Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Yeah living in Vegas you see this all the time. Damn you Cirque du Soleil. Can't a bro get a pump without seeing some distracting acrobatic shit in the mirror.

That's amazing! I don't think I'd get much working out done initially.  Free shows!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I always want to have the exact equation as well.  The only reason I haven't done it is that I don't know the mass distribution of an olympic bar (how much in the bar, how much in the sleeves). If I had that, I'd have done it by now.

Same here.  mmm...free body diagrams...

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Same here.  mmm...free body diagrams...

I know right! We never actually get to do them in real life! If I could find a position that pays as much as mine does that just involved me figuring out free body diagrams all day, I would be happy in my job the rest of my life.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

All.the.time.  It's pretty irritating, really.  I AM NOT A FREAK SHOW! Stop watching me and do your own workouts, damnit. 

but I also live in the south where there are no rules of etiquette regarding staring at women. You have lady bits? You go anywhere and people will gawk. It's mind blowingly annoying.

I've been going to gyms for years.  People people watch when they are lifting. It's rare someone is flat out gawking.  And my first comment to most people is get the fuck over yourself- mostly because- if you lift things- then you put them down- you watch people or you dick with your phone- that's what people do. 

They do that to EVERYONE- it isn't something special about anyone usually.  I check out chicks and guys all the time.  I think this notion that guys constantly are checking out chicks because they are in the free weights section is absurd.  They check out chicks all the time- everywhere.  This is nothing new or special.

I've been going to gyms for years.  People people watch when they are lifting. It's rare someone is flat out gawking.  And my first comment to most people is get the fuck over yourself- mostly because- if you lift things- then you put them down- you watch people or you dick with your phone- that's what people do. 

They do that to EVERYONE- it isn't something special about anyone usually.  I check out chicks and guys all the time.  I think this notion that guys constantly are checking out chicks because they are in the free weights section is absurd.  They check out chicks all the time- everywhere.  This is nothing new or special.

When I was in the gym I only checked out girls that were in the free weights section.  Treadmill ladies got a brief glance at best.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm glad that's your experience.  I've also been going to gyms for years and have a different experience.  At my gym it is not rare to get gawkers. At all. I"m hardly the only person they stare at. And I didn't say anything about me being anything special.  But they stare. A lot. And if you're scanning the room and focus on me for 20 seconds--ok. But if you're watching me for the entirety of my set, we have a problem, b/c I am here to workout and I don't need you standing by the bro curl racks watching me.  Mind your own fucking business.

And no one said it was new or different.  Just annoying. Which it is. Regardless of where, when, or why. 

When I was in the gym I only checked out girls that were in the free weights section.  Treadmill ladies got a brief glance at best.

Ha, no lie.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

I always want to have the exact equation as well.  The only reason I haven't done it is that I don't know the mass distribution of an olympic bar (how much in the bar, how much in the sleeves). If I had that, I'd have done it by now.

Well if you ever get the urge to tear down your bar for a good cleaning you should take some emasurements :) 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Well if you ever get the urge to tear down your bar for a good cleaning you should take some emasurements :)

Don't even need that really. I could assume 3 separate masses, 2 of them known to be equal, and just do some force/weight measurements with different points sitting at the pivot point.  It would really only take 1 beyond the basic weight measurement... I might do this this weekend if I'm bored.

500 / 330 / 625

Don't even need that really. I could assume 3 separate masses, 2 of them known to be equal, and just do some force/weight measurements with different points sitting at the pivot point.  It would really only take 1 beyond the basic weight measurement... I might do this this weekend if I'm bored.

And this is why I love nerds.

Also, today 3 out of the 4 people in the gym watched my 1x10 155 DLs. It was...kinda nerve-wracking.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

How do you even know if someone's watching you while you lift?? I'm too busy you know- LIFTING!

yes yes I know there are mirrors- but I seriously am not paying ANY attention to them.  I KNOW everyone is watching me squat and dead lift... that's a given.  But I don't physically see them- I'm just not looking. 

Yup, mirrors. Sometimes I see it. Sometimes when I rack the weight they're still watching and we do that weird eye contact thing.  And sometimes when I'm setting up, there they are. Very visible.  And sometimes they are across the gym and I don't notice them... until I get home and see them creepin' on my form check vids. 

I'm glad you enjoy being the center of attention in that regard, but I'm the kind of nerd that wants to be one with the woodwork. So, I don't want them watching, no matter what their intention.

I didn't say I enjoyed being the center of attention- don't put words in my mouth.  I'm just saying it is what it is. 

I'm there to work. So I work. I don't have a problem being friends with people or staring someone down.   

I bellydance there too- in the aerobics room- people watch me there as well.  It is what it is.  

I don't get angry about it. Ultimately if you don't want people looking at you- don't go to a gym- cause people people watch there. 

It can be super creepy though. Like I'll watch people out of the corner of my eye or catch glimpses of them...but when you're standing 5 ft from the barbell and blatantly watching me and not doing their workout. It just psyches me out.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Okay, I'll rephrase:  "I'm glad you don't MIND being the center of attention in that regard." 

But I'm still going to go to the gym.  Just like I'm going to go to the store, or for walks around downtown  on my lunch hour.  Annoyances happen and it's reasonable to admit they are annoying but life isn't black and white.

It can be super creepy though. Like I'll watch people out of the corner of my eye or catch glimpses of them...but when you're standing 5 ft from the barbell and blatantly watching me and not doing their workout. It just psyches me out.

But Mir! Those quadz

6d840ccd57e149cf8597dfca9ff2ee39-creepy-

Sometimes I watch people do their sets while I'm resting, but my I tend to think my gym doesn't play by normal rules because the equipment is like 60% squat racks and the rest benches, pull up bars, tires, KBs, Prowler, old rower, etc.  And lots of matting for deadlifts/oly lifts.  And people are all friendly with each other.

• Like 1

I am what I do.

^Yerp.  I really need to find one near me. I wish I now lived where I grew up, 15 minutes from Iron Sport.  Just found out today one of the people there is on the JTS team...

edit: Look at their banner! I wanna workout there... http://www.ironsport.com/

500 / 330 / 625

^Yerp.  I really need to find one near me. I wish I now lived where I grew up, 15 minutes from Iron Sport.  Just found out today one of the people there is on the JTS team...

edit: Look at their banner! I wanna workout there... http://www.ironsport.com/

So spacious....

Also have to love their classic Planet Fitness parody commercial:

• Like 1

I am what I do.

yeah, the parady commercial is so awesome. Looking back on it, I should have driven the extra 10-15 minutes every day to work out here last fall/winter.  I could have learned a ton. 30 minutes each way is just so much for the gym. I got pricing from Steve (giant bald guy in the video, gym owner) for 1 off training sessions at $75 a piece.  Probably gonna day pass the place a few times at $10 a pop and decide if it's worth it.

500 / 330 / 625

Ok, newest pet peeve. 3 big out of shape guys go into the area next to me to do deadlifts. Which is cool - I'm glad to see anybody training. But, they load up 3 plates on each side, do a bunch of sets, and then leave the barbell with weights still on. Along with other plates scattered around the area. This was super annoying, because I was also planning on doing deadlifts, and assumed at first that they would be coming back. Nope. They left all their crap there, despite the signs all over the gym asking people to put away their weights. And despite, you know, common sense and courtesy.

This is like the 5th time I've seen someone do this. Really people? We're not impressed by how much you just lifted. We're annoyed that we now have to put all your crap away.

Meh, happens at every gym. I just started looking at putting their shit away as a warm up. I've actually said something to repeat offenders that I've seen back when I was going to a gym.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

500 / 330 / 625

What I don't get is the people who have no idea what they are doing to their body. I went to the gym yesterday, normally it is empty when I go (8 am at my college gym) but was full of bros yesterday. W/e.

Anyways, two of them were standing in the smith machine, put two 45 lb plates on each side of the bar, stood over, and started pulling it towards their chest (bent-over rows). When they were done and started walking away, first comments "I felt that right here" as he points to his lower back, base of the spine. I figured second would correct him and tell him something is wrong. Nope. Second comments "Good, the more it hurts there the more you're doing it right." O.o

Meh, happens at every gym. I just started looking at putting their shit away as a warm up. I've actually said something to repeat offenders that I've seen back when I was going to a gym.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

I try to do this. I hate loading and unloading the bar at this point though - I feel like it's just wasted energy that I'd rather spend on MOAR DEADLIFTS.

• Like 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8