best, you haven't done anything today""

Body Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 5'8

Lifting Stats as of Aug 14, 2013
Bench Press: 240 lbs 5RM
Squat: 325 lbs 5RM
Overhead Press: 140lbs 4RM
Deadlift: 345lbs 5RM

When he started with the straps I thought he was going to use a suicide grip but the whole belly bounce thing was ....

Tally Sheet for 2019

This lunchtime I saw someone do 'chin ups' with a range of motion that couldn't have been much more than about 2". It kind of looked like his fingers were glued to the bar whilst someone had lit a fire under his feet.

Got told the other week that you shouldn't do squats and deadlifts in the same week... I neglected to reply with how I squat 3 times a week.. ah well.

This lunchtime I saw someone do 'chin ups' with a range of motion that couldn't have been much more than about 2". It kind of looked like his fingers were glued to the bar whilst someone had lit a fire under his feet.

Got told the other week that you shouldn't do squats and deadlifts in the same week... I neglected to reply with how I squat 3 times a week.. ah well.

next time a mahousive bark of laughter should be sufficient explanation :P

If it was at the top of the chinup, I can understand doing partials. If it was the bottom 2".... I think most people would get more out of doing full negatives.