Forums are back in action! ×

Nerd Fitness Spoiled Me

and now I want every one in real life to be just like you guys.

Why?

Because NF Rebels don't limit themselves. It's rare to hear a Rebel say, "I can't do that." When a Rebel is presented with something terrifying and hard they go for it. They don't always succeed but they always learn and they never give up.

A Rebel doesn't use excuses when they (zomg!) fail. A Rebel is honest about why they did or didn't accomplish their goals. A Rebel takes ownership of their life.

So, so, so many people I come in contact with daily say, "I can't." or "I'd love to but it'll take years to learn." or "I'm too old to change my ways/for that." etc, so on and blah blah womp womp

And I say

hurr-durr-derp-face-o-rly.jpg

because I bet I know a bunch of people who never stop learning, don't believe in that too old crap and CAN.

So thank you Nerd Fitness for ruining me for the rest of the damn world. :D

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Not mention people at NF draw awesome avatars for you.... :P

And I'm not gonna lie, I say I can't or that would take forever sometimes.... but not here. Here is a place for being grrrrrreat! (Yes, you must say this in the Tony the Tiger voice.) If it's a tangible thing though? Like.... deadlifting the weight of a Wookie or conquering GHD sit-ups? I just want it more.

I'm also with you on the "too old" stuff. My dad is turning 70 this year and asked me for some advice on caloric intake a few months back because he wasn't happy with how heavy he'd gotten. He went at it and lost like... 15 pounds within the first 6 weeks! And was doing push ups and sit ups every morning and night. My mom is 67 and did a short training program to teach some skill or other and has been traveling around to other villages in Alaska this spring. That's why I'm working on getting healthy NOW because I want to be as amazing as them. No excuses.

You're right, why can't everyone in the real world be like we are here? Should NF buy an island? ;)

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I agree here! I hear lots of "I should" and "I don't have the time" in real life. It can seep into your subconscious which is where NF helps. I caught myself saying I "should" do something last night and it was revelatory. I needed to correct myself mid-sentence to say I "will".

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Yes!! A NF takeover!! Muwaahahah!!

I'm so tired of hearing people say they're "too old" to lose weight or "it was easy for you because you're young". What they don't realize is I'm going to be 38 this year. I'm *barely* younger than some of the people who have said this lame excuse to me. "I've had two children. My body has changed. I don't have time." No, I've had two children and a full time job. If I can find time anyone can!

I love that I never hear those excuses here! Only people being inspires and full of awesome.

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused:

NF ruined me too.

I was with a friend in a public place and was going to do burpees outside. I'm so used to hearing encouraging comments from people here that I was really surprised and disappointed when he told me not to do them. Burpees hurt? It's weird doing them public? People will look at me funny? Bah, excuses!

Yes, yes, and more YES!

Never been part of community that is this great and supportive. Never been part of a forum without the trolls and the constant "1-upping". NF is definitely a breath of super fresh air!

As with the "shoulds", "coulds", "too old", "too tired", etc. Just experienced this with a friend this morning. Her roommate asked her to put together a workout regimen, which she did. Then, just last night when asked how it was going and pushing her to continue with it, my friend was interpreted as being "snippy". Her roommate didn't even last a full week because of all the lousy excuses.

I see this in real life all the time, so glad I don't here :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

NF shouldn't buy an island we should just take over the world.

I'll go put my conquering pants on.

I've only been around for a few weeks but this place is a veritable cornucopia of good vibes. Usually forums are where you see the worst sides of humanity, I guess NF is the counter balance to that.

The line that I like is "Man, I've gotta start doing something..." Well do it, talking about it's not getting you anywhere. I used to say that a lot myself, so it really strikes home with me how easy it is to not do that "something" but now I know how good it feels to do that "something"

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

NF ruined me too. Between youse guys and the freakin awesome trainer I have, I've managed to join a boot camp, sign up for an obstacle course, consider competing in heavy weightlifting, and generally kind of kick ass.

And I was out on a busy bridge overpass last friday sprinting the stairs and doing push ups up and down the stairs. I never would have done this before.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Not mention people at NF draw awesome avatars for you.... :P

I think you mean Queens at NF draw awesome avatars... 'cause they do!

NF shouldn't buy an island we should just take over the world.

See, there's that go get 'em spirit I love so much! Viva the Rebellion!

NF Forum Members: Ruining your real world interaction since 2010.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA exactly.

Yes! I love that you all see it, too. Well, maybe I don't love that there are so many excuse making, not interested in leveling up their lives folks out there but you know what I mean! It's starting to drive me a little crazy, honestly.

Example: Monday evening I was stretching post workout near a trainer and his client. He was having her do side plank. She said, "Peeeeeeete, I can't do that!" I wanted to say, "I'm sorry, is your arm broken? Your leg? Anything? No? Then STFU and side plank. kthanksbye."

And this is why I never pursued training certification :devilish:

@Max, yes! That something is addicting. It's like throwing water on gremlins. Before you know it you've done hundreds of things that you always said you should/would do.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

NF ruined me too. Between youse guys and the freakin awesome trainer I have, I've managed to join a boot camp, sign up for an obstacle course, consider competing in heavy weightlifting, and generally kind of kick ass.

And I was out on a busy bridge overpass last friday sprinting the stairs and doing push ups up and down the stairs. I never would have done this before.

Something about you doing that in Philly makes it more bad ass.

You know, this negative attitude that's so prevalent goes deeper. People resign themselves to an undetermined fate. If it's yet to happen then the outcome is not set. Stop acting like it is. Don't assume that you're destined to have a fat ass and hunched shoulders because most of your family did when they got older. Do something to counteract those 'genetics'. You think you'll always be on meds or a ailed by an illness? Why? Because a doctor said so? Why can't you do everything in your power to change that? You can. You can fight it. You may not always win. You may never come off medication you're on. You may end up with something else. But you don't know until you make the effort. You'll never get that promotion? No, not with that attitude. You don't think you're as qualified for that job as you "should" be so you're not going to apply? Then you sure as hell won't get it...

I could go on and on but I'll step off my ranty soap box :P

I LOVE your rant. I feel the same way as you, and I see this every time I look at my mom. She's at least 100 pounds overweight, and blames it on the fact that she has bad arthritis in her ankle (which she does). But trying to explain to her that the more she doesn't move, the heavier she'll be, and the heavier she gets, the harder it'll be for her to move is me wasting my breath. One reason why I really love this site and plan...it breaks it down into easy managable pieces that even an extremely out of shape/overweight person could manage.

Yeah, "I don't have time/am to old for this" is the grown-up version of "the dog ate my homework"

Still, there is a saying: "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet". I think we can convert this into NF slang: "An unhealthy living person is just a rebel we haven't recruited yet". I certainly said "that's genetics" a lot before I came here. I didn't know any better - and so do others. But no one is lost as long as communities as this continue to lead by example :)

I am badass in Philly. All ya'all come! BTW, one boot camp trainer said "everyone avoid the puke" while we were working out. Hilarious in that kind of city way things are hilarious.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I LOVE your rant. Someone was recently telling me "but I just can't eat primal. I can't give up pasta, McDonald's, soda, etc.". My reply "people give up the crack and the heroin every day and I'm guessing that's harder than not going through a drive through". I just couldn't listen any more. And this after I'd said just eat better... forget the primal/paleo stuff, just make better choices. Nope. Because by "hearing" primal, the person had a ready excuse as to why it couldn't be done.

I AM going the distance

I love this forum because of that attitude. When I get in my I can't modeI come here and my sucky attitude changes. I can take over the world! or at the very least do a pull up:smug:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Archived