Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

people think I'm crazy with how much I walk around barefoot- like actually barefoot- but I'm a dancer- we do barefoot things- so it is what it is!!!

I love it. Can't stand anything other than sky high heels- tennis shoes are useless. 

I've considered wearing my Vibrams to work (did it in my old office). I have KSO's, so they're black and go unnoticed a lot of the time until people walk with me and realize I have a wierd stride.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've considered wearing my Vibrams to work (did it in my old office). I have KSO's, so they're black and go unnoticed a lot of the time until people walk with me and realize I have a wierd stride.

I wear mine (i've got see-yas bright yellow accents) to my office on the weekends. If I wore them during the work week I would get a lot of weird stares. Hell I get stares now when I wear my red chucks to the office. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I wear mine (i've got see-yas bright yellow accents) to my office on the weekends. If I wore them during the work week I would get a lot of weird stares. Hell I get stares now when I wear my red chucks to the office. 

You're doing it wrong.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

There's this friendly dude at the gym - the one who likes to interrupt my sets - who feels it necessary to correct EVERYTHING I'm doing wrong. Breathing? Check. And he makes sure to mention it. Back rounding on the last 2 of a 10-rep set of heavy DLs? He makes sure to point it out. I'm not an idiot here, dude - I can feel it.

He also wants me to rest less in between sets (30-60s) and to do a light enough weight so I don't have to pause in between reps. This is the same guy that tried to get me to do TnG on bench press. I think the next time he says something I'm going to smile, nod, and tell him I have a program/someone I am working with because this shit is getting ridiculous. He's nice enough but you don't see me correcting his form and shit.

• Like 1

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

So spacious....

Also have to love their classic Planet Fitness parody commercial:

bahahahaha!!!  I totally lol'd in my library.  that's an awesome response vid.  :D

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Everyone, stop making me want VFFs.  I do want to find good minimalist shoes that would be office appropriate.  My work shoes could use being replaced and I stand at my desk a lot in them.  

There's this friendly dude at the gym - the one who likes to interrupt my sets - who feels it necessary to correct EVERYTHING I'm doing wrong. Breathing? Check. And he makes sure to mention it. Back rounding on the last 2 of a 10-rep set of heavy DLs? He makes sure to point it out. I'm not an idiot here, dude - I can feel it.

He also wants me to rest less in between sets (30-60s) and to do a light enough weight so I don't have to pause in between reps. This is the same guy that tried to get me to do TnG on bench press. I think the next time he says something I'm going to smile, nod, and tell him I have a program/someone I am working with because this shit is getting ridiculous. He's nice enough but you don't see me correcting his form and shit.

Definitely tell him this, because you do have someone you're working with.  Unless he'd like to match minds with jdanger.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Everyone, stop making me want VFFs.  I do want to find good minimalist shoes that would be office appropriate.  My work shoes could use being replaced and I stand at my desk a lot in them.  

Merrell Trail Gloves. Probably the best multipurose office appropriate barefoot shoe. I use em for CF and sometimes to wear at the office. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

What? You mean not every engineer works over the weekends? o.O

The only time I work on the weekends is extended testing that would require me to travel home then back across the county the following week. It's happened 3 times, I just avoided doing it for 4 weeks in Texas because of my SSS party and a wedding I was in.

Screams hypertrophy focus.  Calmly explain to him why it doesn't make sense for pure strength gains.

500 / 330 / 625

LOL 

new guy at my gym- wears running shorts (like marathon/sprinter Olympian style ones) so short when he sits his boxers are CLEARLY visbile- by like 5" or so...

grabs the stability/balance ball.  50 lb ez-curl bar bell- walks his feet out- plants bar on hips and starts doing weight bridge lifts....

in those tiny little shorts that wouldn't even cover ONE of my ass cheeks.

MAN that guy is confident.  He fucking rocks that shit like he gives NO fuck... I want to be embarrassed for him- but he's a cool dude LOL.  So wahtever- go on with your bad self- just wipe down your equipment!

• Like 1

Definitely tell him this, because you do have someone you're working with.  Unless he'd like to match minds with jdanger.

Have you seen any of Soft Star's shoes?

http://www.softstarshoes.com/'>homepage

http://www.softstarshoes.com/adult-shoes/dash-runamoc-all-smooth-black.html

Level 1 Wood Elf Assassin

str 5  dex 3 sta 2

con 2 wis 3 cha 2

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/29945-jarjars-moving-up-in-the-world-challenge/]My Challenge

Screams hypertrophy focus.  Calmly explain to him why it doesn't make sense for pure strength gains.

Haha, right?

I did say something about hypertrophy to him, and he was like, "What?" Dude doesn't even know what hypertrophy is. sigh.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Guest CyborgNinja

This entire thread is why I'm glad to do 10% lifting and 90% calisthenics focus.

Nobody will dick with you or try to correct you when you're doing some oddball bodyweight move they can't do.

Does anyone have a name for this lift?  This guy deadlifts what looked like 185#, bent his knees until the bar was at about mid-thigh, explodes up into a shrug, holds a couple of seconds, then repeats from the bent knees.

I want to call them push shrugs, a la the push press.

Paladin Aspirant

Level 3

STR: 13   DEX: 3  STA: 9  CON: 9.33   WIS: 6.66   CHA: 6

MyFitnessPal

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth

I could totally use those!

Link, please?

burlington coat factory check out line??  LOL

I actually put them on- and they clashed- so I took them off :(

need to find a new place for them in my closet- if not I"ll mail them to you. I was a sad panda. 

More of a frustrated rant than a funny story here.

My wife and I use to go the Family Y. There were numerous reasons we stopped going, but chief among them for me was the machine room (I had actually gotten to MUCH prefer the weight room; I was already growing up!). Not only was it ALWAYS crowded, but at all hours of the day there were little old people (or LOPs as we called them) camping on all the machines. They would do a set, chat for about 30 minutes with their friends, and then do another set. I'm not kidding; one day I finished my entire workout while just waiting to get on the machine I was supposed to do first.

Now, I know this sounds terribly ageist. I don't mean it to be. But, seriously: not all of us are retirees who have literally all day to get our workout done. Some of us have a schedule. I think it's great that people stay healthy and active into their advanced age. It's really cool to see guys old enough to be my grandfather in better shape than I've ever been in my life. 

But please--remember the other gym users. Do your sets and move on. Chat with your buddies in the smoothie shop.

Now, for my funny story.

Back when I was in college, I had a membership to Gold's Gym. Oh, the stories I can tell.

1. The personal trainer who would only accept female clients. Come to find out, rumor has it, he would accept...in kind..payments for the fee.

2. The guy who would only work out on machines where lots of women were nearby.

3. The guy who would always be there, dressed for a work-out, but never worked out. Never. He would stand around the machines, talk to his friends (bros, I guess) and was in pretty good shape, but I never saw him lift a weight. Never. He was there at all hours of the day--morning, noon, and night--and never so much as got on a treadmill.

4. The tanorexics with implants.

5. And, possibly, my absolute favorite, the guy who would come in, go to the free weights, load up a bar with an insane amount of weight, stand in front of it and talk himself up for like, five full minutes on the clock, deadlift it once whilst shouting some kind of barbarian war call, drop it on the ground, then spend another five minutes verbally high-fiving himself. Then, he would leave.

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

yeah they aren't remarkably difficult to find. You just have to be looking out for them. They pop up in the weirdest places. 

Overheard in the gym story for today- was more like an "overseen" in the gym

Very deeply saddened by not being creepy enough to take a pictures.

Bosu ball- round side down.

guy dead lifting off of it- something like over 150 lbs- I know there were at LEAST 45's on each side- + 25's.  I couldn't get close enough to see how much it was without being creepy.  Round back- the whole time. 

I was blown away. I had to stop what I was doing... I kept expecting a disc or two to come shooting out of his back at high velocity.

His woman- was on the smith machine doing those weird feet super far out so you can get depth kind of squats- she sounded like she was O-ing the whole time.  Moan moan moan moan. 

I was embarassed for her.