Boxerrebel's Battle Log!

So it begins.

(The battle log. Not the battle itself. That began in March. Or in July 1987. Or whenever.)

Stats:

Female, 5'6" (these should not change.)

Starting Weight: 215# (March 2012)

Current: 165#, 25% BF (estimated)

PRs:

Dead Lift: 195#

Rack Pull: 207#

Back Squat: 190#

Clean: 67#

Pull-Ups: 5 (with band)

[background: I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome/hypermobility and have had reconstruction of my right shoulder, so I'm limited in some ways. My strength on stuff like cleans, bench press, etc. is not proportional to my strength in other areas as a consequence. I also almost always have some joint issues going on.]

Yesterday's workout:

Strength/skillz portion was working on power cleans. Past PR was 57#. Got up to 67# for 3 reps during this workout.

Note for myself: I was most successful when I stopped thinking about the elements of the movement and allowed my muscle memory to take over.

The rest of the workout:

Squats (155/165# for the singles, 100/65/60 for the higher reps)

Seated Row (55# for the singles, 32.5/27.5/20 for the higher reps)

Reps were 1-10-1-20-1-30.

This workout was not my usual, and not my favourite. It was OK. I don't like doing single squats - don't get enough depth.

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.†-Mark Twain

Emma, Level 2 RangerSTR 7|DEX 2|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 7|CHA 3

PRs:| Dead Lift: 220# | Squat: 205# | Bench Press: 90# | Power Clean: 67#

Battle Log | Challenge Thread

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Did 20 mins of HIIT on the spin bike this evening! Intervals were 20s on:30s off.

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.†-Mark Twain

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Today's Battle Against Gravity:

1-10-1-20-1-30 reps of Lat Pull, set at 55/40/55/35/55/27.5#

Then AMRAP in 15 mins of:

"Power Clean Breakdown"

6 Rack Pull (150#)

6 Box Jumps (18")

6 Sumo Deadlift High Pull (45#)

6 Front Squats (65#)

6 Lateral Raise (10#)

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Oh your workouts look fun! I'm gonna be watching.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thursday mornings are mini-workouts (max 30 minutes) - usually a Crossfit named workout.

Today was "Fran": 21-15-9 reps of Thrusters and Pull Ups. Finished it in 9:10.

It's worth mentioning that I had never done a Thruster before this morning. *shrug* Go big or go home, right? So, I showed up at the gym, did a skill progression (strict overhead press --> push press --> thruster) to learn the movement, then cranked out the workout.

FUN. :D

I Haz a Fitness Blog

15 minutes of spintervals (i.e. HIIT on the spin bike) done this evening. Kept it short because I have a heavy workout scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Today's Battle:

Strength Portion:

15-12-9-6-3

Front Squats (which turned into back squats because my wrists are assh*les) (weights: 65#/95/105/115/125)

Seated Row (weights: 32.5/37.5/42.5/47.5/52.5)

Metabolic portion:

3 rounds for time:

20 dead lifts (135#)

20 box jumps (18")

(we didn't actually get a time recorded because there was an interruption between rounds 2 and 3, but I was on pace for maybe 12 minutes)

I was a total suck-fest today. I felt weak and tired and my hands hurt and my wrists failed and ugh. But I got 'er done, and the next time will be better.

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Battle Du Jour:

3 rounds for time:

6 dead lifts (150#)

10 box jumps

6 back squats (135#)

10 box jumps

6 power cleans (45#)

10 box jumps

----------------

6 TRX row

20 hollow body rocks

6 overhead press (25#)

20 hollow body

6 bench press (55#)

20 hollow body

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Your workouts look so fun, and you're crushing them! How did your pull ups go when you did Fran? 21 pull ups scare the crap out of me, especially since I can only do 2-3 and have only tried kipping once.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Your workouts look so fun, and you're crushing them! How did your pull ups go when you did Fran? 21 pull ups scare the crap out of me, especially since I can only do 2-3 and have only tried kipping once.

I LOVE my workouts! I work with a personal trainer because I have EDS, which affects my joint stability, and he creates the BEST program for me!

The 21 pull-ups were intense. The most I had done prior to Fran was 5. I did the 21 by doing 10 reps/6 reps/5 reps with a few seconds to rest in between. Pull-ups are definitely not my strong suit, but it was a good challenge!

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Today's WOD:

Every Minute On the Minute, for 16 rounds:

3 dead lifts (165#)

3 pull-ups

-------------

3 back squats (135#)

5 push-ups

This was fun! I'm definitely getting stronger at pull-ups, which makes me optimistic about my challenge goal.

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Today's Battle:

Dead lift strength work - doubles at 130#-150-170-190-200-205 for a new PR!

Then 3 rounds for time:

5 push ups

10 renegade row

15 dumbbell squats

20 kettlebell swings

Woot! I LOVE new PRs!

I Haz a Fitness Blog

This morning's battle:

9-7-7-5-5-5

Dumbbell Press 30#-35-35-35-35-35-35 (damn my weak shoulders :P )

Lat Pulls 42.5-47.5-50-47.5-50-50

21-15-9

Squats (135#)

Kettle Bell Swings

Push Press (25#)

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Today's workout:

Every minute on the minute x20

6 KB swings (53#)

6/8 Seated Row (35#)

----------------

6 Box Jumps

6 Bench Press (65#)

I Haz a Fitness Blog

This morning's battle:

5-5-3-3-2-3-2

Squats

at 115-135-165-175-185-195-195

New PR!

5-3-2

Thrusters

at 45-55-65

Then a met con workout:

20s-45s-60s-20s each of unbroken

Dead lifts (135#)

Push Ups

Lat Pulls (40#)

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Battle Du Jour:

AMRAP 10 minutes:

1. 10 Box Jumps/10 Dead Lifts (135#)

2. 5 Push Press (45#)/10 Squats (135#)

3. 10 Seated Row (40#)/10 Bench Press (55#)

Finished with some work on overhead squats and hollow body rocks.

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Today's WOD:

Every Minute On the Minute, for 16 rounds:

3 dead lifts (165#)

3 pull-ups

-------------

3 back squats (135#)

5 push-ups

So you did the top 2, rest, bottom 2, rest, and 2 min have elapsed? That looks fun. I'd try it if I had 2 barbells...

I've been watching, just not commenting. I'm going to bookmark this so i can come back later and copy some of these, so awesome.

500 / 330 / 625

So you did the top 2, rest, bottom 2, rest, and 2 min have elapsed? That looks fun. I'd try it if I had 2 barbells...

Yup - you alternate the sets, so for 16 minutes you end up doing 8 sets of each pair of exercises. It's a GREAT mini-workout - in and out of the gym in under 30 minutes, and serious hard work!

I Haz a Fitness Blog

The Battle:

1. Environmental Law exam - 3 hours.

2. Strength workout:

3-3-3-2-2-2

Split Jerk

Back Squat

Hit a new PR of 200# on the squats! Woot!

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Yesterday's battle: Evidence Law exam (a 100% final).

Today's Battle:

Strength: Dead Lifts

Warm up - 5x130, 5x150

Then 5-3-3-2-1-1

170-190-195-200-210 **new PR!**

Workout:

21-15-9

Pull-Ups

Push-Ups

Front Squats (40#)

I Haz a Fitness Blog

I like your style of going for short time, high intensity. I'm starting now and trying the same, using bodyweight workouts and track runs.

English isn't my native language so I'll have to study a bit to realize what exactly you're doing each time, but I liked it! I'll follow.

An important thing that you said in the beginning is that your have some limitations. I have a few too (joint pain, bow-legged), so I have to adapt the exercises.

To me, it's fundamental to pay attention to what the body says and adapting, not only using canned exercises.

Way to go!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Felipe, level 1 Eladrin Ranger

STR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 4

[/TABLE]
I like your style of going for short time, high intensity. I'm starting now and trying the same, using bodyweight workouts and track runs.

English isn't my native language so I'll have to study a bit to realize what exactly you're doing each time, but I liked it! I'll follow.

An important thing that you said in the beginning is that your have some limitations. I have a few too (joint pain, bow-legged), so I have to adapt the exercises.

To me, it's fundamental to pay attention to what the body says and adapting, not only using canned exercises.

Way to go!

In my experience, short time/high intensity is the way to go - I've had much better results than friends who started working out around the same time I did, but have been doing higher volume of exercise at lower intensity.

If you want me to clarify any of the elements of the workouts for you, I'm happy to do so!

Listening to my body and understanding my limitations - especially which are real, physical limitations and which are only in my mind - has been key for me. I find that a willingness to push slightly beyond what I think is possible for me has helped me make a lot of progress, but I always keep in mind that it is not a competition - sometimes I choose to be conservative and remind myself that fitness is a life-long pursuit and that injuring myself will set me back. Over time, I have learned to distinguish between discomfort that is normal for me after a hard workout, and pain that signals that I need to move more slowly with a certain exercise.

Good luck!

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Battle du jour:

Family Law take-home exam.

Fitness-wise:

AMRAP in 45 minutes:

20 lunges (25#)

15 dead lifts (135#)

10 pull-ups

20 pistol squats

15 box jumps

10 push ups

20 renegade row (15#)

15 kettlebell swings (45#)

10 push press (25#)

WICKED. I'm toast.

I Haz a Fitness Blog

Battle:

3x 5 minute rounds "for points"

(i.e. one minute to do maximum number of reps of each exercise, then move on to the next)

Squats (100#)

Push Press (35#)

Sumo Deadlift High Pull (45#)

Barbell Row (45#)

Pistol Squats

My scores: 91/91/100

Light weights, but high intensity. I'm pretty tired for having done 15 minutes total exercise. :P

I Haz a Fitness Blog