Forums are back in action! ×

WTF? Why am I the only girl in my gym lifting weights?

I am frustrated. I admit it.

I look around in the gym & see only a sea of men in different stages of flubber-fit & the only time there's even a female within close distance is when I'm on the tread mill.

I walk up to do my sets & some random guy asks me if I need help with the weight..No that's part of the workout....I step into the squat rack only to have guys look at me like "why is she in our section of the gym" or "is she really gonna lift that?" (this does not happen every time, it's just happened too many times.)

I'd love to have a workout buddy. Seriously. I'd love to have someone that can 'spot' me & I can spot them and it would be great if it were a female because I'm all about girl power.......

I can't seem to get anyone to want to workout with me......none of my female friends.....they come up with lame excuses or just say no all together.

I have a whole week in the gym & not see another female but me in that gym and that's not okay. I don't understand why it seems I'm the only girl in my gym lifting weights.

/rant over

make every step count because in the end they all do!

You are awesome! But I've encountered this. I'm one of the few females at my gym that does lifting with the free weights. I think it all stems from this ridiculous idea that if we women lift heavy then we're going to get bulky. I used to think that. Most of the female fitness magazines and information sources still subtly push the idea that the ladies need to stay away from the weights. Even female muscle magazines fall prey to this. I hate seeing women in mags like Muscle and Fitness Hers using the tiny rubber dumbbells but they are always there.

Some of those guys are probably proud of you though. I had a guy tell me that he wished he could get his girlfriend to lift like I was with him.

Keep up the work and hopefully someone will be there for you one day. Even if they don't though, remember that you're doing what's right and awesome!

This is weird... I read about this non stop in here.That and that no one does squats and deadlifts. In every gym I have been in Bulgaria, almost everybody does squats and deadlifts. There is tons of girls that are lifting. The instructors in my current gym make the new girls squat on the first time they are there. I have been in couple of gyms that don't have that much free weights and the girls there are on the bikes... but I guess it's because they don't have that much free weights...

In the beginning was the Word,

and the Word was "Arrrgh!"

—PIRATICUS 13:7

Fitocracy

Guest Gemeaux

At my gym I have only seen a few women do weights , I am often the only girl doing weights with the boys , I kind of love it . Today I saw that a big strong , tattooed dude was lifting the same as me :)

Yadda Yadda, same as above, yadda yadda, brainwashing.

I don't have a gym membership so I wouldn't know. Maybe go Jehovah's Witness(no offense to any JW's on here) on someone at the gym - only instead of religion bust out the truth behind lifting weights and gain a workout buddy.

At my gym I have only seen a few women do weights , I am often the only girl doing weights with the boys , I kind of love it . Today I saw that a big strong , tattooed dude was lifting the same as me :)

That's awesome, I know a girl from high school who would lift more than the average guy - she was pretty awesome (and a beast in volleyball).

I can definitely see how that would be really frustrating...but frankly it just makes you *AWESOME*.

Matt

This does make you awesome. At my gym, I sometimes see a woman come in, squat or dead, then move back to cables or treadmills. I do look at them, not out of some sort of "WTF this is the men's section", more out of a "I hope she's got good form, I hope I see this more often" kinda fascination. Keep it up!

This is weird... I read about this non stop in here.That and that no one does squats and deadlifts. In every gym I have been in Bulgaria, almost everybody does squats and deadlifts. There is tons of girls that are lifting. The instructors in my current gym make the new girls squat on the first time they are there. I have been in couple of gyms that don't have that much free weights and the girls there are on the bikes... but I guess it's because they don't have that much free weights...

Awesomeness for Bulgaria! Can you guys export some of that?

I have a whole week in the gym & not see another female but me in that gym and that's not okay. I don't understand why it seems I'm the only girl in my gym lifting weights.

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there,

Eighty are just targets,

Nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one,

One is a warrior,

And he will bring the others back.

- Heraclitus

(y'know, just put a "she" in there instead) :)

Embrace it. You're setting yourself apart. Do it enough, and other will follow your example.

Since I obviously don't know what it feels like to be a girl alone in the weight room, I'll take your word for it that it's frustrating. But take our word on it from our perspective, that it just makes you stand out as a shining example of awesome.

Chin up, keep rocking!

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Eighty are just targets,

Nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.

Ah, but the one,

One is a warrior,

- Heraclitus

Love that^.a lot.

Welcome to the world of female lifting. I'm lucky enough to have a female friend to lift with but I've done it solo, too. Only recently have I started seeing 1. trainers bring women to the actual squat rack and not the smith machine, and 2. women in the free weights section on their own.

Sadly, 95% of the people, men and women, in the free weights section don't know what their doing or do squats and deadlifts. Actually, I think just myself, my friend and one other guy do deadlifts to be honest... so, yeah. I'd say it's annoying and frustrating but I don't care. Less people to hog my squat rack. :D

btw--yay ga! I'm jealous of your proximity to the coast :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Ditto the awesome. It just reinforces the girl power! Good for you!

Ditto this.

I guess I'm fortunate in a way because there's quite a few women who lift at my gym. We're still heinously outnumbered, but at least when I venture into that area, I'm not completely alone. Oddly enough, I still get the weird looks sometimes, even if I'm with my husband or my trainer and there's three women within 20 feet of me lifting away. Maybe it's because I appear to be out of shape, so when the squat bar gets loaded to 200+ they're freaking out? Or maybe, all of us girls get the looks, but we're just all so darn awesome for being there in the first place that we just ignore them. :)

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Eighty are just targets,

Ah, but the one,

One is a warrior,

- Heraclitus

Embrace it. You're setting yourself apart. Do it enough, and other will follow your example.

Since I obviously don't know what it feels like to be a girl alone in the weight room, I'll take your word for it that it's frustrating. But take our word on it from our perspective, that it just makes you stand out as a shining example of awesome.

Chin up, keep rocking!

x2! Couldn't have said it better. I'm so proud that my wife has started squatting and deadlifting. And the funny part about it that she loves it, now that she's actually doing it. She's even started complaining about guys that use the squat rack for curls! Almost brings a tear to my eye.

I'm the only girl lifting in my gym (home gym, so...yeah), my mom is the only girl lifting in her gym (anytime fitness), etc.

We're a sisterhood, even miles apart. I'll bet if you could get us all together in one spot, they'd have to build a gym bigger than a Costco to contain us!

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Guest Snake McClain
Brainwashing is rife.

that's your reason right there. There are too many misconceptions. that being strong equals big and burly. untrue. i won't go on and on here but it seems to me that a lot of women are just mislead into thinking if they work out a certain way that is okay but if they do this (heavy lifting) it is not okay. I think it's awesome when women lift big.

On the other hand the men in the gym who think you need help...like you don't know what you're doing...they are idiots. I can't speak for their reasons for approaching you like you're a damsel in distress, but they need to get over themselves.

I just got a gym membership and so far have only used the treadmill (running outside makes my knees hurt, and I like doing intervals on it!), and have never seen ladies in the back doing free weights.

This is going to change soon, though... I also got 2 free personal training sessions and I plan on making him show me in person, proper form for some of the good stuff - deadlift, squat, among others. I'll show them!

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge

thanks for the encouragement y'all!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2438[/ATTACH]

since I got these sweet tats it's been even more so.lol. I don't mind the questions, I knew there would be those few people who were like wtf? but admittedly when I'm doing dl or sqauts those tats make me feel even more awesome. lol! (these are tats #3 and #4) and whenever I look down at my guy on my wrist I will be like "he's my workout buddy".lol

when the girlie girls are doing their treads & turn around and see me they sometimes shake their heads. Makes me want to say something but I never do. I'm 5'0" tall and maybe they wonder what I'm gonna do with that.....I don't know. I don't understand the mindset of putting on make up & then coming to the gym. If you don't plan on sweating and being a mess then why go?

I am frustrated. I admit it.

I look around in the gym & see only a sea of men in different stages of flubber-fit & the only time there's even a female within close distance is when I'm on the tread mill.

I walk up to do my sets & some random guy asks me if I need help with the weight..No that's part of the workout....I step into the squat rack only to have guys look at me like "why is she in our section of the gym" or "is she really gonna lift that?" (this does not happen every time, it's just happened too many times.)

I'd love to have a workout buddy. Seriously. I'd love to have someone that can 'spot' me & I can spot them and it would be great if it were a female because I'm all about girl power.......

I can't seem to get anyone to want to workout with me......none of my female friends.....they come up with lame excuses or just say no all together.

/rant over

post-5854-13567243503235_thumb.jpg

make every step count because in the end they all do!

since I got these sweet tats it's been even more so.lol. I don't mind the questions, I knew there would be those few people who were like wtf? but admittedly when I'm doing dl or sqauts those tats make me feel even more awesome. lol! (these are tats #3 and #4) and whenever I look down at my guy on my wrist I will be like "he's my workout buddy".lol

when the girlie girls are doing their treads & turn around and see me they sometimes shake their heads. Makes me want to say something but I never do. I'm 5'0" tall and maybe they wonder what I'm gonna do with that.....I don't know. I don't understand the mindset of putting on make up & then coming to the gym. If you don't plan on sweating and being a mess then why go?

Bean- you ARE awesome! I'm usually the only girl in the weights area at my gym too-

I love the idea of us all being a sisterhood of sorts! That makes me so proud!!!

Oh man, I love your knitting skeleton. Knitters unite!

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge

Eighty are just targets,

Ah, but the one,

One is a warrior,

- Heraclitus

Great Quote Knightwatch!

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.â€

― Thucydides

omg. You all make me feel so welcomed!

I'm doing my masters in knitting so I thought it appropriate ;)

just for me & you guys I'm going to go in and lift in y'alls honor today :o)

lift on!

Holy cow, a master's in knitting? That's awesome!! Do you have a ravelry account?

Level 1 Wood Elf Druid

First Challenge