Forums are back in action! ×

What to do on days off

I currently work out every two days and take an additional day off when the weather is crummy or working out just doesn't fit into my daily schedule. However, I feel like I'm being lazy when I do have time to do things on my day off and I'm not working out. I'm wondering what other people do on their days in between weight exercises. Ideally, I'd like to start running, but I've read mixed opinions on whether it's a good idea to run the day after a workout. I'm thinking that maybe I should be stretching and/or doing some other form of cardio. I'm also thinking that maybe I should rotate weights, yoga, and running every 3 days and just take days off as necessary. Or, maybe I should do a 4-day rotation of weights, yoga, weights, running.

So, what do you do? Do you relax? Do you stretch? Do yoga? Run? Swim? Try to be specific with what you do because I might just decide to do that too and I need to know what I'm doing. :)

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

Currently I'm training for a 10 mile run in 8 weeks (can't believe its that close, gonna die) so I lift 3 days and run on the days in between. I plan to have 2 short runs (2-3 miles) and 1 long run (4-8 miles) a week, though it hasn't happened yet. The day after the long run is a real rest day. If I wasn't training for the running, I'd probably relax or do a bunch of body weight exercises. One of my favorites is 10 rounds of 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 20 squats.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

On my days "off" I still usually am doing something active. I like to go on day hikes in Yosemite (I live like, an hour away), bowling is fun, batting cages, yard work, tan/read (weather permiting), climbing (an indoor climbing gym just opened in town), skiing/snowboarding (in winter when I have the extra money), the beach (family still lives near Pismo so I don't need a place to stay), dog park with my dog niece. As far as more passive activities: Art galleries, live jazz music, movies, catch up on reading, videogames.

I'd actually like to start to try Geocaching. I've got a few friends who do that and love it, I'm sure that would go along great with my love of hiking. Hope this gave you a few ideas! :D

|
|

"Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done."

"I can only be beaten in two ways: If I give up or if I die."

I don't really have rest days anymore.

Closest are Wednesdays, where I walk 2 miles at lunch, and do some light barefoot running, practice high difficulty exercises and work in the extreme low rep area near 1RM, and work on static holds (plus pullups), and Sundays, where I do 90 minutes of Yoga. I don't really get too sore either of those days.

Then again, Tuesdays and Thursdays, where I run ~5k and walk 2 miles at lunch, have pretty much become breaks as well. It is hard work while running, but I don't really get sore from 5K runs anymore.

If anything my recovery has improved as I've moved to doing something every day. I don't run back to back and I don't do any strength training back to back.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Depending on the time of the year, my days off are playing in a Volleyball league (good exercise), a Kickball league (bad exercise since its primarily beer curls), and now I have people trying to get me to join a Bocce Ball league (not at all exercise). I mostly try to rest, but have felt the need to try and fit in occasional HIIT or something. Other than that, I do hit the Iron Gym between my bedroom and living room every time I pass under it whether it is a rest day or not.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Currently I'm training for a 10 mile run in 8 weeks (can't believe its that close, gonna die) so I lift 3 days and run on the days in between. I plan to have 2 short runs (2-3 miles) and 1 long run (4-8 miles) a week, though it hasn't happened yet. The day after the long run is a real rest day. If I wasn't training for the running, I'd probably relax or do a bunch of body weight exercises. One of my favorites is 10 rounds of 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 20 squats.

I'm doing almost exactly this, except for I moved the rest day before my long run instead of after - made the long run waaaaay easier.

I clean the house and do other light labor around my house on my off day. Laundry, sweeping, vacuuming etc.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

I'm doing almost exactly this, except for I moved the rest day before my long run instead of after - made the long run waaaaay easier.

Does your lifting the day after the long run suffer at all? I put the rest day after for this reason, but if it doesn't struggle, I may switch it around.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Cleaning my house on my off days feels like a workout (I keep meaning to track how many miles I end up walking) but I have gotten into skateboarding, and that is something I do on off days. Biking around town, going for a swim, a walk, hike, try out a fitness class that you've never done. I also play my kinect on my off days. Just find something fun that has you moving around.

I like to mix it up with going to the gym, zumba or indoor rock climbing. This summer I'm going to start roller blading with my friend too so that might be a nice evening after work activity!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Does your lifting the day after the long run suffer at all? I put the rest day after for this reason, but if it doesn't struggle, I may switch it around.

It hasn't to this point, but I'm pretty early in my lifting regimen (something like 3rd or 4th week of starting strength). I've been running for a while now, so I have a better sense of tired vs fresh legs for running as opposed to lifting. Being so early in the lifting regimen, the weights are still comparatively light (last session was 125 Squat, 185 Deadlift at 175 BW), so that may account for the lifts feeling easier after running vs the other way around. Certainly YMMV with the heavier weights.

When it's a day off, it's a day of rest. So rest. That is the very best thing you can do for your recovery and performance. So if you really feel like doing some kind of exercise, make sure it's not enough that you're going to be sore on your workout day.

I get that I shouldn't be putting excessive strain on my muscles, but I am just looking for something to get the blood flowing to the muscles to help recovery. That's why stretching, yoga, and running (I'm just starting out running, so short distances) came up.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

I work out 5 days a week, so my off days are really off days. If I missed a day during the week, I might go for a run (a couple miles either easy jog or Fartlek), but that's rare. I usually grease the groove (squats, pistols, pushups) on my days off, because I feel lazy if I don't do anything at all, but I rarely schedule any activity. When the weather gets nice, I go hiking or just wander (get that vitamin D!).

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I don't really have rest days anymore.

Closest are Wednesdays, where I walk 2 miles at lunch, and do some light barefoot running, practice high difficulty exercises and work in the extreme low rep area near 1RM, and work on static holds (plus pullups), and Sundays, where I do 90 minutes of Yoga. I don't really get too sore either of those days.

Then again, Tuesdays and Thursdays, where I run ~5k and walk 2 miles at lunch, have pretty much become breaks as well. It is hard work while running, but I don't really get sore from 5K runs anymore.

If anything my recovery has improved as I've moved to doing something every day. I don't run back to back and I don't do any strength training back to back

I love your workouts/weeks/"rest days" you just seem so motivated to keep going and I love it!!

Anything is possible for him who believes. (Mark 9:23)
"The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid." -Marcus Aurelius
Current challenge
My Training
STR-10 DEX-6 STA-9 CON-4 WIS-16.5 CHA-5

Cleaning my house on my off days feels like a workout (I keep meaning to track how many miles I end up walking) but I have gotten into skateboarding, and that is something I do on off days. Biking around town, going for a swim, a walk, hike, try out a fitness class that you've never done. I also play my kinect on my off days. Just find something fun that has you moving around.

This post is the reason why I am currently bidding on, and winning a kite surfing buggy and two boards. Eek!

My thought process went "Hey, cool, skateboarding!" > "I want to do it off-road" > Google > "mountainboards" > "Not having feet strapped in (recipe for disaster)" > Google some more > find kiteboards suitable for off road skateboarding (i hope!) but come in a package with other stuff >shrug and bid

I'll let you know how it goes!!

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard