Forums are back in action! ×

It's Great To Be A Man

Anyway, the thing I like most about being a man is this how upfront confrontations between friends are.

</delurk>And this is EXACTLY why I like hanging out with guys. They just get the s*** over with and move on.

It is interesting how much more into having kids the mens forum is than the womens.....

I've wanted kids strongly since college. Getting used to the grind of adult working life only made it stronger, kids become the vessel of hopes and dreams that "when I grow up" used to be, whether you have them already or want them.

I've been thinking about mentioning it in there, but I didn't want to be the one to copy EVERYTHING from you guys. When I was in high school thinking about college and what I wanted to do with my life, the only thing I could think of that I really wanted with my life was to be a mom. So it's not for lack of wanting to be a parent that it's not mentioned there :)

This is so much harder to do than you might imagine. Although I think my parents did a great job of raising me, in their own way, I SWORE that I would never be like them and that I wouldn't raise my own kids in the same manner. But when pressed (i.e. in the real world, struggling to balance family, job, commute, house, financial stress, etc.) I ended up basically turning into my parents. It's amazing how much you unwittingly model the behavior your were exposed to when young... That said, kudos for wanting better for your own kids - if/when you have them. As long as you make this a priority when the time comes, you can and will succeed. I know because my dad had a pretty rought childhood, and he managed to avoid perpetuating almost all of the bad stuff that he went through.

You're right, I've seen it happen again and again. I, for one, would be thrilled to be as good a parent as mine are. They definitely tore a few leaves out of the parenting book my grandparents handed them though. I guess it's sort of unrealistic to be completely unlike your parents, but you can pick a few specific things that you'd like to copy or avoid I suppose.

I feel really lucky where this is concerned. My dad was pushing 40 when I was born, so I was definitely at risk for having an old man dad. Fortunately he has the spirit of a 1 year old labrador retriever when if comes to being active, and he's still out there crushing it (in his own special way) at almost 70. Seriously, he curls 6 days a week all winter, sometimes more than once a day, and golfs almost as much in the summer. Pretty inspiring.

I feel lucky too! My mom turned 41 about a week after I was born and my dad was 43. They've always been very active in their lifestyle (they live in rural Alaska still) and I'm lucky to have a dad going on 70 this year that can still go out hunting and fishing easily. And a 67-y-o mom who still rocks the subsistence lifestyle and is down with going on long road trips and will hop in a kayak if you offer it. *blessed*</lurk>

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

My son has an absolutely nonstop motor and has no fear of hurting himself (not really a good thing). He's still a shaky walker, but that doesn't stop him from trying to run (and invariably faceplanting after a few steps). Climbing is his new favorite game and he can now do table pullups (which means pretty much much anywhere in the house is explorable, at least he can't do muscle ups yet and get on the table). When we are amongst other kids his age, he's always the most active one. I'm pretty sure that he's going to be a crazy bouncing off the wall little boy here soon, dad is going to need to be in insane shape to keep up.

Looks like we got a new Jasper Benincasa. :P

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

My second kid was like that. The day AFTER she learned how to walk, I left the room for a minute. I came back, and she was ON the kitchen table, just... eating butter. Totally happy.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Guest Snake McClain

i'm not sure being a man in modern society has a positive connoatation. i'm going to pretend it does and try to think of something i love about being a man...

...yeah i can't think of anything. You guys apparently rock because i can't think of $#!%. lol

Besides the aforementioned sitting with a friend or cruising around with a friend and not saying a thing. Me and my best bud used to drive to the mall and each drink a root beer and share a brick of cheese (so unhealthy i know). Or just chill in the comic shop reading as we sat at the gamers table. good stuff there.

Otherwise I can't think of anything that is specifically male oriented that makes me happy to be a guy. I guess natural proneness to violence (regardless of what people say I think violence is important and has a role). Nothing gets makes me feel more manly than put the brakes on someone that needs to be taught a lesson. Or getting it in return when i need a wake up call. Which is sort of sick when i think about it...

I guess natural proneness to violence (regardless of what people say I think violence is important and has a role).

I agree here. As a husband and soon to be father (my wife is going to pop any day now) I completely understand that I have a responsibility as a protector and that violence may be necessary to protect them from some people in this world. Not all violence is bad and some of it is necessary. One of my favorite quotes is by Churchill

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

I work with children , and I can't wait to have some of my own . Just need to meet their father now :P

It's really nice seeing men who can't wait to have kids though .

LOL, I just need to find their future mom! I'm 40 and don't want to wait *that* much longer!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

My BLOG

MY NF Blog

I feel really lucky where this is concerned. My dad was pushing 40 when I was born, so I was definitely at risk for having an old man dad. Fortunately he has the spirit of a 1 year old labrador retriever when if comes to being active, and he's still out there crushing it (in his own special way) at almost 70. Seriously, he curls 6 days a week all winter, sometimes more than once a day, and golfs almost as much in the summer. Pretty inspiring.

Heh, both of my parents were almost 40 when i was born, needless to say, my father couldn't chase me around, but luckily I had 5 older brothers and 1 eldest sister to do that, but with his lack of speed, he dominated in strength, build like a line-backer, he could throw any one of us at least 10 feet in the air! Also he carried himself as the Example, when it came to how to conduct yourself, I would often think that his idea of a relaxing weekend was a piece of cardboard underneath one of the cars. The only bad part about him was that he wasn't a very open, talkative guy, if you didn't tell him anything, he thought everything was perfect.

Other than the last part, He's the kinda dad I wish to be, full of knowledge and strong enough to maintain that "My dad is the strongest person in the world" idea.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I wasn't focused on it, either... until my medically-unable-to-have-kids* girlfriend got pregnant when I was 19. I kinda started getting focused on it. :)

* Seriously, her doctor was like "Huh... that's not supposed to happen."

Drs != God (they don't know as much as they think they do). It was after we were married, but ditto for us.

And our supposedly sterile due to repeated horse/cow kickings in a bad place son is waiting for his second child to be born.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Oh, I know they're not god, but... it was along the lines of an arm growing back when no-one expected it. Bit of a story.

One reason it's great to be a guy: staring at the woman mid-coitus is SO much more pleasant and appealing than what I assume I look like.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

So what would you guys do if you were a woman for a day ?

Do I still have the mind of a man, and just the body of a woman? Or the mind and body of a woman? This would change up things in a drastic way. If the former, not sure I'd let go of my boobs all day...I would be terribly unproductive :topsy_turvy:

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Gemeaux
Do I still have the mind of a man, and just the body of a woman? Or the mind and body of a woman? This would change up things in a drastic way. If the former, not sure I'd let go of my boobs all day...I would be terribly unproductive :topsy_turvy:

Body of a woman ;)

Wow, if my mind was placed in a women's body, then I'd be with women the entire time, conducting... experiments, for science, of course ^_^;;

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Wow, if my mind was placed in a women's body, then I'd be with women the entire time, conducting... experiments, for science, of course ^_^;;

As long as you post your findings so all men can find them and be able to learn from them I guess that's cool.

Guest Snake McClain
So what would you guys do if you were a woman for a day ?

assuming i were a really great looking woman, i'd spend the entire day making not so great looking or smooth guys feel good about themselves. I'd go and talk to really nerdy guys and tell them that I hate the dbaggers that are out there. Us nerds need a confidence boost.

assuming i were a really great looking woman, i'd spend the entire day making not so great looking or smooth guys feel good about themselves. I'd go and talk to really nerdy guys and tell them that I hate the dbaggers that are out there. Us nerds need a confidence boost.

Nicely done Bruce! I like this!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*