Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

"Hey, could you give me a hand here?"

Silent rage leads to the Dark Side.

But they have the cooler lightsabers. And the better force powers. ;)

And there was no rage until I realized he was the one that left them in the first place (after I had re-racked everything). I'm perfectly okay with people not helping me clean up something that I'm going to use, since help is usually accompanied by "you're so small; are you sure you can lift that?"

• Like 1

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

I've got big calves. I don't know how or why. I've always had them. It's a double edged sword - on one hand, I love being able to easily calf raise 150kg with about twelve full repetitions. On the other hand, I hate it when people look at my calves and make comments. I know - I am retarded. 

"How the f*** did you get those calves?" asks bro. 

"I really don't know. I've always had them." I respond to bro. 

"The next time you train legs, let me know bro! Serious man." bro replies.

Me: "I only squat and do the prowler for my legs. Dead lifts too I guess."

Bro: "I don't squat." 

Me: "Why's that?"

Bro: "Chicks don't look at your legs." 

Me: "Apparently men do instead?" 

I don't understand why he was asking me about leg training when... he kinda answered himself as to why he doesn't do it? 

That's not totally true I had an ex tell me she thought my calves were sexy when she first checked me out. Silly Bros. 

When you're that unbalanced, everyone checks out your legs. :D

I was in a park for a event I was doing with some other librarians (male and female) and one of them pointed out a dude going by with ginormous arms and skinny legs. "Somebody's been skipping leg day," I said. They agreed and the guy amongst us thought the bro's arms were bigger than his legs.

• Like 1

someone said that when he was complaing about using the hack squat and how much he hated it- and I was like everyone likes ass!!!

he goes- no that's for chicks.

I was like- I love a good squat ass on a guy- that shit is sexy.

I hate guys with scrawny ass legs and huge arms- it's so ridiculous.  Plus helloooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwmobility!!!!

Yeah I can't stand the look of that stereotype either, where guys have massive upper bodies and little legs.

Some guys try to give me crap that my legs are bigger than my arms. This to me makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. 

From a martial arts/self defense perspective - ever get in trouble with a guy who has tiny legs? Go for his legs.

Tell him you'll correct his breathing with a kick to the nuts.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Tell him you'll correct his breathing with a kick to the nuts.

This. Do this.

Also, does anyone know what exercise this is? Dude had an ez-curl bar (maybe 20 lbs?), laid down on the floor, put his arm on one of the benches, and slightly moved his wrists as fast as possible. Is that to increase wrist strength? I can't imagine you'd need to isolate your wrists that much (mine hurt just thinking about it), but I wanted to see if anyone knew. I feel bad for gawking at him between my sets, but I had never seen anyone do something like that before. He was also wearing jeans.

Lvl. 3 Gnome

Tumblr

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

Oh I definitely see the top-heavy, skinny-legs guys all the time. For that matter, the machines and dumbbell are always being used, but I almost never see anyone else in the racks. Which I guess makes it easier for me to get in and do my thing, but it still makes me sad.

Also, my new gym has an awesome back room, complete with a crossfit area, tires for flipping, sledgehammers, battling ropes, and a prowler. There is also a cardio section. I always see people on the elliptical/treadmill, but have yet to see anyone use the other equipment (except a couple of crossfitters who mostly use the barbell).

This. Do this.

Also, does anyone know what exercise this is? Dude had an ez-curl bar (maybe 20 lbs?), laid down on the floor, put his arm on one of the benches, and slightly moved his wrists as fast as possible. Is that to increase wrist strength? I can't imagine you'd need to isolate your wrists that much (mine hurt just thinking about it), but I wanted to see if anyone knew. I feel bad for gawking at him between my sets, but I had never seen anyone do something like that before. He was also wearing jeans.

Wrist curls, increases wrist strength and size.With the weight he was using I'm betting he's trying to get big ol forearms.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I can think of at least 2 other ways to achieve the same results- and they are a HELL of a lot more fun.

Bahahahahaha. I'm so glad no one else was in my office when I read that. But, really, so much more fun.

Lvl. 3 Gnome

Tumblr

- Walt Disney

seeing some douche in underarmour doing bar curls and BTB wrist curls in the only squat rack in the 'gym' was the reason i left my old 'gym'... that and the fact that they moved everything round to fit in a couple of crappy machines thereby taking up all my deadlifting/cleaning/snatching/2-hands-anyhow/ohp etc etc etc space. didn't do back squats that day i decided to show the sheeple some rarity (for there) and just got on with cleans and zercher squats

I can think of at least 2 other ways to achieve the same results- and they are a HELL of a lot more fun.

Yeah, but it takes a whole lot fewer sets for fatigue to start creeping in.

500 / 330 / 625