Forums are back in action! ×

In ear headphones that can handle getting sweaty.

I've got through three pairs of these somewhat fancy in-ear headphones in as many months... I bought three at once because it was a great deal, I wasn't stupid enough to go back three times.

What ones do you use and have they held up well?

I'm a bit obsessive about sound but I'd probably only be using them in the gym/ when running so the main issue is durability over anything else...

I should also add that I sweat a lot...

The skull candy ones work well for me. They are about $10 a pair and they come with three different bud sizes to stay in your ear. The ear pieces themselves are rubber, so they should hold up pretty well.

Th sound quality is pretty good as well.

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

I don't know what your budget is like, but I don't know what I ever did before I got custom IEMs. They seal to your ear canal, so sweat doesn't get in there while you are working out - and because they fit exactly, I don't ever get ear fatigue. They were (very) pricy, but I don't regret it for a second.

I got mine from JH Audio, but there are a number of manufacturers out there.

Skullcandy has worked for me as well. I have a pair of the Fix buds that are designed to stay in your ear, and they're great in the gym. They tend to slip a bit when I'm running, but they've worked better than any others I've had so far.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Try a pair of Sony's J10 earphones. They are not in-ear, but they sure as hell can take sweat and don't fall off. My last set broke a week ago, after a year an a half of constant abuse (running, hiking, gym, etc).

I second this. They might not be the absolute best in terms of sound, but they do good for my workout purposes and I have never had problems with them

Level 4 Secret Agent Assassin

STR - 5  DEX - 4  STA - 6  CON - 4  WIS - 10  CHA - 7

6 Week Challenge - Mission 160

Sony has about 3 or 4 different Active pair of headphones. (I use to work for them) the J10s are on the lower end of quality, but they have a couple of better sounding ones. I personally use an MP3 player headphone set called NWZ-W262 (they might have a different model number in the states or across the seas).

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666364229

They have been working great! well worth the 69.99 (a lot of the time it has $10-20 sale)

Edit New info:

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666412401

OHHH new headphones!! these guys are amazing design! brand new headphones with amazing quality! anyway now that fanboy is out of the way....

So these headphones use a really cool new driver, that uses a different driver for each level of sound. Ie. highs, mediums, lows and bass. really neat stuff.

If your looking for non-sony beats are good for sound (but not cheap), skull canady are cheap but not to bad, try to avoid ones that use volume controls(those always break fast). For working out ones that go over the ear are almost useless, in ear buds are the best for that.

Thanks for the info on the Active Sony ones, they're they kind of thing I'm after I think although my experience with Sony in-ears hasn't been fantastic overall, may invest in some come pay day.

There's something I've always disliked about beats despite not trying their in ear ones, skull candy are a bit too cheap for my liking... Usually I've stuck with Sennheisers (plus one or two Shures or Sonys) for iPod use with Grado SR80s for home use, I'm not sure why I've become so particular about my headphones.

I've just checked and those Sony ones aren't available in the UK at the moment, that's frustrating.

I went with a Sony Walkman (mp3 player not just earbuds) - http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/sony-nwz-w252-review-or-something-slightly-more-witty/ Inexpensive, sweat resistant, and best of all no cords to deal with when you are trying to move!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I've had skullcandy earbuds, they lasted me a few years before one side died, but I always had a problem with them falling out when sweaty. Now I've got a set of Phillips earbuds (the model where speaker is visibile on the outside), they never fall out and sound better. They were only a couple bucks more than the cheap skullcandy ones.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I've been using Sennheiser CX380 Sport Series II Noise Isolating Earbuds ($43 on amazon) for more than a year, and they're great. They're water/sweat resistant, and have a little clip to secure the slack cord to your shirt. I wear glasses, which interfere with the around the ear types.

I have AfterShokz headphones. They are designed after US military technology and sit in front of the ear allowing you to hear everything around you plus your music. It's pretty awesome. I would recommend them to anyone but they are a little pricey at $60. they do have life time warranty though.

http://www.aftershokz.com/Bone-Conduction-Headphones-AfterShokz-s/1818.htm

Transformassacre Challenge

Current Goal: Weigh in at 200lbs or lower by May 2nd

Current Specs: 205lbs, ?? body fat (April 12th 2012)

Long term Goal:

-Meet a body fat percentage of 10% or lower by Sept 1st

-Be able to finish

Tough Mudder on Sept 8th

I have AfterShokz headphones. They are designed after US military technology and sit in front of the ear allowing you to hear everything around you plus your music. It's pretty awesome. I would recommend them to anyone but they are a little pricey at $60. they do have life time warranty though.

http://www.aftershokz.com/Bone-Conduction-Headphones-AfterShokz-s/1818.htm

Those seem really cool, but when i'm at the gym I usually don't want to hear people or gym noises. I'd like to have them for long bike rides it would be nice to have music and be able to hear people on the bike paths

Well I guess it's only life, it's only natural We all spend a little while going down the rabbit hole

Try a pair of Sony's J10 earphones. They are not in-ear, but they sure as hell can take sweat and don't fall off. My last set broke a week ago, after a year an a half of constant abuse (running, hiking, gym, etc).

I'll 2nd MrHyde about the Sony J10. Had mine for about 6 months now. No issues what-so-ever.

I have been using Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10s....love these things, but they are a little more expensive than some others that have been suggested. To me, IEMs are the way to go and these have the memory wire that wraps around the ears. IMO, as long as you get a solid seal with your tips, sweat won't be too big an issue. I did get some sweat in one of them once that caused it to stop working. Per Ultimate Ears, I just left them sitting out to dry overnight and the next day, it worked just fine. I've been using them in the gym for the past 8-10 months.

I also have an older pair of UE Super.fi 4s that I've modified a bit that I may start using for the gym in place of the more expensive Triple.fi's.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I have been using Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10s....love these things, but they are a little more expensive than some others that have been suggested. To me, IEMs are the way to go and these have the memory wire that wraps around the ears. IMO, as long as you get a solid seal with your tips, sweat won't be too big an issue. I did get some sweat in one of them once that caused it to stop working. Per Ultimate Ears, I just left them sitting out to dry overnight and the next day, it worked just fine. I've been using them in the gym for the past 8-10 months.

I also have an older pair of UE Super.fi 4s that I've modified a bit that I may start using for the gym in place of the more expensive Triple.fi's.

Ooh - you're only a hair away from the customs! Do it! Dooooo it!

Actually, you can actually get your existing TF10s reshelled into a custom mold for like 90 bucks - I know Fisher Hearing does this (here's a rundown on that), there's a few others too. I can't say enough what a huge difference custom molds made for me.

Ooh - you're only a hair away from the customs! Do it! Dooooo it!

Actually, you can actually get your existing TF10s reshelled into a custom mold for like 90 bucks - I know Fisher Hearing does this (here's a rundown on that), there's a few others too. I can't say enough what a huge difference custom molds made for me.

HAHA!! Looks like we venture into similar forums! I've been wanting to do that for sometime now! The reshelling will give me what I'm after without paying out for the true customs.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*